Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Drone foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Drone foiling?

Postby BWD » Fri May 17, 2019 2:06 am

The problem with drones is the sound, I dont want to surf while the sound reminds me of a bad day at the dentist. Also wind often blows all day, better than 20 minutes or so...

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Fri May 17, 2019 2:21 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 1:51 am
Point taken, deniska. But I'm still not convinced that a drone capable of pulling a foil needs to cost more than an efoil.

My cost comparison comment responded to this one from "tk":
tkaraszewski wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 1:14 am
I see zero reason to do this over buying an efoil.
A second reason to drone-foil as shown in the second video could be the relative advantage of not having a dormant motor on the back of your foil when foil-surfing. The second video shows a tow-in that allows the foiler to ride the waves without power assist. My guess is that an efoil wouldn't do as well motoring out and then riding the waves back in without e-power. The dormant motor would probably disrupt the foil's performance on the ride back in. Seems like another advantage for the drone. Maybe someone with efoil-wave experience could comment.

A third reason to drone-foil is that it's something different. To each his own. If those like "tk" think that the efoil delivers the goods, that's fine. But I don't see anything wrong with trying something new and different......just because it's new and different. Variety seems to be enjoyable for most kiteboarders. :thumb:

you can get that Freefly Systems ALTA UAV for around $4000 usd on amazon....it has a (camera)payload of ability of 18 kg

if money is less of an object... the Griff GUARDIAN has a payload capability of....200kg. (yup)
...which would redefine the entire meaning to "boosting".
The Guardian can fly for about 30 minutes, is water resistant and is designed to carry advanced optical systems for law enforcement and other safety observation duties.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri May 17, 2019 3:47 am

I’d pay $400 for a drone that would pick Foil and me up and take outside shore break.
It could then go back and wait.

Return to “Hydrofoil”