Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strapless jibes

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Strapless jibes

Postby IanNJ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:21 am

Im getting these 50% of the time, mostly touch down jibes. They are 100% not graceful. What am i missing? Should i be going fast or slow? Any other tips?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Strapless jibes

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:59 am

It has more to do with your foil's aspect ratio, low aspect wings are much easier than high aspect wings.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:19 am

This one is strapless

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 am

Well, you're ahead of me, IanNJ. I was able to do some on the water jibes last fall, but so far not this spring. I don't have a flat water spot, so I'm sure that's part of it.

Gunnar has a good video in which he explains how to do it:
https://vimeo.com/102049540
He's using straps, but the principle should be the same.

He says go into it with speed or it won't work. He says also to keep the kite high and pull in on the bar to make yourself weightless--maybe that's supposed to be when you switch your feet. It would be nice also if an expert could write down the steps or things to do sequentially. Something like:
1) with the kite high (say 45 deg off the water) turn it back
2) turn the board back to follow the kite
3) once you're headed in the opposite direction switch your feet (some details here would be good, like, maybe, push your front foot down a little (?) then hop and switch stance)

IanNJ, please post if you find any tricks as you practice.

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:11 pm

The first two videos are worthless and boring. Gunners video is great. Thats what i needed im on the right track with the pointers it should help.

SpunMonkey
Medium Poster
Style: Directionals, foils, and sailing
Gear: Foils, underwater and in the air

Postby SpunMonkey » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:50 pm

Johhnn wrote: Gunnar has a good video in which he explains how to do it:
https://vimeo.com/102049540
He's using straps, but the principle should be the same.

He says go into it with speed or it won't work. He says also to keep the kite high and pull in on the bar to make yourself weightless--maybe that's supposed to be when you switch your feet. It would be nice also if an expert could write down the steps or things to do sequentially

Gunnar's video is spot on. I used it myself when figuring out how to gybe. I agree that strapped or strapless, the motions are the same.

Please take what I written here as my experiences. I am no expert. Take what parts work for you. As I do more and more, things change. Some steps become less important.

-
Heading downwind I say to myself that this ones going to work, I pick a spot to begin

As I approach the spot I begin to send the kite overhead by pulling on my back hand

When kite is about 10-11 (my experience) I turn the board slightly upwind

As the kite first begins to come overhead or even slightly on my back hand I do a little nose up of the board.

I pull on the bar to unweight myself, and push the new front foot into its spot using some of the force to begin rolling over the board into the new direction. Keeping my knees well forward of my hips.

Now I begin the downloop in the kite by pulling on the hand that was my forward hand going into this gybe as I move my new back foot back to its spot and steer through the turn.

This is the scary part. Line tension or not I must commit to gliding through the turn on foil. The kite will come and provide tension. Practice makes this smoother.

I'm finding the more I do the more straightforward they become. I don't need to turn the board upwind and also the nose up doesn't seem as important now that I'm trusting the front wing to glide me through and support my weight while I switch my feet.

Still working towards that full on 25 knot deep downwind gube.

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hawaiis » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:31 pm

Low aspect wings are like F22 jet fighters, they can turn on a dime.
High Aspect wings are like gliders, they need a larger turning radius.
The longer you stay pointed downwind, the more likely the kite will fall.
The trick is to turn your board as fast as you can.
To turn quickly, foot straps will allow you to apply more force to turn quickly.

Return to “Hydrofoil”