Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which foil kite size to add to my LEI kite quiver to foil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which foil kite size to add to my LEI kite quiver to foil?

Postby Bletti » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:16 am

I just picked up a used Spotz 2 foil and I am just learning how to foil. I have 5m Element4, 7m Nitro4, 9m Element4, 10m Nitro4, and 18m Helium LEI kites from Switch. I was considering getting a 12m or 15m Pansh A15 foil kite to give me a bit better low end than my 10m without going to my massive 18m which I hear is too big to affectively foil on. Should I go with the 12m (or 15m) Pansh A15 or do you think that it's a bad kite for hydrofoiling? Also would you go with 22m or 25m lines? They have a sale till New Years so I could get a foil and bar and lines for 500 USD.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Which foil kite size to add to my LEI kite quiver to foi

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:54 am

Impossible to answer, not knowing your weight, and are you aiming at racing ?
I would say, if lighter than 80-85kg, go with the 15m2 max, if around that or heavier, the 18m2, if you want to go fast :thumb:

Regarding line lengths, forget about 22m and go for 25 or longer :wink:

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:44 am

I wouldn't buy a new kite until your foil skills are up to par, then decide whats missing based on where your existing quiver misses the mark.

My biggest kite is an elf 15m and i cant imagine needing more except for a race where every bit counts downwind.

A lot of racers are going to lines under 20m on foil kites, as a side note. I would still have some long lines around for LEIs or a set of extensions.

PF is right though, strangers on the Internet can't really answer this quesrion, especially not before you learn how to foil and know what direction you want to take your riding.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:10 am

Thanks Peter and Mossy. I'm 80kg and can normally hold down more kite than most on twintip or surfboard. I'd like to get into racing. I agree it would be better to wait till I'm proficient but a 50% sale is tempting...

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:37 pm

If it's your first foil, I'd buy a used Chrono or sonic fr.

I know someone on here loved their A15 but without prior foil experience I'd be leary.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:50 pm

I have some Edge LEI kites and two Chrono foil kites. I find that a foil kite has roughly the same wind range as the same size LEI kite.. but of course in very light wind a foil kite stays in the air better.

:wink: CG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Dec 25, 2015 6:35 pm

Bletti wrote:Thanks Peter and Mossy. I'm 80kg and can normally hold down more kite than most on twintip or surfboard. I'd like to get into racing. I agree it would be better to wait till I'm proficient but a 50% sale is tempting...
Agree with Mossy, that if you race, you choose a big kite (often with a smaller thus faster wing), and longer lines are mostly added drag then with foilkites :roll:
Whereas for freeride and freestyle, longer lines is a must IMO, at least 25m and more when marginal or changing winds, no matter what type of kite.

If you wanted the foilkite for ultra marginal winds, it would be very different, and you would need longer lines - but for racing it is almost the opposite, as you will ride as powered as you can without losing control.

If there is a good sale, I would go for the 15m2 knowing you aim for racing (otherwise I would recommend a 12m2 as max size if freestyle/freeride @ 80kg).

No racers own an 18m2 and NOT a 15m2 too (and an 11 or 12).

And eventhough a bit harder to handle the 15, you should be able to get the hang of it - whereas the 18 will have much more limited use untill much more experienced IMO :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”