Favorite Beaches: long bay tci
Gear: ..
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Which small kite ?

Postby elguapo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:04 pm

gl wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:15 pm
Elgaupo, I find just the opposite regarding the 4.5 Wave in gusts. My session today was very gusty and I had no problems with the kite. Maybe your gusty wind in different than mine. Today I had lulls to about 15 knots then gusting close to 25. Once it hit the high end I had to point high on the foil and depower the kite. I had no significant surging and drop backs like some of my other kites. Quite calm other than power went up significantly. I do agree about the high end. On the foil approaching 30 knots I would much rather be on a smaller kite.
my issue is the waves (all sizes i used) want to lose internal pressure and form a taco(almost like bird flapping wings) during lulls in winds...
when the kite regains form.. it will either be somewhere else or ever worse... it will pull unexpectedly. (which is why i said i have to pay attention to kite)

i'm aware CA waves have their cult following and these little idiosyncrasies of the kite are a complete non-issue to most users (and prolly my expectations for a low aspect parafoil kite were unrealistic)

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:31 am

Ok I did have that happen a couple of times in big lulls and it did pull a bit harder till it moved to the edge of the window. You are right does not bother me at all and am a big fan of the kites. Thanks for the explanation.

merl
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Gear: RL kitefoil
Newind split wave

CA Pulsion 12m
FS Peak 4 5m
Gong strutted 9m
Slingshot SST 7m
Gong strutwave 5m
OR Razor 4m

Postby merl » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:42 am

This is relevant to the discussion of the wave 4.5. Last month, in the space of a week I tried a couple of small kites an older an older OR razor 4m and a wave 4.5 (I own both). I realise that these are not for the same wind range but the comparison was interesting for me.

The first was an older OR razor 4m. I tried, without success, on a foil (wind too strong and onshore, could not control the on-off power of the kite) then switched to a surfboard (a bit underpowered). What I noticed with this kite was that it deformed quite badly from time to time (I am over 90kg) but that the speed and power spike from moving the kite fast were really unpleasant. In one session I could not get used to the kite speed so as to be able to control the power spikes. Basically I decided that I would not use the kite with a surfboard again.

A week later I was on the Wave 4.5 for the first time foiling in very gusty conditions. I noticed that the kite is very active in the sky and after extreme gusts it can indeed clap. I was not expecting this, but the thing that surprised me is how well behaved it is when it recovers (and it recovers very fast). I did not experience any extreme explosion of power, so I could largely ignore this when it happened. Overall the feeling is that the kite has a quite manageable speed and feels very safe even in what felt like very gusty conditions (varying 20-30 knots I would estimate).

drsurf
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever i sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 pm

Try a 3m Peak4 especially if you're on a surf foil. If you're really heavy maybe the 4m. So easy to keep in the air even in extreme conditions like being wacked by a wave downwind towards the kite. So different to other kites, fantastic power and depower for its size as well as being inexpensive.
My Peak4 3m & 5m has made me reconsider the rest of my quiver for foiling with a surf foil. Just can't get enough of that sweet Peak4 :thumb:

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:21 pm

drsurf wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:44 pm
Try a 3m Peak4 especially if you're on a surf foil. If you're really heavy maybe the 4m. So easy to keep in the air even in extreme conditions like being wacked by a wave downwind towards the kite. So different to other kites, fantastic power and depower for its size as well as being inexpensive.
My Peak4 3m & 5m has made me reconsider the rest of my quiver for foiling with a surf foil. Just can't get enough of that sweet Peak4 :thumb:
agree 100%

i was a CA wave kool-aid drinker until i started foiling on a peak4 out in the waves/swell.
..the peak4 completely ruined me for foiling with a CA wave. (i may have never used my 4.5 wave again afterwards)
the peak4 sits sooo deep in window.. literally as long as some line tension is kept you literally dont have to even think about it.. it is just there waiting for whenever you need it.

while the 3m is awesome..
3m wind= washing maching waves that can get pretty mean looking.
if u get rolled while riding goofy/toeside..there is good chance the foil will find the lines. and a peak4 just dont like being under water.
(which is always a bummer...especially when u know there is a train of breakers coming to smash you if you dont get the heck outta there pronto)

while i trust a peak4 in clean swell.. i have had some hesitation going out in the gnarly stuff.
but winter is coming. (and the bigger swell that come with it)
so we'll see..

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:48 pm

Moved to peak4 thread

Tony
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil * Wave
Gear: Airush Wave 5/7/9 Ultra 10
Ketos Pocket 130 * 1200V2 Kool
Firewire Vader
LF Galaxy Foilboard *ForSale

Postby Tony » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:54 pm

All good feedback and obvious to see that everyone has their favorites/preferences. My take is that there are a lot of different conditions and preferences, and no perfect kite for all of them. There will be compromises so what attributes are important and which ones are acceptable compromises.
I'm looking for a high wind (25-30kn, plus a bit?) kite for the foil at 80kg+. Not in the surf on the foil at this point and given the typical

Since the wind will be gustier in this range an LEI will be punchy.
Kind of curious about all the cloud recommendations, I know people are flying these in high winds but what makes them different from other (strutted) LEI's. I rode C2'a for a while and liked them, mostly, but the range was pretty narrow and if you dropped them in the surf it was game over. Have no experience with D's or E's.
What winds are people riding with the 2.8 D0? Happy with it in high (gusty) winds?

Maybe a foil of some kind is a better choice?? For me a foil is not great for our mostly tight and messy launches but more of an issue landing than launching and maybe an acceptable compromise.
I'm not comfortable going Peak4 as easy as they seem to be to keep in the air, shit still happens.
I did not mind the CA-Wave behavior reported here and it definitely smooths out the gusts.
Am curious to try the Firefly, maybe a good option, sort of a Peak4 with relaunch. Might have a chance to demo the Firefly soon.

I have no affiliations, just looking for the best option for me.

geokite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Firewire, SS, Lift, Gin, Kitech, Switch

Postby geokite » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:43 pm

Just a heads up, Switch is still having a sale and they still have the 3m and 4m size of the element in stock. I've been really happy with the 4m and 5m, and have the 3m also.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:45 pm

philemonfilou wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:45 pm
Hi
i try my CA wave 4.5m in 33 to 43 kts, launching safe and nice, riding safe but i try nothing crazy...
i just buy the 3m and a friend buy the 2.3m...waiting to find the limit..

you brought up a good point...on the short lines (12-13m)
i always used longer lines (28-30m) on waves primarily because...well no reason just because i like longer lines.

i have used flysurfer souls and VMGs on those line lengths...but i never gave a thought to try it on a wave kite. i can see how with the short lines can push the upper limit of a 4.5 wave to 40+.

..and i'm guessing with short lines would also the smooth out the quirks that you get when the kite is has 30m of line to play with.
(interesting)

IS there a recommended line length for CA Waves?

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil

Postby marekmk » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:33 am

ozone uno 4m so much fun, yes from 15 knots, super fast, great float, huge depower range................

Return to “Hydrofoil”