Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shin Shinnster and El Stubbo first ride!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Shin Shinnster and El Stubbo first ride!

Postby bigwave » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:42 pm

A great start to summer today with some super nice SW winds and first rides on the Shinn foil boards. I'm a big fan of the Shinnster so I was really excited to see that Mark has given it the foil option. The Foil plate is a carbon with wood core that attaches with 8 screws with inserts in the board. The plate offers 3 positions to mount the Zeeko foil using inserts in the plate. We used the middle position today.
This was the first time I've used a Zeeko Aluminum foil and it was really balanced and smooth. I've had the opportunity to try several foils,Aguera,Cabrinha,Slingshot Hover Glide, and Sroka and this wing is one of the best I've used. Great maneuverability with nice speed. The Shinnster is kinda narrow at 46cm wide but its not bad during on the water turns. I used it with a 3 strap set up. The front strap angle puts your foot a little more perpendicular than other boards I ridden. The straps are very big ,so having them loose is not a problem even with booties. That said ,i actually got my foot caught a couple times when I crashed. I think it has more to do with the angle.
The El Stubbo is much wider than the Shinnster but shorter. Ive never been on a board this small. The first ride was like" there's no nose here" ! Like the Shinnster, touch downs were not to bad and you can easily on water jibe if you keep your momentum up. After a couple of runs I was really liking it!
So,how beginner friendly are they? I'm a big proponent of volume in lighter conditions and for learning. A no volume style like the Cabrinha Double Agent is easier than both Shinns on the water , but that Zeeko foil is so much better the the DA. With the Shinns your getting 2 very fun to ride boards without the foil. For travel these 2 are a great option.
Both Shinn's are super fun and with him partnering up with a proven quality foil like Zeeko is a total winner!

xoen
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Mar bella, Riumar
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed Lotus 15m. 2013 Cabrinha Switchblades 7,9,12 m/ Shinnster/Cabrinha Tronic/Sroka Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Shin Shinnster and El Stubbo first ride!

Postby xoen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:01 am

bigwave wrote:A great start to summer today with some super nice SW winds and first rides on the Shinn foil boards. I'm a big fan of the Shinnster so I was really excited to see that Mark has given it the foil option. The Foil plate is a carbon with wood core that attaches with 8 screws with inserts in the board. The plate offers 3 positions to mount the Zeeko foil using inserts in the plate. We used the middle position today.
This was the first time I've used a Zeeko Aluminum foil and it was really balanced and smooth. I've had the opportunity to try several foils,Aguera,Cabrinha,Slingshot Hover Glide, and Sroka and this wing is one of the best I've used. Great maneuverability with nice speed. The Shinnster is kinda narrow at 46cm wide but its not bad during on the water turns. I used it with a 3 strap set up. The front strap angle puts your foot a little more perpendicular than other boards I ridden. The straps are very big ,so having them loose is not a problem even with booties. That said ,i actually got my foot caught a couple times when I crashed. I think it has more to do with the angle.
The El Stubbo is much wider than the Shinnster but shorter. Ive never been on a board this small. The first ride was like" there's no nose here" ! Like the Shinnster, touch downs were not to bad and you can easily on water jibe if you keep your momentum up. After a couple of runs I was really liking it!
So,how beginner friendly are they? I'm a big proponent of volume in lighter conditions and for learning. A no volume style like the Cabrinha Double Agent is easier than both Shinns on the water , but that Zeeko foil is so much better the the DA. With the Shinns your getting 2 very fun to ride boards without the foil. For travel these 2 are a great option.
Both Shinn's are super fun and with him partnering up with a proven quality foil like Zeeko is a total winner!
hello,

how do the shinnster and the El Stubbo behave, compared to each other? any differences? Which one would you recomend, the shinnster or elstubbo for hydrofoiling? and for standard riding? I am asking that, casuse I have a Shinnster v1, and would like to get a hydrofoil. I do not know if either buy the El Stubbo +foil, or just buy the foil try to modify my currentt Shinnster somehow, or even buy the Shinnster v2+foil and sell the old shinnster. Any opinions?

x.

Icharus
Medium Poster
Gear: foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Icharus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:57 am

I did not get on with the shinnster ( many many people disagree with me tho ) - I thought it was too flexi - El stubbo was great. As a one board that does it all its enormous fun. Its not excellent at anything ( well maybe as a foil platform - it really is a great size and the stiffness is perfect unlike other similar products I could name) but pretty good at everything even boosting - a lot of fun to charge about on in rough to small waves high winds.

peet
Medium Poster
Style: Wakestyle
Gear: Airush Razor / Livewire / Cypher / Wave / Vantage
Shinn ADHD
Brand Affiliation: Team rider for Airush / Shinn

Postby peet » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:01 pm

I've had a couple of short trips out on a friend's El Stubbo/Zeeko Alloy. He had both front straps attached and no rear, whereas I'm used to riding strapless on my low aspect Moses foil.
I found the Zeeko to be very different to the Moses which can be pushed into foiling at very low boardspeeds; the Zeeko requires more front foot pressure whilst the board gains speed before she'll start coming out of the water. Before the board starts foiling it feels stable whilst you pick up speed and should be quite an easy one to learn on, provided you resist the temptation to load your back leg too much.
Once foiling, the experience is awesome - the foil feels super super stable like its on rails, and soon accelerates up to a tidy speed.
On the Moses I feel like I have to ride with a significant safety margin between the foil and the surface of the water, yet with the Zeeko this doesnt seem necessary; both masts are 90cm, but it felt like I was riding much higher out of the water in comfort on the Zeeko.

The Zeeko also feels really nice in the turns, and holds its speed well when there is little power from the kite. There's also good feedback when the foil is on the brink of stalling, giving you the chance to adjust the kite or board trim accordingly.

The El Stubbo board itself seemed a nice size with a good scoop in the nose. The deckpads were nice and soft and comfy underfoot, and I really liked the 3 options on the deckplate to adjust the foil positioning. My friend has the foil on the centre position, which was fine, but I felt I had to place my rear foot close to the front of the back pad. I'd like to try it on the rear setting which should allow my rear foot to be a bit further back.
I'm also looking forward to trying the Stubbo without the foil for some strapless fun in the surf - maybe next time ;-)

xoen
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Mar bella, Riumar
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed Lotus 15m. 2013 Cabrinha Switchblades 7,9,12 m/ Shinnster/Cabrinha Tronic/Sroka Hydrofoil

Postby xoen » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:34 am

Great!. thanks for the answers. And what about waveriding? does the el stubbo perform decently in waves?

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bigwave » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:40 pm

xoen wrote:
bigwave wrote:A great start to summer today with some super nice SW winds and first rides on the Shinn foil boards. I'm a big fan of the Shinnster so I was really excited to see that Mark has given it the foil option. The Foil plate is a carbon with wood core that attaches with 8 screws with inserts in the board. The plate offers 3 positions to mount the Zeeko foil using inserts in the plate. We used the middle position today.
hello,

how do the shinnster and the El Stubbo behave, compared to each other? any differences? Which one would you recomend, the shinnster or elstubbo for hydrofoiling? and for standard riding? I am asking that, casuse I have a Shinnster v1, and would like to get a hydrofoil. I do not know if either buy the El Stubbo +foil, or just buy the foil try to modify my currentt Shinnster somehow, or even buy the Shinnster v2+foil and sell the old shinnster. Any opinions?

x.
Hello,

If your a beginning foil rider I would say the Shinnster would be a better choice. Its length (160cm) definitely helps a bit when your on the water. The Stubbo is very short and I would think it would be challenging to learn on because at first there is much time on the water. Once your riding on foil, it would be more personal preference on what style of board to ride. I think a lot of people will be buying either the Shinnster or Stubbo with the intent of riding board only. Since you have a Shinnster, you already know how that works. I have not yet got to ride the El Stubbo without the foil.
The Zeeko foil is pretty impressive. It foils pretty quick with a little board speed. Once foiling,its super stable and pretty quick.I think the 40mm fin really helps in the stability.
I think from a retail stand point, we are going to sell more Shinnster Foils. We have a lot of new customers interested in foiling and I think the Shinnster is a easier option for foil and has a huge wind range non foil. For the more experienced guys or girls, the El Stubbo is pretty sweet.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:48 pm

Anyone try the el stubbo without the carbon plate? I'm on a skim with some flex and really can't say it poses any problems foiling. I love the board. Perfect size and shape for freefoiling.

At this point I assemble as little as possible for day to day riding/transport. That plate would either live on the board or somewhere in the basement. Unless it's needed for foil attachment?

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster

Postby bigwave » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:32 pm

Starsky wrote:Anyone try the el stubbo without the carbon plate? I'm on a skim with some flex and really can't say it poses any problems foiling. I love the board. Perfect size and shape for freefoiling.

At this point I assemble as little as possible for day to day riding/transport. That plate would either live on the board or somewhere in the basement. Unless it's needed for foil attachment?
The Plate is need for the attachment of the foil. There are 3 positions available for the foil. the plate is held on using 8 screws into inserts.I think Shinn went this route to keep the non foil ride of the boards good. Its not hard to attach the plate on the board but it takes a little time.

GregK
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Hydrofoil mostly
Gear: Lift 170 Fish & 110 wingsets, 32" strut
Ocean Rodeo & BRM kites
Brand Affiliation: Comox Kite Repair
http://www.comoxkiterepair.ca

Postby GregK » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:48 pm

Possible to mount a SS Hover Glide pedestal to the Shinn foil plate ?

I`m thinking with a shorter mast ( SS Flight School ) learning with a short board like El Stubbo wouldn`t be as difficult.

Correct me please as I`m completely new to foiling, just one short session on the LP smaller front wing / taller mast / LP board.

Shinnworld2
Rare Poster
Local Beach: El Cabezo, Tenerife
Gear: Shinn, Blade, Da Kine,
Brand Affiliation: Owner Shinn Kiteboards

Postby Shinnworld2 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:43 am

I don't normally post too much here but i have a couple of comments I think that might be useful here to answer some questions.

The insert setting on our oil plate are for a 165 x 90mm foil head. This is the "most" standard on the market right now and includes Levitaz, Moses, Zeeko and many more. I can't answer for any specific brand but you can always check if your plate head fits 165 x 90.

I developed the Carbon Plate because i wanted a dual purpose board in both the Shinnster and El Stubbo and making the board stiff enough for foiling simply made it harsh and un-comfortable when use with the foil. If you wanted a dedicated foil only board then you wouldn't need the plate just a very stiff board.

In general I advise the use of the rear most placement for people new to foiling or those that want to make alot of transitions, the middle setting offers more speed and better upwind but at the price of pitch stability. The front setting is really only there for using some other brands foils on our board, with the Zeeko foils it is really too far forwards to be comfortable (at least at my level it is!)

Regarding choosing Shinnster or El Stubbo.... hmmm I think the choice is purely on style. ON day 1 of foiling the Shinnster maybe a fraction more forgiving but on day 2 I think the balance evens out. El Stubbo has a much wider nose and more lift meaning it deals with touch downs very well indeed. The Shinnster has a heritage and a following, if you want a SHinnster and you fancy some foiling then go Shinnster. El Stubbo is more multi functional... it rides great with traps, without straps, flat water small waves foil....if versatility and easy travel is what you want go El Stubbo.

Lastly strap angle.... this is a tricky one... 2 front straps is much easier to gybe and tack than one but for most riders experienced in directionals they are used to riding a single front strap. If you wish to increase the angle of the straps then the solution is to use one screw for the rear of both front straps in the centre of the board (that's why that option is there).

Any more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Mark Shinn

Return to “Hydrofoil”