airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: advice on foil

Postby airsurfer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:04 am

One of just a few videos of kite foiling at "JAWS" https://youtu.be/P16mfjIcQ9k

Just search YouTube. But honestly no video will capture the feeling of being on a wave with a foil you have to try it for yourself to get the feeling of being connected to the wave it's so different than a surfboard. It may not be as visually appealing but the sensantion is amazing.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:08 pm

plummet wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:
plummet wrote:Anybody seen video's of dudes foiling decent wave? say head high plus?

I've only ever seen vids of dudes on foils playing round in mush like this.

I'm really keen to see some.
You mean apart from tow-in surfers? What would be the point? Ride a normal board...
Yes apart from town in surfers. I want to see kitefoilers riding bigger waves.

Whats the point? Why not? I'm in a location that yields many many good wave days during the year. MANY.
So I would like an alternative experience for some of those days.
There are also days of decent swell and marginal wind. Days that on the standard board or even a monster door are marginal for. Days that going upwind is just a grovel. On those days I want the foil option to access the waves.

There's also some breaks that are a long way upwind and or down wind and its just too hard to reach them on a normal session. With the crazy upwind angles of a foil I see additional surf breaks being accessed without the need of 40-50 minutes of grovelling upwind to get to them or get back to the launch site.

Plus there's days with big lumpy faces that aren't that much fun on a normal but might be fun on a foil board? If i can turn a lumpy double head monster into a buttery smooth monster i'll expand the days of awesome wave sessions per year. That is my ultimate goal.

So.... in the mean time while i learn. I'd like to see more experienced dudes riding waves on hydrofoils.
Just make sure you video it when you do.

Definitely don't need big waves, and it looks like it'll be carnage...if the wind is low though, might be fun.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:16 am

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:21 pm

So, I have decided to sell another parachute to buy a foil. I expect to get around 1200 bucks, this will be my budget. My thought is that I will still use my kitefish for a board and I will buy an intermediate foil that focuses on lighter wind and ocean riding. I need a very durable foil as I have a tendency to be rough on gear. Thanks for the help.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:06 pm

Do-it wrote:So, I have decided to sell another parachute to buy a foil. I expect to get around 1200 bucks, this will be my budget. My thought is that I will still use my kitefish for a board and I will buy an intermediate foil that focuses on lighter wind and ocean riding. I need a very durable foil as I have a tendency to be rough on gear. Thanks for the help.
Despite you opinions on foil kites, I will offer some advice.

The Zeeko carbon is fantastic! I kinda wish I had not sold it to go to Spotz.

So fast and so stable.

Really great foil!

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:41 am

Tone wrote:
Do-it wrote:So, I have decided to sell another parachute to buy a foil. I expect to get around 1200 bucks, this will be my budget. My thought is that I will still use my kitefish for a board and I will buy an intermediate foil that focuses on lighter wind and ocean riding. I need a very durable foil as I have a tendency to be rough on gear. Thanks for the help.

So fast and so stable.

Really great foil!
Thanks Tone, I think you know the majority of the things I say are in jest. Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll own a foil :o

Are the zeeko carbons pretty durable? The flat water around here is very shallow, and im sure ill hit sand at the beach as well.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:23 am

Do-it wrote:
Tone wrote:

So fast and so stable.

Really great foil!
Thanks Tone, I think you know the majority of the things I say are in jest. Who knows, maybe in a few years I'll own a foil :o

Are the zeeko carbons pretty durable? The flat water around here is very shallow, and im sure ill hit sand at the beach as well.
Yeah the Zeeko really surprised me how heavy it is, it is BOMB proof. My spotz is SO fragile. The guy I sold my Zeeko is offering to sell it back to me after my comments and I am thinking about it!

It is SOLID carbon as opposed to the Spotz which has a wood core.

Bertrand C
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Wimereux, France
Favorite Beaches: Fuerteventura + Canary Islands / Spain
& Morocco, Maui, Cabo Verde, Brazil, Rep Dom, Rodrigues Island, Kenya, Turkey, Egypt ...
Style: strapless wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter 5.5 , 7 , 9 , 11 / BWS Noise 6 & 8m2
Cabrinha Squad & Signature 5'11, Skillit 5'0
Alaia
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bertrand C » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Hi All,
What about the SLINGSHOT Hover Glide NF2 Foil 2016 ?
Is it a good Intermediary level compromise or will I get stuck early on ?
Many thks in advance

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mig27 » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:29 pm

Tone wrote: Yeah the Zeeko really surprised me how heavy it is, it is BOMB proof. My spotz is SO fragile. The guy I sold my Zeeko is offering to sell it back to me after my comments and I am thinking about it!
I just received my carbon free ride foil + racewing from Zeeko. The foil complete (without board) is 2,9kg.
It is quite comparable in weight with a Moses or Levitaz HF.

Before this I had the Zeeko Makaira carbon foil from 2014, and although more heavy it was bombproof on our sandy bottom!

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:45 pm

I just received my carbon free ride foil + racewing from Zeeko. The foil complete (without board) is 2,9kg.
It is quite comparable in weight with a Moses or Levitaz HF.
Before this I had the Zeeko Makaira carbon foil from 2014, and although more heavy it was bombproof on our sandy bottom!
It would be nice if you could write down a comparison between the Makaira and a new Zeeko carbon foil, after you will be able to test it.
Thank you!

Return to “Hydrofoil”