Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How to downloop the kite strapless when starting?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

How to downloop the kite strapless when starting?

Postby fun2kite » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:44 pm

Hi All,

Downlooping the kite is a technique used in foiling to get started as it generates more pull and helps to get the board going fast enough to start flying on a foil.

But when trying to start strapless, my hand is holding the board against my feet and I only have one hand controlling the kite. Is it possible to downloop and if so, what is the technique?

I can barely enough time to release the board and grab the kite when diving it. Also position is very unstable first couple of seconds without straps, so downlooping may just whoosh you off the balance and off the board.

Any advise?

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Re: How to downloop the kite strapless when starting?

Postby darippah » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:41 pm

I find that i only need one hand on the bar until the kite generates enough pull that i dont need to hold the board anymore. So just have to be quick at it, practice makes perfect

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:09 pm

I park the kite slightly downwind to create resistance on the board to free my hands like in the vimeo. Most of the times when the wind is too light down loop does not work.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:59 am

darippah wrote:I find that i only need one hand on the bar until the kite generates enough pull that i dont need to hold the board anymore. So just have to be quick at it, practice makes perfect
Exactly, it is really easy and used all the time, both with 18m2 power foil kites, or 5m2 tubes :D

Hold the board with your back hand, tilted, same way as we (most of us) always start strapless.

Instead of just diving the kite down with your front (only) hand on the bar - you just pull it all the way around for a downloop - really really easy and the only way to start in lulls or with huge kites in marginal winds :rollgrin:

The trick is, when you use the biggest kites in marginal wind - to hold the board edged with your back hand, NOT having your feet on the board yet - and then pull the kite for the downloop with your front hand.
A 10 to 18m2 foilkite in marginal wind is really slow turning from the top, so the trick is to wait till it turns and starts diving fast.
If you dont wait, you will fail :o
As the kite accelerates down, you simply let go of the board with your back hand, and put your feet on the board - and voila - the downloop will make you able to start and usually even up foiling in one smooth move, even in super underpowered conditions :thumb:

Easy, when you learn the timing - namely to WAIT when big kites, and with the small kites you just let go immediately and loop/step up, as they turn and pull instantly :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”