Jump proof hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Jump proof hydrofoil

Postby Turbaani » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:46 pm

I'm looking to buy a hydrofoil board. I've seen people also doing sick jumps with hydrofoils. I might eventually want to do some jumps on it also so it would be really nice if it was strong enough to take the landing hits.

I think some brand mentioned that their foil should be only used strapless. I'd prefer one that can handle strapped jumps.

If people have experience which foils they broke or weren't able to break I would certainly love to hear it.

Isn't LF foil made from aluminum? Much different from carbon fiber? Price point on it is tempting since I don't want to spen all my money on a new board.

Mainly this topic is to talk about strenght of foils, but all tips of which brand to go for buying a freeride HF is appreciated. I have never been race rider so I think this is what I should be looking for.

lupociotto
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cattle creek
neusiedl am see
dickaubucht
lipno
Favorite Beaches: cattle creek
thick floodplain bay
playa di famara
tramatza
spiagga lunga
gwithian
marizon
Style: foil + wave old man style
Gear: levitaz element + aspect + cruizer
DIY foil
naish skater + naish fish - some DIY directionals
flysurfer boost 15 - 11
RRD religion 9 + 7
north neo 5
Brand Affiliation: not professional
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Jump proof hydrofoil

Postby lupociotto » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:20 pm

i can tell you so far what I have seen:

The "Levitaz" construction is pretty much bomb proof.

We have seen jumps to up extreme heigths (10 m at less than 12 knots, no joke) by
teamriders on our spots - and as far as I know there was not a simple damage that had occured
(without contact to solid ground...).

Ok the Aspect 3.0 is not really an intermediate foil, but I learnt on it pretty fast
and I don't know why I should take something less efficient.

Ok pricing might be a factor - but don't forget about the resale value that might
be a problem with aluminium constructions.

Regards Wolfgang (Austria)

slingshotucf
Frequent Poster
Style: foil
Gear: LF kites and foils, jim stringfeller foil
Brand Affiliation: LF

Postby slingshotucf » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:24 pm

If you're looking for a foil that you can beat the crap out of and not worry about it then the LF foil is perfect for that. I crash mine into sand bars all the time while riding waves and it gets tumbled on the beach with the shore break. Also with the wings not being Carbon, when you hit stuff, they don't chip or crack. Also jumps have been no issue or worry for me even when I come down on the tail. I think any mask and fuselage made from aluminum will work great for you but LF comes in a great user friendly package.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:42 pm

Thanks for tips.

Yeah who doesn't want max performance.. what if you hit carbon fiber foil to sand bottom while riding?

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Turbaani wrote:Thanks for tips.

Yeah who doesn't want max performance.. what if you hit carbon fiber foil to sand bottom while riding?
I saw someone local hit a concrete storm drain at about 25 knots on a Sword. I was sure he destroyed EVERYTHING.

only a chip out of the wing. I was amazed...

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:33 pm

if you go the carbon route get one that the wing slides into the fuselage such as the levitaz or the aguera

other wise LF or zeeko aluminum should be good...i have ran into the beach a bunch on my LF and its still good, jump it from time to time, but thats in low wind...what sucks it fills with water and feels heavy so its not the best to jump

brunoperez
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami Beach
Favorite Beaches: Miami Beach, Crandon, Matheson, Cabarete, Cape Hatteras, Long Island New York, Puerto Rico ,
Style: Hydrofoil, riding, jumping
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby brunoperez » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:10 pm

I broke 2 MHL lift while jumping. The liquid force can take a beating but i broke the back wing once and bent the fuselage another time. Each eventually sent replacements parts. Now on my Sword2 i have done hundreds of jumps and it looks indestructible. Hydrofoil jumping is so much fun :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:01 pm

I think, that it will often be random which hydrofoils will break :roll:

Meaning, I think you could break any foil if you land "wrong" with full load on one side of the wing only :x

Also, differences in the individual layups will influence, even on the very same model (I think all are handcrafted to some extent)

What I am saying is, that you can hardly take "he/she broke this and that, but not that and this foil" for much....

Apart from that:

A small fast wing will both jump higher and be stronger (well, it is the connections or fuselage that will break most likely).
The lower aspect and the more narrow tips, will be the strongest - and the smaller the stronger.

This goes just opposite and against beginner foils and performance/upwind foils, but are perfect speed and jump foils.

Just my 2 cents on this....

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”