How big is Kite Hydrofoiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: How big is Kite Hydrofoiling?

Postby PullStrings » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:39 pm

Not big at all only one guy out. Lately because of small sharks sightings in the shorebreak he does not go out. The water goes to chest deep very gradually so to go out it takes him about 30 seconds in and out. He feels like a fish troll. When he rides he mostly stays out on the outside going back and forth.All of us spraying in the waves on surfboards are having so much more fun in my opinion. We can see the look on his face. He is starting to get bored on his foilboard. The guy is an excellent rider on surfboard and kills it in the waves so we think he will foilboard less and less. As they say "been there done that". One day there will be zero hydrofoilers out at our beach. It will not catch on. Fad over.Next.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:12 am

PullStrings wrote: It will not catch on. Fad over.Next.
Haha, Said only someone who has never done it.

1999 is calling, the windsurfers want their line back!

May never get real big, but the genie is out of the bottle in too many spots, and once you get a good taste, its not the kinda thing you can really come back from. The racers certainly won't!

Your local guy may well join you on a surfboard the days you can ride, but don't kid yourself, those are a fraction of the days he can ride.

You might like it, it can definitely be surfy. There is no breaking out the tail but it's a fair trade for a third dimension, immunity to chop and being powered up in under 10 knots.

As long as I have a kite, I will have a surfboard and a foil.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)
Been thanked: 0

Postby mig27 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:10 pm

It is the first true fun light-wind solution in my opinion!
That alone is a big selling point, and a paradox in itself: It is so great to have the overcrowded spots for yourself...untill everybody rides a foil!

Pricewise, but let's not forget also skill wise a lot still has to be developed
At this moment hydrofoiling IMHO is for the average Joe kiteboarder a bridge too far!

For me the best thing since I started kiteboarding 15 years ago :wink:

Johhnn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Pine Point
Favorite Beaches: P-town Harbor, Manzanillo del Mar
Style: Freeride
Gear: FS: S4 8 & 10 m DLX, S4 Lotus 10 & 12 m, Sonic 2 15 m, Ozone R1V2 11 m
Core: XR3 6 and 12 m, XR5 9 m
FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings

Postby Johhnn » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:55 pm

Same as above. The best thing to happen since I started kitesurfing 13 years ago.

Last night I was out until after sunset in about 10-12 knots on a 12 meter foil kite racing around and ripping it up. It was just incredible! Nobody else bothered even to show up at the beach. There had been no wind in the forecast and I drove to the beach just hoping my hunch that we would get some thermal wind would be correct. I was out on the water from 1:30 until 5 p.m. Spent the first hour or so on my 10 meter foil, then sized up to the 12. Covered 30 miles, first mostly cruising and working my way upwind, then practicing maneuvers. You don't see any whitecaps and yet I was fully powered up most of the time.
Attachments
Maneuvers.jpg
Cruising.jpg
Cruising.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Yesterday 03.jpg
Yesterday 02.jpg
Yesterday.jpg
Yesterday.jpg (31.94 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:45 pm

PullStrings wrote:Not big at all only one guy out. Lately because of small sharks sightings in the shorebreak he does not go out.
If that's his reason for not going out, he's not a good indicator of the success of the "fad." Every single one of us in saltwater is surrounded by sharks and fish every time we ride, whether we see them or not. Fact is, most of them DGAF about us and want nothing to do with any kind of person.

I doubt any serious course racing will persist in the coming years without foils being a part of the discussion; kites or boats. Hardly "over" in that sense, but it may never become a mainstream discipline. I'm fine with that.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:30 pm

crazysurf wrote: ...

Thank you to everyone for their comments. To me it is really interesting thread. However, it looks a difficult business from a volume perspective at the moment!

In answer to Bille:

- Located on the Isle of Wight (UK) and there are only 3 foilers here!
- Started sailing when 8 but took a long break from 20 to 40.
- Cat's and Monohull (one national championship in each)
- Kiting - currently learning foiling. Otherwise old school big air on twin tips.
Dang Dude --- there are a LOT of very Fine sailors , in the UK ; and you
kicked All there Asses , with both Cats and Monohulls ! That's Impressive !!!! :thumb:

Your the Real-Deal !!! :o

Bille

crazysurf
Rare Poster
Gear: Zephyr and 7 & 10 Evos. Homemade TTs

Postby crazysurf » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Bille - Good idea to choose the easy classes but thank you!

Johhnn - Exactly. I have only been foiling 5 or 6 times but am addicted, 10 knts is currently my ideal (something I look forward to rather than 30 on a TT). It is just awesome and I can be completely powered on a 12 (have bought a LF Solo) - in fact, it feels like the kite can't keep up so ends up over powering me unless I head heavily downwind! What an amazing sport.

One last thing - the load is so low - even an old one like me can do it. I felt the same when I went from Windsurfing (in the Gym 6 times a week aged 20 in case it was wavey and windy) to kitesurfing (never unhooked except from those early 2 line 14m kite days!!!).

How things change! Sport progression for me has been Windsurfing, Kifesurfing (300% better), Foilboarding (1000% better in light winds - who knows where I will end up but I do like to boost and I know that is a foil forte but not one I am familiar with at the moment - also trying to avoid dislocated ankles!)

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:46 am

crazysurf wrote:Bille - Good idea to choose the easy classes but thank you!
There is Nothing , "Easy" about becoming a national champion ; in Two
different disciplines !!!

On the Foil question ; i think this foiling thing, is going to grow , and there should be a place
in the market, for a guy with your background and education. Just turn it Up, with everything
you got !! :thumb:

Bille

ROLAVI
Medium Poster

Postby ROLAVI » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:06 am

I find I get a lot of negative reaction on foiling from other kiters not doing it yet. It is like they are pissed at my foil face which is comprised of a big grin. :D

It normally comes from a twin tipper on a 14m struggling to kite in light winds or the same guy mowing the lawn on a 14m in more moderate winds when I am on a 10m or 8m with foil buzzing around with a big smile.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:34 pm

ROLAVI wrote:I find I get a lot of negative reaction on foiling from other kiters not doing it yet. It is like they are pissed at my foil face which is comprised of a big grin. :D

It normally comes from a twin tipper on a 14m struggling to kite in light winds or the same guy mowing the lawn on a 14m in more moderate winds when I am on a 10m or 8m with foil buzzing around with a big smile.
I love their faces when they are struggling on a fly-door with a 17m kite, hardly getting upwind, while I pass them with over 40 degrees angle towards the wind with a kite, which is halve the size :lol:

I never had a negative reaction from a fellow kiter yet.
Only skepticism because they think riding up and down is no fun (because they compare it with a TT), especially on such a costly board!

Return to “Hydrofoil”