Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35
Brand Affiliation: None

Hydrofoil quiver?

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:17 am

I was wondering if anyone has different hydrofoils for different conditions? A race foil for flat water and a lower aspect foil for waves maybe.

I've got a spotz2 which I'm really liking for going fast. I've tried riding waves with it though and it seems too fast, can't slow down enough to ride the wave really (or I just don't know what I'm doing).

Are any of the aluminum foils worth a try if you're already on a carbon foil?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Re: Hydrofoil quiver?

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:24 am

I have bought 6 commercial foils and made a dozen wings. A lower aspect wing will turn much faster in waves.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:51 am

Do you ride different ones based on the conditions or mostly ride just one all the time?

Hawaiis
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kailua

Postby Hawaiis » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:03 am

I have mixed all conditions with different kites and different foils.

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:26 am

I have all the Ketos wings. If you want max upwind and downwind then I use the race wing. To get the most out of this you want a race kite it just feels weird with a low aspect kite. On the other hand with the wave wing a race kite feels weird so I use my Neos.
The wave wing is amazing for carving turns, 360s and general fun staying on the foil all the time. You still go around 20 knts but nothing like the speeds of the race wing but it is so much easier to stay on the foil during tacks and gybes so great for learning as gives you a few extra seconds before stalling.
If you want to go super fast on a reach the speed wing is c4azy but no good in the turns. On this wing my rebel works the best.

Each type of wing has its best areas and you should choose the right wing for your style. I love all of them but mostly ride the race wing strapped on race board when it's flat on a foil kite and strapless on the wave wing when there's big rolling swell using my neos.
Check them out at www.ketos-foil.com

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby IanNJ » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:25 pm

I use the standard MHL wings and primarliy ride in the ocean with small waves. I think its fine for waves. Definitaly different then a surf board!!

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zeeko » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:11 pm

I ride with 3 different wings: race, freeride or waves/speed and enjoy both in different wind and water conditions

The racing one is good when I ride foil kites (more upwind ability), the freeride one for most of the days, and speed/Jump/wave one when I want a lot of sensations.

It is very good to have different wings and it change a lot the behavior of the hydrofoil.

About alloy foils compare to carbone ones, it depends about which carbon and which alloy foil you take in account,.

ride easy
NIcolas

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:50 pm

This makes total sense.
Years ago when I windsurfed I had a quiver of fins for my windsurfer. Small ones for higher speeds and deeper shapes for wave riding.

Right now I only have one fast hydrofoil front wing.. maybe that's why I have trouble waveriding and doing transitions. :lol:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:17 pm

Can not compete with leepasy who apparently got all 5 Ketos wings :wink:

I got two masts, one short 80cm for marginal onshore winds, and one 100cm for overall and waves.

Two boards, one big for ultra marginal conditions, and one light Takoon smooth round one for "everything".

4 Ketos wings - LOVIN' each of them and uses all of them :thumb:

Cruiser - Freeride - Wave - Race :rollgrin:

Very very different wings:

My marginal board is the North LTD 2010 with a KFBox mounted (thats one of the things I like about the Ketos, 5 brands are using this box now)

Out in just over 4 knots and an 11m2 ELF kite on the big wing and 80cm mast (proto) here

The medium wing, is the most versatile allround wing.
It goes at an upwind angle no other seems to match - and starts pretty early, so my "go to" wing.
Out here at my home spot with a 9m2 in 9-10 knots.

The wave wing, used as soon as okay powered, meaning with smaller kites than 9m2 most often, or if okay power for the 9 or some small waves - here going out in some bigger waves, a couple of meters

And having a blast down the faces (and some REALLY hard crashes too, as I quickly became overpowered with the 5m2 because of the speed down the faces)

Cutback before it breaks - a totally new adventure because it is sooooo dificult but can be learned :naughty:

The Race wing - here out with an 11m2 wavekite in 9-10 knots at my homespot - BLASTING along in the summer weather on the most efficient and fast foil is awesome - showing the 49ers how to go fast, showing the keelboats how to go upwind angles and speed - simply great too !!!

So covering a lot of different conditions this way, OR, just to suit what you like on a given day :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

8) PF

leepasty
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: porthleven, west cornwall, uk
Favorite Beaches: gnaraloo,curral jouel, One Eye, Haakgat,
porthleven, Gwithian
Style: Waves
Gear: Duotone Pro Wam, Pro Session and Neos
Brand Affiliation: sponsored by Duotone & Ion

Postby leepasty » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:59 pm

Nice one Peter, glad someone else has found how good the Ketos wings are. The Big wing is so easy for learning, my students are all up and riding within 3 hours. I just have a lot more fun on the other wings myself :D

Return to “Hydrofoil”