Fastest production hydrofoils

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
FrederikS
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fastest production hydrofoils

Postby FrederikS » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:14 am

They are still on Taaroa based on images from race day 1.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:32 am

FrederikS wrote:They are still on Taaroa based on images from race day 1.
Interesting, wonder why the discrepancy.

Andokite
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard, raceboard, foilboard
Been thanked: 0

Postby Andokite » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:28 am

Formula Kite World Championships are taking place right now in China and the following riders have chosen BANGA:

Axel Mazzella
Maxime Nocher
Julien Kerneur
Mario Calbucci
Elena Kalinina

On the other side, we have the Mike's Lab fleet:

Nico Parlier
Rikki Leccesse
Daniela Moroz

Right now, Banga and Mike's Lab seem to be the fastest foils.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:52 am

Banga took my attention because of very solid construction. It could be the fast production foil unless Mike Labs switches from custom to production. So cool to see such trends shit multiple times per season! Not so cool to spend pile of cash on so short term trend.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:42 am

WH Lithuania wrote:Banga took my attention because of very solid construction. It could be the fast production foil unless Mike Labs switches from custom to production. So cool to see such trends shit multiple times per season! Not so cool to spend pile of cash on so short term trend.
Formula Kite requires use of production gear, so technically none of it is custom. I'd be willing to guess that ML is faster in heavy air and Banga in light.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:58 am

Mossy 757 wrote:
WH Lithuania wrote:Banga took my attention because of very solid construction. It could be the fast production foil unless Mike Labs switches from custom to production. So cool to see such trends shit multiple times per season! Not so cool to spend pile of cash on so short term trend.
Formula Kite requires use of production gear, so technically none of it is custom. I'd be willing to guess that ML is faster in heavy air and Banga in light.
By production I mean something off the shelf. Some competitions needs registered gear, but most of it are Open.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:32 pm

WH Lithuania wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:
WH Lithuania wrote:Banga took my attention because of very solid construction. It could be the fast production foil unless Mike Labs switches from custom to production. So cool to see suchc trends shit multiple times per season! Not so cool to spend pile of cash on so short term trend.
By production I mean something off the shelf. Some competitions needs registered gear, but most of it are Open.
Right, but my point is that the Formula Kite class (which is the event going on in China right now) requires registered production gear, and both ML and Banga are considered off the shelf production equipment...technically. The requirements state that the manufacturer must have produced at least 10 units with unique serial numbers by the annual registration date for equipment. In reality, the IKA has allowed people to miss that date and has issued 3 revisions to the gear list since the date they initially advertised as the final equipment registration date. I'm not sure if Banga and ML made the original cut that was advertised previously, but nevertheless they're both registered as of the document posted on the 23rd of August.

The question is, are these guys all switching to Banga because it's better than what they were previously using or because Banga had enough inventory on hand to support a big sponsorship deal; this might be because most of the gear those guys rode in Mauritius likely doesn't meet measurement rules for the Formula Kite format and in order to compete in this event they needed class-legal gear.

A good example of manufacturing volume driving podium positions is Ozone. The R1V2 is great, but is it really the best kite on the market? Probably not, but since they have the manufacturing capacity to hand out probably hundreds of cheap or free kites to their team, everyone adopted it because they know that if they blow out their gear they can get a replacement. You can't say that about F-One right now unless you're in the top 3 of their sponsored riders, and you really can't say that about Elf since they're much more of a boutique kite shop. Flysurfer is the only other brand that can compete with volume and their kites just haven't been as fast due largely to compromises made for durability. So you artificially see lots of Ozones on the top of the charts because they're a more reliable brand to commit yourself to if you're looking to get sponsored. And they happen to make bang-up good gear, so it's a win win for racers, but if Elf had triple the kites on hand and enough of a non-racing base to justify more sponsorship, they'd like be on top as well. I think this is must be happening to a certain extent with foil manufacturers...anecdotal reports indicate that Mike is actually rejecting requests for foils trying to keep pace with his team riders pending a bulk manufacturing arrangement in Asia.

I know Axel and Maxime are likely frustrated by their consistent losses to Nico and Johnny as well, both were on Taaroa foils in Mauritius despite what the equipment list said about them riding the F-One gear. Is Banga the answer to that or just a stop-gap for this regulated regatta until they get back on their proto Swords and/or F-Ones?

That's what I'm trying to figure out before getting excited about the latest and greatest "next generation" of race foils.
Last edited by Mossy 757 on Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Banga sent me their updated price list this morning and it is quite competitive!

According to some sources, the banga foil is really REALLY stiff and very light!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:46 pm

Tone wrote:Banga sent me their updated price list this morning and it is quite competitive!

According to some sources, the banga foil is really REALLY stiff and very light!
That's what Jade O'Connor told me when I asked, she said the best advantage of it is handling during maneuvers, likely a result of good solid construction.

Andokite
Medium Poster
Gear: TT, surfboard, raceboard, foilboard
Been thanked: 0

Postby Andokite » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:10 pm

Yes, Banga is really fast, stiff and very user friendly, even for most weekend warriors.

Maxime Nocher, Axel Mazella and Elena Kalinina chose Banga simply because it is the fastest foil, faster than the ones from the brands that sponsor them. And they want to WIN.

p.s. Julien Kerneur has both Mike's Lab and Banga and he chose Banga for the Formula Worlds.

Return to “Hydrofoil”