Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Foil/Board Combination for airtravel?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pingo
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best Foil/Board Combination for airtravel?

Postby pingo » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:21 am

I'm only kiteboarding after air travel, that means I'm looking for a foil and foilboard with which air travel is easy.

I'm a foilkiting beginner but very good kiteboarder.

That means: The board should be not to long/wide (everthing longer then 140cm makes air travel more difficult!) and not too heavy.
The foil should be lite and I have to disassemble the foil in all parts.

The boardbag should be not much bigger then the board, but there should be room for the foil and 2 kites.

Thanks

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Best Foil/Board Combination for airtravel?

Postby ronnie » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:19 pm

This is more of an example of what is possible, than an answer.
This combination looks like the wings are very flat, the board is just slightly longer than the mast. The mast seems to fit into a socket base, and the whole thing looks dimantleable.

He is carrying the board and 3.5m kite (in the small black bag) at the start of the video.

Ketos make a small board and their parts dismantle.
http://www.ketos-foil.com/en/14-kitefoil

Icharus
Medium Poster
Gear: foil

Postby Icharus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Very interested in a setup like the F one convertible - except not costing as much as a decent car of the same name ( anyone know anyone that has parted with cash for this setup?)

I want a surfboard/ hydrofoil convertible for a trip - so the board has to be short but decent wave board and the foil has to be carbon. preferably light enough to fit with a couple of kites in a bag that won't break the bank. Any suggestions?

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:11 pm

You can contact Thermikboard, a french reference shaper who experienced several ideas of foil-split-boards for travelling like the following board, with very good fabrication quality:
http://kitefoil.forumactif.org/t3588-sp ... nelle-foil

As a professional shaper I think he can do one at your dimensions / shape / color wishes as he did for this one.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:40 pm

I don't know of any production boards that small, so you may have to do something custom (convert a skimboard or something). If that is the case, you are limited to a plate mount, and you will want one that has a detachable strut and mast. Check out Zeeko. They have alloy for about $900 or carbon for about $1800. The alloy one is very nice, but it is heavy. I don't know how much lighter the carbon foil is, but I've heard it is also a very nice foil. i had a Zeeko foil, lost it (stupidly), and will probably buy another when the weather warms up.

There are a number of carbon foils under about 2k, but most are either race foils (probably not what you want as a beginner), or have use a Tuttle box (hassle if you use your own board). Aside from Zeeko, you could also look at LP, KFA, and Go Foil.

If you don't mind the weight, there are a number of alloy foils that could work as well, some (like cabrinha) are only available as ultra low aspect, which may or may not be what you want. Sroka, liquid force have some options for around $1000 or so.

Slingshot has two sizes of "dwarfcraft" coming out soon that are under 140 cm, but it isn't available yet and will require a plate mount.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:10 pm

tmcfarla wrote:I don't know of any production boards that small, so you may have to do something custom (convert a skimboard or something). If that is the case, you are limited to a plate mount, and you will want one that has a detachable strut and mast. Check out Zeeko. They have alloy for about $900 or carbon for about $1800. The alloy one is very nice, but it is heavy. I don't know how much lighter the carbon foil is, but I've heard it is also a very nice foil. i had a Zeeko foil, lost it (stupidly), and will probably buy another when the weather warms up.

There are a number of carbon foils under about 2k, but most are either race foils (probably not what you want as a beginner), or have use a Tuttle box (hassle if you use your own board). Aside from Zeeko, you could also look at LP, KFA, and Go Foil.

If you don't mind the weight, there are a number of alloy foils that could work as well, some (like cabrinha) are only available as ultra low aspect, which may or may not be what you want. Sroka, liquid force have some options for around $1000 or so.

Slingshot has two sizes of "dwarfcraft" coming out soon that are under 140 cm, but it isn't available yet and will require a plate mount.
The Ketos pocket board is 107 by 46cm
http://www.ketos-foil.com/en/board-pour ... board.html

The Horue Caneri Pro is 106 by 43cm, but currently sold out.
http://www.horue.fr/boards2/caneri-pro-model

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:38 pm

problem solved :jump:

Icharus
Medium Poster
Gear: foil

Postby Icharus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:55 pm

Always great to see more resources - wish my french was better. However I am looking for a proper wave board setup. I rarely ride a twin any more ( it turns out boosting does get old - after about 15 years!)

I have at the last count 9 boards at home including a Sroka foil setup. I want to travel to more wife friendly locations - light wind but consistent wind and some waves to bash.

I have done the whole wake skate thing ( sorry that makes it 10 boards - missed that one) - but I keep gong back to a surf board - its where I started all those years ago before twins were really accepted. - The split is interesting tho.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:11 pm

So you need something like this.

http://www.newind.net/splitboard/

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:33 am

George from delta can make you a custom split board for any foil. Not cheap but good for traveling often

Return to “Hydrofoil”