zdunigan
Rare Poster
Gear: kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Toeside roll tack?

Postby zdunigan » Mon May 16, 2016 2:38 am

I am dialed on a standard roll tack....going in heel side and coming out toeside. Kiteloop early and back behind you to pull you through the tack.

any one out there tried this going in toe side?

Been trying the toeside roll tack and not having a ton of luck. This would be a great skill as it would let me tack to my offside where I am stuck doing a down wind jibe.

imagine....going in to the tack toe side and coming out heelside, never changing up your stance. this would let you stay with you strong foot forward and tack....in both directions.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Toeside roll tack?

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 16, 2016 7:32 am

It seems a bit more difficult, but as Greg shows several times in the vid (and the first vid too just with touchdowns) it works !

Although, the term "roll tack" is wrong for both, as they are simply tacks without switching feet, as the word "roll" describes how you roll your body around on the board under the lines when switching feet.

Around 2:05 and forward you will see some tacks from toeside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euQKcy8RFOM

I am impressed by the 360's he does going downwind instead of upwind - and each half of both type of 360s are similar to a tack without switching feet, so in a downwind 360 you actually do exactly what you ask for too in the last half of it :rollgrin:

It all looks "ridiculously" easy ha haaa - we all know it is not, but an art to make it so fluid and easy looking :thumb:

Hope you get it dialed, let us hear how it works out for you zdunigan ?

8) PF

PS: Regarding ones strong foot, I find it much better NOT to ride mostly on one side, as you will be lousy on the other side then.
Also, it seems your strong foot is different in hydrofoiling, as usually we use it as our rear foot on old boards, and to some extent in hydrofoiling too, but on foils when carving you can often turn better having your strong foot forward especially when learning turns, as it is the "leading foot" which is used to turn the foil, almost completely opposite to what we were used to :naughty:

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon May 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote: PS: Regarding ones strong foot, I find it much better NOT to ride mostly on one side, as you will be lousy on the other side then.
Also, it seems your strong foot is different in hydrofoiling, as usually we use it as our rear foot on old boards, and to some extent in hydrofoiling too, but on foils when carving you can often turn better having your strong foot forward especially when learning turns, as it is the "leading foot" which is used to turn the foil, almost completely opposite to what we were used to :naughty:

Agree with the aim to train your weaker side/foot as much as possible, it will pay off making you a more complete rider and offering a lot of flexibility how to ride (in different conditions)
= potentially more fun :)

What you say about the opposite regarding the strong foot on hydrofoil compared to surfboard, I do not feel the same. Understand what you describe, just can not really relate to it with my own riding experience. Sounds interesting though.

Greg's downwind 360 is something to try, to work on!
It looks like it will be a 540 really. Kite high for the first 360 and then loop to ride out of it and complete the 540.
At 1:28 in video above.

Cheers,
frank
http://www.kite-hydrofoil.de/hydrofoil

zdunigan
Rare Poster
Gear: kites
Been thanked: 0

Postby zdunigan » Mon May 16, 2016 9:41 pm

My intention here is to learn a new transition...been stuck switching my feet and jibing for a long time now.

Peter are you able to ride toeside with both feet for ward? I think that is quite a skill that not many people have mastered. I have always been far less proficient trying to do anything technical with my right foot forward. That being said I am constantly riding right foot forward after the tack/jibe and stance switch. I use this to point as high as possible in both directions but that is about it with the right foot.

I would really like to be able to ride switch stance on a surfboard so that you never have to hit the lip back side...

Unreal what the BRM guy is doing in that video. He flies the kite one handed behind his head to do the toe side tack.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 16, 2016 10:26 pm

Ahem, well, yes, I am not very good really at tricks, compared to many, but toeside is equally well on both tacks for me yes :roll:

Maybe the windsurfing background is the reason for this.

But I dont think this it is a particularly rare skill, although some from surfing backgrounds are more fixed on one side only, yes :wink:

Eventhough when I surf, I am better regular indeed, but for windsurf and kitesurf both sides works.

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue May 17, 2016 4:31 am

Peter_Frank wrote:Although, the term "roll tack" is wrong for both, as they are simply tacks without switching feet, as the word "roll" describes how you roll your body around on the board under the lines when switching feet.

:
In windsurfing we call it a duck tack.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am

windmaker wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:Although, the term "roll tack" is wrong for both, as they are simply tacks without switching feet, as the word "roll" describes how you roll your body around on the board under the lines when switching feet.

:
In windsurfing we call it a duck tack.
True, I also did that at first (on waveboards), till it got a more common name here - and actually I find rolltack more correct now, as in windsurfing we (usually, I dont know how others do) switch feet first, and then carve up for the tack while we duck under the sail.

In kitesurfing we switch feet simultaneously, as we roll around (behind the lines) while we tack.

8) Peter

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue May 17, 2016 8:20 am

Isn't a tack without switching feet, which is a tack without keep facing the kite, called a duck tack too?
While a tack with switching feet but without rolling isn't a duck tack?
These two options are both no roll tacks though.
However, it seems for kiting/foiling tack and roll tack seem to be the most used terms that are the easiest to understand too.
According to that I see three ways of doing a tack:
- Tack without switching feet (of course there are two ways to do this: regular to switch / switch to regular) - lines twist while doing the tack
- Tack with switching feet while keep facing the kite - lines do not twist while doing the tack
- Roll tack - lines twist while doing the tack

Cheers
Frank
http://www.kite-hydrofoil.de

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 17, 2016 9:45 am

You are right Frank, the tack where you dont switch feet could be called a "Duck Tack" yes (but not a roll tack).

So a toeside duck tack (toeside to normal) is what this thread is about :D

That could be a good way to determine for clarification, if a roll tack you roll your feet around in the tack, if a duck tack you duck under the lines but dont switch feet :thumb:

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:08 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:You are right Frank, the tack where you dont switch feet could be called a "Duck Tack" yes (but not a roll tack).
I thought a duck tack was the tack when you keep your back to the wind and kick the nose of the board through the wind? (Mostly done with board on the surface)

Return to “Hydrofoil”