Local Beach: Amsterdam, Zandvoort
Style: Hydrofoil + big air
Gear: Cabrinha, MHL Lift
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Riding upwind toeside on foil

Postby palmbeacher » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:32 pm

I am carving to toeside without much effort now, but it is harder to go upwind while on toeside. Any tips on how to?

Thanks!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Riding upwind toeside on foil

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:26 pm

palmbeacher wrote:I am carving to toeside without much effort now, but it is harder to go upwind while on toeside. Any tips on how to?

Thanks!
I think it is precisely like on waveboards, you can not go as high upwind on your toeside - some who are really skilled and flexible might, but it is not as natural, so always a bit of a trade off.

But with a hydrofoil you go so much upwind that even if you lower the angle a bit when on toeside, you still go upwind at least :rollgrin:

I also go a bit lower upwind on toeside, and dont know any tricks to better this, apart from practice as it gets a lot better with time.
Your first problem toeside is often the kite runs away with you, thus you get pulled downwind, so you have to fly the kite up higher to avoid getting overpowered so you can head up again.
Not very good for upwind angle at all...

I think it is just time and practice and it gets a lot better, almost as good as toeside but not fully I would say.

8) Peter

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:14 pm

Try to bring your kite low. You cannot go upwind very well when your kite is high in the sky.
:wink:

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer
Been thanked: 0

Postby Jzh_perth » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:03 am

The technique is the same as you would use on a surfboard (not TT).

I prefer to take my back foot out of the strap and place it in closer to the upwind rail, in front of the rear strap. This helps keep your weight forward.

As you point upwind, don't be afraid to really lean into it and crank the board over - exactly as you would if you were in your regular stance. You will be surprised about how much you can load the foil, and how much power you can hold down if you commit.

As you transition from the turn (downwind) and continue to turn upwind, there will be a LOT of pull from the kite as it accelerates to the edge of the window. Be prepared for this. But once the kite is parked there is very little pull and you can truck upwind happily !

( For me the next turn - from toe side to heel side is the most fun - rip into it and pretend you are John John Florence hitting the lip !!!! )

LONG
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: FLYSURFER
Has thanked: 0

Postby LONG » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:57 am

Using a harness with a sliding rope or similar helps.
Anyway if your upwind angle is not as good as in your normal stance, your waist and knees thank a lot.... :D

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo / Stringy Foil / Slingshot Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:12 am

agree with the above, in particular the sliding rope.

I have wave kites (BWS) that fly pretty deep in the window. Sometimes toeside on foil, angling hard to get as upwind as possible, it almost feels like the pulling point of the kite is behind me. When this happens, I don't know if it would even possible with a fixed hook.

Agree too that it's maybe 60-70% as efficient upwind as heelside -- which is still decent upwind compared to other boards.

Return to “Hydrofoil”