Style: HF,
Gear: Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Airush Ultra, Storm Voyager, Gong strutless
LFSolo
Moses HF.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Controlling sword hight when riding.

Postby Wielandt » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:27 am

As an absolute KHF beginner I would like some advice about how to control how low or deep I keep the sword in the water when riding along !

I Foil in the Baltic and are blessed with wawes or chop, soo I have to compensate all the time.

Jesper, Nysted, Denmark

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Re: Controlling sword hight when riding.

Postby FrederikS » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:41 am

Keep the weight in the same place and get a feeling for how much weight goes on what leg. Controlling ride height is about controlling stance and speed primarily, kite position also changes stuff but I find that less of an effect.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:59 am

Straighten your back leg to bring the nose down.

Nielshm
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nielshm » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:43 pm

It is my experience that you should do the exact opposite that on the TT. You control the pitch of the board by moving your body or legs in a controlled way. On the TT the waves would move you and you would adapt to this.
Try and take more rigid position where your joints (knees, hips etc) would make small controlled movements to keep the pitch. All movements with resistance. Dont stand up tall, you loose the flexibility. I found the position similar to halfway sitting on a toilet being just right.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:41 pm

I find simply pulling in on the bar ( with the kite fairly high) raises the flying height and sheeting out lowers it by weighting and un-weighting the foil, this gives a smooth and controlled height adjustment, in big waves/swell you definitely need to change foot pressure to change height quickly.
Just my observation.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Denisesewa wrote:I find simply pulling in on the bar ( with the kite fairly high) raises the flying height and sheeting out lowers it by weighting and un-weighting the foil, this gives a smooth and controlled height adjustment, in big waves/swell you definitely need to change foot pressure to change height quickly.
Just my observation.
I have heard others, when "just about to ride for a bit longer for the first time", they had the very same experience as you Denise :naughty:

When you get experienced, this effect seems to dissapear, as you dont need/use it - but yes, when in the initial phase of "flying" - this seems to be a relatively intuitive way of controlling height :D

8) PF

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:45 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Denisesewa wrote:I find simply pulling in on the bar ( with the kite fairly high) raises the flying height and sheeting out lowers it by weighting and un-weighting the foil, this gives a smooth and controlled height adjustment, in big waves/swell you definitely need to change foot pressure to change height quickly.
Just my observation.
I have heard others, when "just about to ride for a bit longer for the first time", they had the very same experience as you Denise :naughty:

When you get experienced, this effect seems to dissapear, as you dont need/use it - but yes, when in the initial phase of "flying" - this seems to be a relatively intuitive way of controlling height :D

8) PF
I guess I am still a relative newbie too, because I agree with what Denise said. When up on the foil, you can raise or lower height by sheeting the bar in or out without doing anything with your legs or posture. For example, if you're on the foil but losing height, a micro adjustment to more power in the bar will stabillize you. And vice versa.

Though of course changes to foot weighting affect this too. I find it feels great to do little up and down pumps while flying along in chop, just like you would on a surfboard, skateboard, or snowboard. This is all weighting.

And Nielshm: have to disagree there, toilet stance may be useful if overpowered or something else wrong, but otherwise, don't do it! Straighten your back and stand tall! Not only is it better style, it is also better function imho. :thumb:

[and if you haven't seen it yet, this is one of the best examples of foil style I've seen yet...smooth surfing flow to it ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VElcu_AKnI ]

Wielandt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Holten
Farø
Style: HF,
Gear: Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Airush Ultra, Storm Voyager, Gong strutless
LFSolo
Moses HF.

Postby Wielandt » Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:47 am

Thanks for all the good pieces of advice. Looking foreward to try them out. Just swiched my Sroka board to a Spotz, soo things are going fast now......also reaction time between riding perfect along and total wipe out !!!

And Juan de Sooka. Yes I have seen the video. It's pure art "waterballet"

Return to “Hydrofoil”