What is the big draw to Foils ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

What is the big draw to Foils ?

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:59 pm

BigPaul
Post subject: Re: The F-One KiteFoil is there and complements the foil boaUnread postPosted: 21 Apr 2015 14:38
Frequent Poster

I hope this is not a stupid question and it probably is. but what is the big draw to Foils?

Is it just the way it feels/rides etc or is it something else?

I know there must be something to it as they are in mass production now. I just don't see the draw.

Cheers
P

Brian Camet
Post subject: Re: The F-One KiteFoil is there and complements the foil boaUnread postPosted: 21 Apr 2015 15:53
Rare Poster

It's the feeling of flying, speed, freedom and the ability to sail in locations where there is less wind. Giving you more days out on the water. For the guys/gals who race its less painful on their body then a race board. It makes people happy!

borist
Post subject: Re: The F-One KiteFoil is there and complements the foil boaUnread postPosted: 21 Apr 2015 19:20
Medium Poster

Speed / light wind /around the course performance is what makes many to try the foil. There is more to it though, a lot more. Sensation of the 3rd dimension added to the board ride. To me it is like skiing in 6 foot deep west coast powder on a steep slope as opposed to groomed terrain or moguls. Very different ride, strange and wonderful.

On the top there is the challenge of learning new skills and great feeling of accomplishment
Just wanted to start this a a seperate thread, as it came into a specific thread.

Tried to copy/paste the three posts, I think it is okay readable.

8) PF

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: What is the big draw to Foils ?

Postby Tone » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:03 pm

The feeling.

Once you're up and running, even in super light winds, you're going SO fast for the wind speed that it really feels impossible to move that fast given the pull in the kite.

I took delivery of a Suunto Ambit3 GPS watch today. Hope to post some speeds v wind speeds this week.

That and it looks hella cool....

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:00 pm

Speed, upwindability, jumping height, smooth in chop, comfort, magical feel

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 pm

I think we all agree on one thing: "The Feel" :thumb:

Speed means nothing to me, but for some it is awesome, great to have both :D

The smooth feeling, the POWER you get in marginal winds when foiling, and the awesome nirvana feel you get when carving/jibing both in flat water or waves - it feels like riding waves even in flat water, just even better and more smooth :naughty:

The new dimension, the "3D" you got now, and that you can ride upwind or downwind just as easy, and mowing the lawn is history, simply NOT possible anymore :wink:

The "Feel" is impossible to explain - we try to do it in this thread, but I think those who has never tried it, who are not racing, still dont get it ?

The smooth ride, the ability to have extreme fun, often MORE fun, in light wind than more wind, and to maneuver in both flat water and waves carving and doing tricks and "learning" things, is what it is all about for me :rollgrin:

The other plus side is, that if you got family and other obligations - you can now ride EVERY day if you want, meaning, you can ride on the days you have the time for it, and you dont have to be a PITA for everybody else, because they never know if you can come to planned events or not...
And if you are "forced" to go, and it is windy, you will really be a grumpy bastard :cry:

This is a thing of the past - you can ride almost whenever you want, so no more "I have to go" situations - you will be much more well balanced and not "desperate" to get out :lol:

But still, the major "Big Draw" for me, is the feel :rollgrin:

8) PF

lander
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:37 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
The other plus side is, that if you got family and other obligations - you can now ride EVERY day if you want, meaning, you can ride on the days you have the time for it, and you dont have to be a PITA for everybody else, because they never know if you can come to planned events or not...
And if you are "forced" to go, and it is windy, you will really be a grumpy bastard :cry:

This is a thing of the past - you can ride almost whenever you want, so no more "I have to go" situations - you will be much more well balanced and not "desperate" to get out :lol:

8) PF
Not true for me :( I am adicted, a surfoholic and the more I get, the more I want. So still as unbalanced as ever, and desperate to get my surf fix. And since the foil is a even better feeling I want it even more.

Lucky for me, I have a very understanding wife ;)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:08 pm

I know, I have it the same way - because there are so many things to learn and explore.

So these first years we "want it bad", even if we have to go out every day, yes :thumb:

I think this will (or can be) changed during the coming years when more experience (but I dont know) - as right now I feel like when starting out for the first years windsurf and surf and kitesurf, and you wanted MORE !

So the only thing that has changed, is that now you CAN go out every day almost, and you do it - so your family is even harder "struck" in this very respect :roll:

But at least you CAN miss days without the world going under - this was not the case with windsurfing, or wave kitesurfing, where the very few epic days HAD to be used, no matter what :rollgrin:

8) PF

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:24 pm

What I like best is that you either are, or not, flying the foil.
So any moves are either done or not.
This adds validation to progression, and the list of possibilities seems huge.
And as said, so strange to be flying along at what feels like a fast speed for lower wind, missing a flying stance change or turn, and realising that your kite will barley stay aloft for the water start.
The sensation can definitely be an addictive drug for some, myself included.
Xcellent fix 2day, tomorrow?
R H

paulOz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Hampton and Brighton, Victoria Australia.
Style: HF WW in order of preference.
Gear: KBHF - Jshapes (wonderful)
OR flites

Postby paulOz » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:04 pm

One day you may have this attraction (if not now). As an old guy with buggered knees, when i crack foiling i hope to have less pain after a good session. Keep me going longer me hopes. Cheers

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Randahl » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:40 am

The acceleration when you are just cruising, then you heel to windward and set your foil against your kite.

lupociotto
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cattle creek
neusiedl am see
dickaubucht
lipno
Favorite Beaches: cattle creek
thick floodplain bay
playa di famara
tramatza
spiagga lunga
gwithian