Harri
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Austria and Italy
Gear: ...
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Wings for LF Foil

Postby Harri » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:24 pm

LF offers new wings in january. But has anyone tried wings from other suppliers as for example those: http://www.thekitefoil.com/#!online-sto ... ort=normal

Or any others that make wings for LF?

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used
Has thanked: 0

Re: Wings for LF Foil

Postby Jollydriver » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:25 pm

Hi

I think to really get the best out of the new medium or high aspect wings from LF, you will need to pair them with one of the new masts on either the Rocket Fish or the Happy Foil.

The dropping the width of the mast profile from 20mm to 13.5mm from the original to the two newer stablemates is pretty significant.

Best

JD

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Jollydriver wrote:Hi

I think to really get the best out of the new medium or high aspect wings from LF, you will need to pair them with one of the new masts on either the Rocket Fish or the Happy Foil.

The dropping the width of the mast profile from 20mm to 13.5mm from the original to the two newer stablemates is pretty significant.

Best

JD
:thumb: The original LF funny foil is just too thick and creates too much drag. Putting a faster wing on it would just emphasize the problem.

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF

Postby alsbirk » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:19 am

wings.JPG
wings.JPG (80.51 KiB) Viewed 1423 times
I really don´t think you guys are right that there is no point in upgrading the foil fish from LF!

Since march I have been riding mostly on this higher performing wing on my LF fun foil and to me it is the perfect match between performance, rigidity and FUN factor.

While the "old" big wing on the LF fun foil has crusing speeds between 20 and 30 km/h and an absolute maximum around 35 km/h (beyond this speed the pitch becomes impossible to control due to wing size, as the difference between zero lift and enough lift to kick you towards the moon maybe is less than 1 degree in AOA). It is not the amount of drag in the main wing that makes it impossible to control at high speeds, it is the amount of lift it creates! But this is also why this wing is awesome to learn on since it can go really slow and is really forgiving!

This new wing has with the same mast and fuselage typical cruising speeds from 30 - 40 km/h with the same comfort as the other wing has between 20 and 30 - even though I can of course go way slower than 30 If I want to

My top speed is now around 45 km/h and I still have a super rigid and strong foil that I can jump around on and have a lot of fun on.

I think the most underrated thing about the foil fish is how rigid and stiff the mast is, I really love this direct feeling compared to many of the carbon foils I have tried where the mast is so thin that it compromises the roll and yaw stiffness making it hard to control and give direct imput to to maneouvers. Although the most high end carbon foils out there don´t have this issue as far as I know (hand layup vs pre-preg)

Go ahead and get a faster wing and you will feel like you are on a new foil. Put the old wing on when you need to learn a new foiling maneover...foiling 360, foil tacks, foiling rolls etc is a blast on this thing!

still loving the LF fun foil...and it only becomes more fun with the fast wing once you have learned on the fatty one and have both options.

Thomas Alsbirk

disclaimer : associated with LF R&D for the last 10 years...
foil_2.JPG
foil_2.JPG (74.51 KiB) Viewed 1421 times

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 pm

Where did you see LF offering new wings in January? I thought they were only going to offer the new carbon wings/fuselage upgrade?

Would love to try some different wings for it, if the price was right. I don't really want to upgrade the whole foil as I didn't quite get into the foiling stoke. Gliding over the water for that "fresh powder" feel isn't for me. I just use it on super light wind days.

bay surfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Dam Beach
Favorite Beaches: Lake Michigan Beaches, OBX
Gear: Airush, Switch, Pansh, Kites, LF boards, Home Brewed Foils and boards

Postby bay surfer » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:21 pm

Wings to be had, for liquidforce have been out for a while, but not from LF.

http://www.thekitefoil.com/#!online-sto ... ort=normal

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:43 pm

bay surfer wrote:Wings to be had, for liquidforce have been out for a while, but not from LF.

http://www.thekitefoil.com/#!online-sto ... ort=normal

Thanks, I've seen those. But at that price they're almost as much as I paid for my whole foil setup. I got lucky. If I spend that much I might as well get a whole new foil.

Jollydriver
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mid-Atlantic
OBX
Favorite Beaches: OBX
Dewey Beach
Style: Freeride & Progressing
Gear: Cheap, On Sale, or Used

Postby Jollydriver » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:21 pm

[/quote]Thanks, I've seen those. But at that price they're almost as much as I paid for my whole foil setup. I got lucky. If I spend that much I might as well get a whole new foil.[/quote]

I doubt new wings from LF will be any cheaper unless you can get them at cost or through a 'Bro' deal.

Retail replacement wings for LF range from $199 for the rear wing to $499 for the front & rear wing set here:

http://www.realwatersports.com/kiteboar ... foilboards

Best

JD

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:29 pm

alsbirk wrote: I really don´t think you guys are right that there is no point in upgrading the foil fish from LF!
I think the most underrated thing about the foil fish is how rigid and stiff the mast is,
[/attachment]
Strange, hypocritical. your first quoted statement when you have upgraded both of your wings as shown in the photos,
notably adding the vertical tail element!
FUNNYFOIL.JPG
FUNNYFOIL.JPG (74.51 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
lower, left, TT style fin mounted on top of the fuse in front of the R wing
Did you need more yaw stability as is well known with flat R wing set ups?
And both the Zeeko and Manta STRUTS are SO much better, thinner, stronger, MUCH better profile than the funny foils!
Disclaimer, not associated with any manufacturer but know most French, with pleasure!
I design and make ALL my KBHFs.
R H

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:53 am

LF foil is stiff because it is so thick. Other alu foil manufacturers, Zeeko/Alpin/Tkitefoil etc are so much thinner have a better profile and are just as stiff.

I suppose LF have realized that and are correcting this with their newer foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”