A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Where are the reviews?!?!

Postby Kamikuza » Fri May 27, 2016 9:13 am

Maybe I've not been looking hard enough, but I've seen little other than a sentence here or there comparing foils, board etc.

I'm weighing up the pros n' cons of buying some bits to keep the LF-FF going or saving that money for a new foil . . . or board . . .

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Where are the reviews?!?!

Postby ulx » Fri May 27, 2016 11:44 am

I guess there are only a few people worldwide that have a good level of foiling and have had the opportunity to compare a lot of different combos. Frank Rosin is one of them by the way.

I am sure that will change though. One or two years max.

Plus, I guess if you read in French forums you will probably find a much wider spread expertise.
If you are willing to go through the french, here is quite a lot of info: http://kitefoil.forumactif.org/f23-le-coin-des-pros
Last edited by ulx on Fri May 27, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri May 27, 2016 11:54 am

Thought for sure we would have heard a little more about the Taaroa Joy by now.

No new word on the Axis Maroro either.
Last edited by Starsky on Fri May 27, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)
Been thanked: 0

Postby mig27 » Fri May 27, 2016 12:10 pm

Only last year there was a big test in a French magazine. You can find it in the Zeeko topic I guess, because their aluminium foil won.

I have not seen any larger test than two up to five foils, which is still too less IMO

SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Fri May 27, 2016 12:13 pm

Starsky wrote:Thought for sure we would have heard a little more about the Taaroa Joy by now.
I had a short try with the Joy. It was mounted with the flat race wings from the Sword 2. It seemed as performant as my Spotz 2 but felt a lot more stable !

I contacted Martin from Taaroa and I'm gonna give it another go soon with my GPS to really compare the top speed I can manage with the Joy.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri May 27, 2016 12:21 pm

ulx wrote:I guess there are only a few people worldwide that have a good level of foiling and have had the opportunity to compare a lot of different combos. Frank Rosin is one of them by the way.

I am sure that will change though. One or two years max.

Plus, I guess if you read in French forums you will probably find a much wider spread expertise.
Ha, thanks for that 'rating'.

I got a relative solid selection of foils (and foilboards) that I have ridden and made notes about, including pictures, a bit of video and a little weight database for example.
Quite a bit of work to put it into a format ready to publish, but working on it...
If any brands want to have their gear included, feel free to contact me and possibly there is a way to make it happen.

Starsky wrote:No new word on the Axis Maroro either.
I hear the AXIS foil is coming closer to be finalized. Perfectionism sometimes works against scheduled product release. In the end probably a good thing for the consumer though.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.kites-hydrofoil.de/hydrofoil
http://www.facebook.com/kitehydrofoilde/

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri May 27, 2016 12:56 pm

What about Horue? The H13 has been sold out for almost a year, and the GP cruising foil sold out months ago.

Somebody must have one! Have never really heard much about either as far as rider reviews. A brand that would be top on my list were I able to try one. His website front page.... windsurfing foil back loop, cool as, but thought that sport was in decline 20 years ago. His facebook page, again, more windfoil than kite foil.

How about the foil the BRM guys ride? Looks like a Bellacera plate, mast and fuse with Custom wings (Jim Stringfellow?). Flat wings with winglets. Anyone have the skinny on that stuff?

lander
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby lander » Sat May 28, 2016 6:43 am

Here are the foils I have tried:

Spotz1: very stable even in low speed. The mast not so stiff so in higher speeds specially on the upwind the foil shakes a bit. Not the best angles.

Spotz2: very stable foil, easy to ride, good angles but have some vibrations so not the smoothest ride.

Sword1: easy to ride, tracks a lot, good speed and angles, but can have its limit arround 52 km pr hour.

Sword2: maybe the best mast on the market. The first set of wings were not very pitch stable but 2. And 3. Generation of wings is mutch better. Good speed and angles and a very smooth ride. Difficult to travel with.

KFA mrk1: very beautefull foil but way too soft. Have not tried the new generation, but hear very good words about it.

Carafino: first edition. Good beginner foil. Have a lot of vibrations though.

Foils I would like to try: KFA new generation, Levitaz, Moses, Tuna and ML.

Have a fiend who just got the taaroa joy with racing wings. He is very happy with this setup for high performance freeride and easy traveling.

Remember you get what you pay for!

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Sat May 28, 2016 8:52 am

lander wrote: Foils I would like to try: KFA new generation, Levitaz, Moses, Tuna and ML.
Like your short comments about the foils you have ridden!

I know all Levitaz and all Moses foils, highly recommended foils.
For months Levitaz was my go to foil, which now is the Moses Vorace Free Race.
lander wrote: Remember you get what you pay for!
This is true to a certain extend only I'd say, would not agree on paying more automatically giving you a 'better' or faster, or stronger, or stiffer, or better developed or built foil.

For example there are quite big differences in the cheaper segment (alloy foils), some are really nice to ride even for more experienced riders and some are pure beginner foils only.

And on Carbon foils the Moses Vorace in my opinion is maybe the best value for money (being easily a few hundreds, often 25% cheaper than 'compareable' other foils) while construction and performance (and service!) is up there with the other top notch foils money can buy.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.kite-hydrofoil.de/hydrofoil

Return to “Hydrofoil”