Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: WindFoil - KiteFoil

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:37 am

Peter_Frank wrote: For long distance trips, I see a windfoil much better than a kitefoil, because you dont have the issue that you go down if the wind stops.
You could in reality stop and eat your lunch, while waiting for a few knots of wind - which will be sufficient for slowly getting ashore.
Much safer than a hydrofoil, where we have to swim with the kite rolled or packed down, on a small board - and no chance of a relaunch once packed down.
That's what makes it interesting to me.
It's also possible to arm/disarm a softkite while sitting on a foilboard and also to do this several times during a session if the wind drops or if there is no spot available to arm, as in some of our lakes. But this is not why I want to go out and this mode is also consuming kite cloth way more than on a normal session without water contact.
On a windfoil it doesn't matter if the wind is dropping several times under 3 knt.

And as you said for long distance trips, till now I try not to go much further than 500 m offshore which is still a "comfortable" distance to swim with a well packed softkite on the board. But for some nicer travaerses also 2 km and more without wind (or with technical difficulties) have to be in the risk calculation and this is just comfortable and safe with a windfoil and maybe an additional rescue paddle.

@Starsky
And yes, it is very said to read the nonsense windsurfers are writing about windfoils, also in our regional forum. As I said, France seems to be much more open minded and far ahead. But in the last session I regained the ability to do wide foiling 360s also with my new foil. So maybe I will try to inspire some drifting windsurfers with some surroundings in the next time, to open their eyes :o and mind. :D Allready had several fast overtakeings of windsurfers, cramped into their 10m²-Formular-"Sailboots", while sitting relaxed on my foil. I hope this allready helped to launch some thinking processes, if not yet, I will take my lunch with me for the next sessions :wink:

chrisrad99
Rare Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby chrisrad99 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:45 am

There are almost 20 foiling windsurfers on the SF Bay with several guys competing in the CalCup and long distance races. A foiling windurfer nearly beat all the windsurfers, except the wind died completely near the finish in the Ronstan B2B. They slog even slower than a normal board. The upwind and downwind performance is comparable with formula race boards, except the sails are about 50% smaller. They coast better through lulls and work super well in pretty strong wind. Check out Steve going upwind!!

https://www.facebook.com/F4Fins/posts/489472271226991

--cr

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:29 am

Horst Sergio wrote:Nice picture :thumb: ..

and I don't think it's off topic. I was close to open a similar thread. For sure many kite-foilers are kiters from first hours with a windsurfing history too and therefore interested in windfoils, especially, if there is chance for dual-use.
As I have seen French community is, once again, far ahead.
My questions to all manufacturers and users are:

1. What are the main design differences between wind and kite foils?
Apart from, as I understand it till now:
a) bigger and more lifting front wings without anhedral
b) stronger fuselage (frontwing to mast conections)
c) shorter masts

2. Are there more kitefoils that are reasonable useful as windfoil apart from those sold for both like the horue windfoil?
For example the Zeeko Alloy with the high lifting carbon-freeride-wing or the Levitaz with its strong fuselage. And does a plate-connection influence the take-off significantly?

3. As I imaging: reaching deep water with a windfoil under some onshore conditions could be pretty impossible/difficult: Has anybody ever thought about a windfoil construction with a double folding board to mast (similar to daggerboard) and mast to fuselage conection, which allows starting like a normal Board and (dis-)assembling by two strings and a threaded bar (through the alloy mast) that tensions the system when running?

Phil, Nicolas, Adrian ... any thoughts,

thanks Bernd

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:56 pm

Kitefoil or windfoil?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:49 pm

EXCELLENT :thumb:
At least in a prior post using a sail board with a hydrofoil was called foil windsurfing, so much more descriptive than wind foil.
As for the above direct hands on controlled wing using a sail board with no mast or sail, and a hydrofoil, what to call this? :?:
What does the designer of the "wing" call it?
Definitely can not be called anything kite related as no lines!
Sure looks like a killer core workout! :o
R H

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:39 pm

WingFoil :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:06 am

DANG - today the count of windfoilers came up to 4 here, in one single day - awesome to see :thumb:

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Sun Dec 20, 2015 2:21 pm

How fast are the windsurf foils upwind and downwind?

I've heard its much easier to learn to windsurf foil than kitefoil, is that true?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 20, 2015 4:43 pm

davesails7 wrote:How fast are the windsurf foils upwind and downwind?

I've heard its much easier to learn to windsurf foil than kitefoil, is that true?
Apparently way easier indeed Dave, as I can see on those doing it for the very first time with the Horue foils, and succeeding quite well even when they are max "joe average".

Upwind/downwind no idea, sitll on their first-second-third day so I think it will take a while till speed is possible (because of the rider that is, lack of control as we know from kitefoil, it has to be into muscle memory), and will most likely require the smaller faster wings just like when kitefoiling :naughty:

8) Peter
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:26 pm

First attempt of a windsurfer to foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”