Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Stringy's version of a sit-down foil.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Stringy's version of a sit-down foil.

Postby ronnie » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:31 am

A short video of Jim Stringfellow on a sit-down foil. Sit-down kiting with a surface planing kiteboard has the problem that with wind comes a choppy surface which can be very hard on the body/spine. Sit-down kite foiling opens up a new opportunity.

https://instagram.com/stringy/

herbert
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Stringy's version of a sit-down foil.

Postby herbert » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:06 am

I am learning to foil on a Stringy foil. Pure fun. This guy is just so cool in so many ways. You know, I gave up jogging because I found the ice bounces out of my glass. I do believe there is some potential to enjoy a beer, or maybe even a margarita on the rocks while riding the seated foil.

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Space Pickle
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:49 pm

Rad topic, but hey this guy Stringfellow is setting a very irresponsible standard by sit-down foiling sans helmet. Come on! He's practically inventing the newest sport to sweep the millennial generation so, like, let's be cool about it OMG. Do you know what's cool? SAFETY is cool. Wear a helmet:
beer helmet.jpg
beer helmet.jpg (14.03 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

stringy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: seattle, wa
Style: freeriding

Postby stringy » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:39 pm

thanks guys!
I unfortunately had a mishap with my foot about a month ago. was just doing a foot shuffle after a surface gybe and missed the footstrap. terrible injury breaking my fifth metatarsal and possible surgery to repair the displaced bone! all because I missed the foot strap!
anyhow time off the water was killing me so I looked at the airchair and thought well that might at least allow me to get back on the water so I decided to make a sit down chair to use on an exisiting foil setup.
since my foil is designed with a baseplate, that means holes go through the board by way of fasteners, I just made a chair using the same baseplate so the hole pattern was the same. I just used longer bolts now to assemble the mast to the board and eventually to the chair base.
I looked at the air chair foot strap and was concerned with pressure along the outer side of my foot, so I develop a foot hook. I acquired a couple of foot hooks from NSI and mounted them opposed so I could capture my feet on the inboard side. I found after riding this setup, I didn't rreally need the foot hook anymore so it has evolved to a much simpler design. I ride this board strapless its fun and easy to water start. I can see others with old sore knees exploring this kind of kiting as it doesn't give your knees a workout anymore. once you're up riding, you use your upper body for balance and your knees/body to turn.
here's a video to demonstrate how it's been working.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Love it. Hope that toe heels up quick. In the mean time, can you Please do an edit wearing a beer helmet. Either that or install a gimballed drink holder on that thing. Too bad toilets are so heavy, now that would be class!

bgpeters
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: White Bear Lake, Waconia, Mille Lacs - Minnesota

Postby bgpeters » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:11 pm

For the seat, how about a pillar of foam or an inflatable thing? On a good fall, that one could nail you pretty hard. Lighter weight might be nice too.

Cool idea!!!! Way to go Stringy!

Return to “Hydrofoil”