andrepen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Buzios, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Hydrofoil 120km Downwinder

Postby andrepen » Fri Sep 09, 2016 12:03 pm

We are used to do long downwinders on northeast Brazil, this time we tried with a hydrofoil:

http://www.surfinsemfim.com.br/news/dow ... rofoil_eng

Not easy!

Cheers

Andre

Icharus
Medium Poster
Gear: foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil 120km Downwinder

Postby Icharus » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Nice - hitting the lines from lobster creels (pots) is my nemesis on downwinders/upwinders - you are going so fast and there is so much to think about especially in rough seas- My brain often struggles to pick a side to pass on - I need to get better at jumping in order to safely clear them.

I am considering some big trips but what to do about safety is an issue - i have even considered a spare kite and bar might be an option

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:37 pm

Wow, what an adventure. I love downwinding on foil, the silent carving....but 120km is about 110km more than I'd be comfortable with at this point. :D

I am still low-level intermediate, and find it is quite tiring on legs compared to surfboard. Joint pain alone would end it for me. :oops: Also find it interesting to control speed when downwinding.....if overpowered get going too fast, but if underpowered the kite can't drift fast enough and may backstall (and I have the best drifting wave kites out there). I bet you had some active kite flying to keep things working right.

Around here, bull kelp is the enemy. Big patches are easy to see, but a few lone strands can hide under the water, especially when visibility is poor. A quick stop and unplanned eject results.

That is scary story about missing knife....no joke, wrapped in net, things going sour from there, that could be how you die. <shudder> I keep hearing the same story from buddies, when the S**T hits the fan, "oops, forgot my knife / it fell out / blade rusted out". Call me a safety nerd, but I'd have 2 knives on a trip like this, one in harness, one mounted somewhere in reach of your head/neck/shoulders, for if you're too wrapped up to reach your harness.

Next trip: find a GPS watch! That would be an awesome track to have recorded.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi Andre,

very nice one, thanks for sharing. :thumb:

Also wind from 10 - 30 knts is something.

Till know I have just done 15 km one line and 90 km in total but not in open ocean with 30 knts. Didn't you have any problems with your neck, which I had after looking for 10 km over the same shoulder?
On my small trips it helped a lot to ride sometimes sitting, which can be very controlled (already started doing the first flying tacks sitting :D ), but I use a board-foil setup with nearly 1,20 m from board surface to frontwing which gives me a lot of space for my legs while sitting.

I also want to try some longer trips but I am looking for more interesting lines within big lakes with narrows between islands and more technical parts.
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 37#p930037
Already training a lot at the narrows in my lakes, it is incredible which Lees and narrows you can pass with a foil.
http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 27#p940527

Would also be interested to hear how you prepared for example the equipment you had in your bag and so on.

Thanks, Bernd :)

Return to “Hydrofoil”