Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Liquid Force and Cabrinha after market Wings?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kitehawaii
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lanes and Hookipa, Maui, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo, Lakey Pipe, Cloud Break
Style: Waves
Gear: Malolo Hawaii Custom wave boards by me. Armstrong Foils, Liquid Force SOLO
Brand Affiliation: Armstrong Foils
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Liquid Force and Cabrinha after market Wings?

Postby kitehawaii » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:46 am

Can some users of the beginner foil package from Liquid Force and Cabrinha give me their opinions about how quickly they feel they will out grow the large low aspect wings that come stock with the LF Foil Fish or the new Cabrinha Foil Package?

Personally I out grew the wing very quickly and wanted to go faster.

Do you feel you will be in the market for new main wing that offers more performance or a completely different and more high performance Carbon foil set from a different manufacturer?

Mahalo for your time.

Malolo Hawaii

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Liquid Force and Cabrinha after market Wings?

Postby cglazier » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:39 am

The Liquid Force is a popular entry level foil. My friends who have them have progressed and now want to upgrade. My advice is that they should upgrade not just the wings, but certainly also the fuselage, mast, and board.

:wink: CG

(we have an expression in English: "You can't make a slik purse out of a sows ear")

kitehawaii
Medium Poster
Gear: Malolo Hawaii Custom wave boards by me. Armstrong Foils, Liquid Force SOLO

Postby kitehawaii » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:43 am

cglazier wrote:The Liquid Force is a popular entry level foil. My friends who have them have progressed and now want to upgrade. My advice is that they should upgrade not just the wings, but certainly also the fuselage, mast, and board.

:wink: CG

(we have an expression in English: "You can't make a slik purse out of a sows ear")
I thought it was time on the water that made a person a better rider. Have they progressed to the point where they can do foiling tacks and jibes? If you add an after market main wing that is 30% faster and has a looser roll control and then see if they are at the same level?

There is no substitute for time on your equipment and incremental changes and measuring your performance improvement.

I'm pretty sure I could beat a guy on more expensive equipment if he can't make his tacks or jibes.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:08 am

I'm nowhere near mastering my LF foil, I'm still struggling on my starboard tack. But I can hit its top end on port tack quite easily.

I was thinking of upgrading to something faster and I saw the aftermarket wings posted. But for a few hundred $ more I can get a whole new aluminum foil to play with vs just wings. If there was a faster wing set in the $200 range I would consider upgrading/adding another wing set. Spending a lot of $ to upgrade this foil just doesn't seem worth it. Depending on how soon those new wings hit a newly found limit, I would start thinking I need to upgrade the rest of the foil and be back where I started.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:32 am

norcom wrote: I was thinking of upgrading to something faster and I saw the aftermarket wings posted. But for a few hundred $ more I can get a whole new aluminum foil to play with vs just wings. If there was a faster wing set in the $200 range I would consider upgrading/adding another wing set. Spending a lot of $ to upgrade this foil just doesn't seem worth it. Depending on how soon those new wings hit a newly found limit, I would start thinking I need to upgrade the rest of the foil and be back where I started.
Was thinking exactly the same thing. Besides "upgrading" wings on an entry level foil might make it a little faster but nowhere near fast.

Entry level foils should be seen for what they are, an accessible way of getting into the sport, not wannabee racers. How long before you upgrade to a high end foil depends on your personal ability and goals.

kitehawaii
Medium Poster

Postby kitehawaii » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:43 am

windmaker wrote:
norcom wrote: I was thinking of upgrading to something faster and I saw the aftermarket wings posted. But for a few hundred $ more I can get a whole new aluminum foil to play with vs just wings. If there was a faster wing set in the $200 range I would consider upgrading/adding another wing set. Spending a lot of $ to upgrade this foil just doesn't seem worth it. Depending on how soon those new wings hit a newly found limit, I would start thinking I need to upgrade the rest of the foil and be back where I started.
Was thinking exactly the same thing. Besides "upgrading" wings on an entry level foil might make it a little faster but nowhere near fast.

Entry level foils should be seen for what they are, an accessible way of getting into the sport, not wannabee racers. How long before you upgrade to a high end foil depends on your personal ability and goals.
It's interesting how you are judging the LF Foil's drag and placing a large majority of the blame on the mast/strut fuselage and not associating the drag with the main wing and or the tail wing. Having ridden the LF mast/strut for over a year on mostly my wing I can tell you first hand it's just as fast as Lift when the riders abilities are similar. In my opinion the majority of the speed and stability is associated with the main wing's design, profile, foil section, sweep, anhedral, dihedral Generally you can put a good wing on the your stock Foil Fish and make the package much looser and faster. Once mastered (year's later) you would be able to adapt to and ride anything with confidence.

In my opinion mods are one of the coolest things about the LF Foil Package

I look at the main wing just like a favorite wave board. Once I get used to it I know it's strengths and weaknesses. When you can push it and when to cruise. Every wing is different with it's own flight characteristics. Fly it before passing judgement.

Below is retail pricing for Liquid Force Wing Sets for 2016

ROCKET FOIL- WING SET $299.99
ROCKET FOIL- FRONT WING $199.99 low aspect
ROCKETFOIL- REAR WING $99.99
HAPPY FOIL-WING SET $579.99
HAPPY FOIL- FRONT WING $369.99 medium aspect
HAPPY FOIL-REAR WING $209.99
FOIL-HIGH ASPECT WING SET $549.99
FOIL-HIGH ASPECT FRONT WING $349.99
FOIL-HIGH ASPECT REAR WING $199.99
FOIL -WING SET (low aspect-glass) $499.99
FOIL WING FRONT (low aspect-glass) $329.99
FOIL WING REAR  (low aspect-glass) $199.99

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:25 am

Retail prices are spendy too :(

TPink
Medium Poster

Postby TPink » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:10 pm

kitehawaii wrote:
windmaker wrote:

It's interesting how you are judging the LF Foil's drag and placing a large majority of the blame on the mast/strut fuselage and not associating the drag with the main wing and or the tail wing. Having ridden the LF mast/strut for over a year on mostly my wing I can tell you first hand it's just as fast as Lift when the riders abilities are similar. In my opinion the majority of the speed and stability is associated with the main wing's design, profile, foil section, sweep, anhedral, dihedral Generally you can put a good wing on the your stock Foil Fish and make the package much looser and faster. Once mastered (year's later) you would be able to adapt to and ride anything with confidence.

In my opinion mods are one of the coolest things about the LF Foil Package

I look at the main wing just like a favorite wave board. Once I get used to it I know it's strengths and weaknesses. When you can push it and when to cruise. Every wing is different with it's own flight characteristics. Fly it before passing judgement.

Below is retail pricing for Liquid Force Wing Sets for 2016

ROCKET FOIL- WING SET $299.99
ROCKET FOIL- FRONT WING $199.99 low aspect
ROCKETFOIL- REAR WING $99.99
HAPPY FOIL-WING SET $579.99
HAPPY FOIL- FRONT WING $369.99 medium aspect
HAPPY FOIL-REAR WING $209.99
FOIL-HIGH ASPECT WING SET $549.99
FOIL-HIGH ASPECT FRONT WING $349.99
FOIL-HIGH ASPECT REAR WING $199.99
FOIL -WING SET (low aspect-glass) $499.99
FOIL WING FRONT (low aspect-glass) $329.99
FOIL WING REAR  (low aspect-glass) $199.99

I find it humorous when Co's still use the old $.9.99..

common, that was a marketing trick back in the 50s, we've all grown up a bit.

Just call it what it is.

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:07 pm

Does your wing really make the LF foil 30% faster? Measured with GPS or is that an estimate?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Mon Feb 22, 2016 3:39 pm

TPink wrote:.....the old $.9.99......was a marketing trick back in the 50s, we've all grown up a bit.

Just call it what it is.
Silly as it may seem, psychological testing consistently confirms that consumers highly prefer paying $9.99 to paying the (exorbitantly higher!! :lol: ) $10.00. Go figure. IMHO, these studies just confirm how stupid the typical consumer really is. Big marketing companies wouldn't continue the "trick" if it didn't work. :o

Return to “Hydrofoil”