A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: WindFoil - KiteFoil

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 pm

Eltreato wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 am
I tried it on may Android and it works. Very cool looking concept. I was wondering when someone would get around to a inflatable SUP hydrofoil and the mast track is icing on the cake. Thankfully it doesn't support a plate foil or else my credit card would be in trouble. What is the volume of this board?
170 liter it says on the website :naughty:

lezo
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 80kgs
Local Beach: I have local friends at many beaches now!
Favorite Beaches: Mostly riding these days North Fuerte beaches or wavespots of the French Atlantic/North coast.
Gear: Custom wavesurf board with RRD Religions, custom foilkite with Peak5s, Ozone Edges for boosting.

Postby lezo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:05 pm

Have not tried the windfoil yet, but I think that there is a serious problem that will limit it's use in light conditions: you can not obtain the same power stroke by pumping a windsurf sail than by working a kite, which will limit both the waterstart and early foiling.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:12 pm

lezo wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:05 pm
Have not tried the windfoil yet, but I think that there is a serious problem that will limit it's use in light conditions: you can not obtain the same power stroke by pumping a windsurf sail than by working a kite, which will limit both the waterstart and early foiling.

True, the foling low end will not come as low as for kitefoiling - as with a kite that has upward lift, AND more powerspike (if a foil kite particularly), besides more wind up higher :wink:

But the non foiling low end is lower for the windfoil, no doubt, as you dont need to waterstart but can always use the uphaul, so possible to get ashore even in 1-2 knots of wind, and avoid a swim :rollgrin:

THAT is a good thing for long distance runs IMO, and why I find it awesome :naughty:
And maybe the FUN low end, eventhough a bit higher for the windfoil than the kitefoil, is WAY better than for a windsurfer - smaller sails less bounce and feels good :D

8) PF

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 pm
Eltreato wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:17 am
I tried it on may Android and it works. Very cool looking concept. I was wondering when someone would get around to a inflatable SUP hydrofoil and the mast track is icing on the cake. Thankfully it doesn't support a plate foil or else my credit card would be in trouble. What is the volume of this board?
170 liter it says on the website :naughty:
That sounds reasonable thanks!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:35 am

Finally, have been thinking about this for so long, and found a good board around 120 liters and wide, put the Ketos carbon KFBox into it.

Using a Kitefoil for windfoiling MUST be better, as it is balanced and you dont get these crazy forces on the Tuttle box like when you have a forward swept mast and wings to get the trim right, like on "classic" windfoils that fit in existing boards, so tried it now.

Used the bigger Ketos wing around 800 cm2, and a couple of days ago out for the very first time doing small flights in this half hour before sunset (actually only on the board 5 mins).

The next day, I could fly for short "almost controllable" distances ha haa - great.

You can not use much from kitefoiling, as it is like there is a 4th maybe even 5th dimension, as you are not centered over the mast/strut like you are used to - so it takes some time to get your muscle memory set, but it seems the learning curve is even faster than everything else.
Could also be because I havent windsurfed since 15 years :roll: But my sails and everything worked right out of the attic.

Having kitefoiled, pitch is easy and also very stable because of the mastfoot that stabilises.

I got some crazy wipeouts where foil tilts leeways and I get forward/leeward catapulted ha haa, just a part of learning apparently :rollgrin:

Looks like this, and great to be able to just move your normal kitefoil over to the "windfoil" :thumb:

In the harness it stabilises even more, although I concentrate like a maniac

The sun has set, but an amazing experience, and tough like nothing else for your body.

It seems the windfoils are made stronger than our kitefoils, so would still make sense, but loved "doing" it like above :rollgrin:

8) PF

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:33 am

A great read

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:58 pm

Zeeko owner Nicolas, returned to windsurfing after 17 years without, to create the Zeeko windfoil.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:37 pm

Did you try jibing on foil?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:10 pm

Robby Naish explaining the Naish approach to windfoiling.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Great :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”