Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Shin Shinnster and El Stubbo first ride!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Re: Shin Shinnster and El Stubbo first ride!

Postby robclaisse » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:59 am

I've had my El Stubbo and Zeeko Alu foil for a week and so far 4 sessions in and I'm loving it. This was my first time on a foilboard, so I can't compare it to anything else but my first sessions were in pretty light gusty winds (10-15 knots) on a 10m and the board and foil worked great. I'm now getting some good runs up on the foil and trying to get my head around gybes (board on the water). Definitely challenging, which is great but not as difficult as I first thought it may be, just needs some perseverance and taking the time to not rushing to get up on the foil immediately!

I actually wrote a blog post about my first day with 3 tips I think helped me, interested on anyone else's thoughts...
http://www.progression.me/blog/3-tips-f ... oil-board/

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:19 am

robclaisse wrote:I've had my El Stubbo and Zeeko Alu foil for a week and so far 4 sessions in and I'm loving it. This was my first time on a foilboard, so I can't compare it to anything else but my first sessions were in pretty light gusty winds (10-15 knots) on a 10m and the board and foil worked great. I'm now getting some good runs up on the foil and trying to get my head around gybes (board on the water). Definitely challenging, which is great but not as difficult as I first thought it may be, just needs some perseverance and taking the time to not rushing to get up on the foil immediately!

I actually wrote a blog post about my first day with 3 tips I think helped me, interested on anyone else's thoughts...
Hi Rob,
Did you mount the foil in the most rearward position when you started?

robclaisse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Currently living in Blouberg, Cape Town, ZA
Favorite Beaches: Shoreham-by-sea, UK
Waddell Creek - Santa Cruz, USA
Tableview, Cape Town, SA
Style: Waves / Foiling
Gear: F-one Breeze 15m, Bandits 11,8,6
Pocket 13cm with a Mirage 800, 85cm mast
Mitu 5'8"
Trax Carbon 137
Brand Affiliation: Progression Sports (Formally Fat Sand)

Postby robclaisse » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:07 am

ronnie wrote:Did you mount the foil in the most rearward position when you started?
Mistakenly I put it in the middle position for my first couple of goes, which seemed fine, but then I read what Mark said in this thread and changed it to the rear position for my last session and it worked well that way. I can't say I really noticed the difference but the conditions were very different too and I'm learning so much with every session.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:49 am

robclaisse wrote:
ronnie wrote:Did you mount the foil in the most rearward position when you started?
Mistakenly I put it in the middle position for my first couple of goes, which seemed fine, but then I read what Mark said in this thread and changed it to the rear position for my last session and it worked well that way. I can't say I really noticed the difference but the conditions were very different too and I'm learning so much with every session.
Thanks Rob. :thumb:

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:50 am

robclaisse wrote:I've had my El Stubbo and Zeeko Alu foil for a week and so far 4 sessions in and I'm loving it. This was my first time on a foilboard, so I can't compare it to anything else but my first sessions were in pretty light gusty winds (10-15 knots) on a 10m and the board and foil worked great. I'm now getting some good runs up on the foil and trying to get my head around gybes (board on the water). Definitely challenging, which is great but not as difficult as I first thought it may be, just needs some perseverance and taking the time to not rushing to get up on the foil immediately!

Great tips ..... The only two comments I would add are:

1. Think of your legs like pistons: Allow your legs to bend and capture a fast rising board. You can then use your bent legs to drive the board back down.
2. Learn to fall away from your board during crashes. I will often lift my feet to completely clear the board during a crash.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:10 pm

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:46 am

I'd love to get more feedback on the El Stubbo without the foil.

While I've has my Shinnster for a couple years now I used to love the ride but now I find it's poor performance at strapless airs quite annoying. I'm hoping that the El Stubbo's crazy width make it stick to your feet better or if it's still too heavy to use for strapless airs in moderate winds.

I demo'd an Ocean Rodeo Duke recently and was really impressed by it's strapless air abilities, and it's made in a non-dingable construction too which is one of the best things about the Shinnster/El Stubbo.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:16 am

Slappysan wrote:I'd love to get more feedback on the El Stubbo without the foil.

While I've has my Shinnster for a couple years now I used to love the ride but now I find it's poor performance at strapless airs quite annoying. I'm hoping that the El Stubbo's crazy width make it stick to your feet better or if it's still too heavy to use for strapless airs in moderate winds.

I demo'd an Ocean Rodeo Duke recently and was really impressed by it's strapless air abilities, and it's made in a non-dingable construction too which is one of the best things about the Shinnster/El Stubbo.
I have the El Stubbo and I suspect I am probably a tad too big for it (at 100kg), but it is a really fun board in waves and on the flat. I was riding it strapless and it is a lot of fun in a small package. I had intended to do some jumping on it, but I found the rear strap positions to far back.

It feels a bit stiffer and more solid than the shinnster/paipo, so it should be good for strapless airs.

I also bought the foil plate and attached a hoverglide foil to it. It's a great foil board because it is wide and there is almost no swing weight because it is so short. Only down side of the hoverglide attachment is the foil weight. The foil is almost heavy enough to sink the El Stubbo.

I will attach the zeeko foil to in next few days and see how that runs. Hopefully it will be faster than the hoverglide.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Has thanked: 0

Postby Flag53 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:59 pm

I Bought a Shinn el Stubbo as my first Hydrofoil.
As a learner I am obviously not qualified to comment too much about the foil but I do have some thoughts that convinced me to change to a Moses Fluente.
Firstly i found that there is next to no buoyancy. So much so that sometimes after a wipeout , the board would be submerged for up to a minute . A few times I thought that it had just sank completely!
Secondly. When using the Stubbo board on its own with no Foil and plate as a skimboard . It was way too skittish ( I've ridden wave and skimboards unhooked for over 8 years )
Thirdly , I'm no physicist but slapping a lump of Carbon on the bottom of a skimboard probably doesn't do much for the Hydrodynamics.
Fourthly its marketed as the perfect travel setup , but compared to the Moses , the weight of the Shinn setup would be very restrictive.

A more experienced Foiler might appreciate the this setup , but as a beginner it was very frustrating.
Sorry Mr Shinn for being so critical as I normally like your products.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mig27 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:41 pm

Flag53 wrote:I Bought a Shinn el Stubbo as my first Hydrofoil.
Firstly i found that there is next to no buoyancy. So much so that sometimes after a wipeout , the board would be submerged for up to a minute . A few times I thought that it had just sank completely!
Totally agree with that.
Not only for getting on the board buoyancy is a great help, but also in case of emergency (wind gone, not unusual when hydrofoiling): you can use the board as a floatation device.
Flag53 wrote: Thirdly , I'm no physicist but slapping a lump of Carbon on the bottom of a skimboard probably doesn't do much for the Hydrodynamics.
Basically it makes almost no difference for getting up the hydrofoil. As soon as the board is moving forward the wings are creating lift. Even if not lifted out of the water yet, it creates much less drag for the whole set-up.

The Moses fluente is a nice and rather affordable carbon foil. Nevertheless it weight 2750grams (foil and mast without board) against 3800grams for the aluminium Zeeko foil. Just a bit more than a kilogram, which is notable but not really heavy.
Does the stubbo weight so much more than the Moses board?

Return to “Hydrofoil”