Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Larger wings for larger guys.

Postby diogovilla » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi,

Besides using larger boards, will we see larger guys using larger wings in the future?

darippah
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nj
Style: Freestyle, Strapless waves

Re: Larger wings for larger guys.

Postby darippah » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:10 am

doubt its necessary

tkettlepoint
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Jellyfish boards custom boards
Brand Affiliation: Jellyfish Boards

Postby tkettlepoint » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:13 am

220lbs on this in 8-10knots on a 12 pivot
but yes I am going to make bigger wings also for learning and us bigger guys in lighter winds

terrie
www.jellyfishboards.com
Attachments
20150423_130118.jpg
_MG_1375ed.jpg

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used

Postby Jollydriver » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:29 am

Hydrofoil wings can generate lift in one of two ways; speed or wing area/characteristics (such as aspect ratio). Speed is more efficient, as that value is squared in the simplified lift calculation, while area is not.

In light wind, lower speed applications (to include wave riding or free riding in wind speeds of 3-5 m/s), wings with greater areas will give one option for getting the required lift for a heavier rider.

As for a current real world example of a company addressing this, Moses offers their free ride wing in 425mm and 450mm widths.

Reference this thread from BraCuru (Moses Team rider) and they suggest the FR450 for riders 100 kilos and up: viewtopic.php?t=2388923&p=889807

JD

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:57 am

Of course larger wings are needed for larger riders, and opposite for lighter ones :thumb:

Just like with "normal" boards, different sizes used because of weight differences.

It is not proportional though, as larger riders use bigger kites, as they get more vertical lift from the kite.

Because of this, the difference is not huge, but with huge weight differences, it will be there.

Brands often have a big race wing and a smaller one, so to some extent the riders will just "change" size at a different wind speed, if different weights.

I dont think we are talking about "the future", as larger riders ARE using larger wings now (just as larger kites of course) :rollgrin:

8) Peter

diogovilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Praia do Coqueiro - Piaui - Brazil

Postby diogovilla » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:01 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: Brands often have a big race wing and a smaller one, so to some extent the riders will just "change" size at a different wind speed, if different weights.
8) Peter
Hi Peter,

I am not thinking on race wings. I'm thinking on all beginners buying their first foil. They are being offered "freeride wings". Should those wings be available in bigger sizes for riders like me (>100kg)?

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster

Postby pierre.d » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:40 am

I don't think it is necessary, a bigger board might be interesting to start easily
but a big standard freeride wing should be ok for your weight.

On my case I started with a big wing at 80kg and I have seen quickly that I need a smaller wing
to ride faster and to foil in more wind.
I still use my big wing for very light wind, with your weight you will probably need 1 or 2 extra knots but it should be ok.

(I have an alpine foil)

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:36 pm

darippah wrote:doubt its necessary
why? because you are the statistical 75kg or you have another influential reason in mind?

eree
Very Frequent Poster

Postby eree » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Of course larger wings are needed for larger riders, and opposite for lighter ones :thumb:
Just like with "normal" boards, different sizes used because of weight differences.
It is not proportional though, as larger riders use bigger kites, as they get more vertical lift from the kite.
Because of this, the difference is not huge, but with huge weight differences, it will be there.
Brands often have a big race wing and a smaller one, so to some extent the riders will just "change" size at a different wind speed, if different weights.
I dont think we are talking about "the future", as larger riders ARE using larger wings now (just as larger kites of course) :rollgrin:
8) Peter
bigger kiters use not only bigger kites but also bigger boards. in some cases size of the board is more inportant than the size of the kite. with the so called "high performance" kites you don't have any significant "vertical" lift. don't try to fool the public!

water is much more dense than the air.
heavier rider has more advantage of using the board with more buoyancy/lift than just with using kite with no powerful profile (eg "high performance")

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:19 pm

Sorry, you lost me there ?

Heavier riders use bigger kites, and bigger boards, and bigger wings - is what I said, although not proportional to weight as a vector sum of all (eventhough the board size is not important once up foiling - but kite size and wing size is) :D .

A performance kite (max upwind and of course only foil kites) has a lot more power than both a high power or a low power (flat profile) tube kite, and besides, heavier riders typically use tube kites with more power, compared to lighter riders - for the same "feel" and control.

Could you clarify your point with above posting - sorry, I didnt get it :roll:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”