Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Liquid Force and Cabrinha after market Wings?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Liquid Force and Cabrinha after market Wings?

Postby alsbirk » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:48 am

I agree with Hawaii´s

There is a lot of fun and performance to gain with just a new front wing once you outgrow the big LF stock one. Our own design is high AR but fairly big at around 700cm^2

I also gain around 25-30% speed with my own higher AR wing than on the stock LF one. I have done a lot of GPS measures.

the stock LF one has a very specific speed limit at 33-35 km/h - faster than that is very hard to control.

Our own upgrade wing design instantly moves the speed limit to 43-45 km/g and the cruising speed with the same kite power moves 5-10 km/h and I can go 37-39 km/h with easy and lots of control. Upwind speed increase from approx 25 to 31 km/h etc.

So yes, the LF mast is a bit draggy, but mostly the wings affect the performance actually.

I have been riding this wing for almost year now and the LF foil is with this wing not really something that I feel I will outgrow, except for specific racing purposes. Manouvers and handling is very good and fun :-)

T
Attachments
LF_wing_upgrade.JPG
LF_wing_upgrade.JPG (66.82 KiB) Viewed 1532 times

kitehawaii
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lanes and Hookipa, Maui, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo, Lakey Pipe, Cloud Break
Style: Waves
Gear: Malolo Hawaii Custom wave boards by me. Armstrong Foils, Liquid Force SOLO
Brand Affiliation: Armstrong Foils

Postby kitehawaii » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:46 am

alsbirk wrote:I agree with Hawaii´s

There is a lot of fun and performance to gain with just a new front wing once you outgrow the big LF stock one. Our own design is high AR but fairly big at around 700cm^2

I also gain around 25-30% speed with my own higher AR wing than on the stock LF one. I have done a lot of GPS measures.

the stock LF one has a very specific speed limit at 33-35 km/h - faster than that is very hard to control.

Our own upgrade wing design instantly moves the speed limit to 43-45 km/g and the cruising speed with the same kite power moves 5-10 km/h and I can go 37-39 km/h with easy and lots of control. Upwind speed increase from approx 25 to 31 km/h etc.

So yes, the LF mast is a bit draggy, but mostly the wings affect the performance actually.

I have been riding this wing for almost year now and the LF foil is with this wing not really something that I feel I will outgrow, except for specific racing purposes. Manouvers and handling is very good and fun :-)

T
Very cool, mahalo for your input. I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt the potential for the stock LF package was just beginning to be figured out. With that said I was fortunate enough to get to test the New LF Happy Foil this winter here in Maui. The improvements are there but with that said every wing has it's own feel. I need more time on the LF Med Aspect wing to determine the fun factor.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:57 am

kitehawaii wrote:every wing has it's own feel.
I have no doubt this is true and can completely relate them to surfboards. The most fun ones are not always the most efficient or fastest.

All out efficiency and speed are for racers. My life got so much better when I ditched the slalom windsurf gear for a tubby wave shape. Every gear move since has been in search of fun over speed. From TT's to surfboards virtually every aspect that makes em carvy and fun comes at the cost of some outright efficiency. Why would foils be any different. They are pretty damn inherently efficient and I fully expect the next few years to be pretty exciting as we see the fun side get a bit more R&D.

Good on you for coming out with after market wings. It's a great idea. I for one will be watching and wish you success.

kitehawaii
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lanes and Hookipa, Maui, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo, Lakey Pipe, Cloud Break
Style: Waves
Gear: Malolo Hawaii Custom wave boards by me. Armstrong Foils, Liquid Force SOLO
Brand Affiliation: Armstrong Foils

Postby kitehawaii » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:19 am

OBX-Toeside-Air-Tack.gif
OBX-Toeside-Air-Tack.gif (1.2 MiB) Viewed 1360 times
Starsky wrote:
kitehawaii wrote:every wing has it's own feel.
Why would foils be any different. They are pretty damn inherently efficient and I fully expect the next few years to be pretty exciting as we see the fun side get a bit more R&D.
Right on, another like minded soul. Down to the nitty gritty though. Each mold cost approx $900 to CNC out of hard wood.

We are currently experimenting with wing shapes that make foiling more forgiving with less drop out at low speed along with a super efficient ramp up to foil. Ideally we'd like t make a wing system with and all around front wing based on riders weight with a lifting body snub tail that are hand shaped or CNC'd to the riders preference just like going to your custom shaper for just the right turning vs planning.

If there are any riders that would like hui up (co-operative group in hawaii) Malolo Hawaii has the 3D and CNC capabilities to produce custom wing molds.

alsbirk
Frequent Poster
Gear: LF prod. and samples
Brand Affiliation: Involved with R&D for LF

Postby alsbirk » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:16 pm

Yeah making molds takes time, luckily my buddy has build his own CNC machine in his basement so we can basicly do what ever we want in wingdesigns, but it still takes time and effort.

Fun wings has a big future for sure, we ride mostly for fun, right?

T

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Starsky » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:15 pm

This thread brings up the concept of how the wings mount to the fuse.

Definitely an argument for simplicity! I can see the appeal of very solid looking stuff like the new SS foil with its over fitting wing, or the single through bolt concept like magma and F-one use, but a simple flat mounting surface like the LF, Zeeko, Alpine, Cab, TKF, Horue, Moses, and Taaroa use looks more versatile. Not a lot of work to get aftermarket wings to fit.

Add flat bolt on mount to the fuse to things like plate board mount if you want to keep your options open down the road.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon May 18, 2020 10:04 am

Does anyone here know if the Cabrinha alu mast is compatible with LF plate and fuselage? Thanks

Return to “Hydrofoil”