Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Monofoil or "riding stabless", setup and riding

Postby ulx » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Had da great ride today! I am still pretty stoked ;-) What a great feeling.

As advised, I put the SS Space Skate wing in front of the mast (90 cm) and put the foil as far back in the board as possible. It felt great like that! With the big wing it was not that hard, too. The wind was so light that it was hard to keep the 10m SST in the air at times. But that was ok because the big wing needs so little pull to get into foiling.

I ignored the thing about starting with a bigger strapped board. I took my strapless SS Micro (which is 1,07 m long with 11 liters) and used my 17m lines.

I found the riding very refreshing. So great that kiting offers new possibilities again and again!

I found jibes and tacks (without switching feet during the maneuver) not that hard in today´s conditions but switching feet is something else! I am very curious how long it will take to feel comfortable doing that.

From what I experienced today, stabless is really nice for flat water riding. Maybe for small, choppy waves as well? But I guess as soon as you want to ride bigger waves it´s back to riding with a stab. Can anybody confirm that yet?

Thanks again guys for giving the direction! It made my first stabless session very enjoyable.

Last edited by ulx on Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:53 pm

:thumb:

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:47 pm

Finally had two days average 10 knts on 7 m ozone hyperlink to compare three wings, the first wing I made I modified to have some minor reflex and changed from flat bottom to semi semetrical, this improved pitch stability.
The second wing with reflex I did not change and is still best all around.
The third ( new ) wing is semi semetrical, thinner profile with typical reflex for airplane wing and slightly flatter tips, it has more rounded leading edge outline and tips further back from root @ trailing edge. this one is the most fun to ride at slower/mid speed and is faster but is harder to ride fast, it feels most "surfy".
I also made 90 x 43 lightweight board, this board is easier to control pitch and very fun to ride but also almost impossible to switch feet on, it has mind of its own in the moment of unweighted to switch feet.
Total weight of board and foil 3.74 kg

On this board I have total failure to ride rodeo, on 120 x 42 board I still have not achieved more than approx 40 to 50 meters but haven't tried too much yet.
@ Horst ,. I am very interested in the result of your adjustable fuselage, it is my feeling different positions of wing to strut is important but very difficult for me to test .
Storms are back again so no kiting for several days☹️
Attachments
20190304_082546.jpg
20190304_082525.jpg
20190304_081043.jpg
20190304_082514.jpg
20190304_081217.jpg

Øyvind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Najomtien, Thailand
Favorite Beaches: Najomtien, Thailand
Style: hydrofoil
Gear: BRM kites, Kanaha board & Ketos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Øyvind » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:40 am

Some more experimenting:
These users thanked the author Øyvind for the post (total 2):
Horst Sergio (Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:37 pm) • revhed (Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:32 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:13 pm

Prediction: Øyvind, Kai and Horst will eventually learn to fly. Like birds. Probably Greg D also.
Hopefully they will teach the rest of us.

jjjlaudenslager
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none any more
Favorite Beaches: South Padre Island
Style: kitesurfing
Gear: Naish Ride 8m
many various boards

Postby jjjlaudenslager » Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:28 am

Oyvind please, please keep experimenting. A fuselage and stab are a total nuisance when we are transporting our foils and when we are tangled up with them in the water. Maybe it is you that can find a mounting position for the wing, and a size and shape of wing, that lets most of us do without the fuselage and stab.

jaros
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jaros » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:31 am

Øyvind :thumb:
I knew you are from another world. Without Kryptonite on earth, i am sure you could just remove the wing and strut also, and fly just fine with the board only...
Respect!!!
These users thanked the author jaros for the post:
Peter_Frank (Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:23 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:53 pm

Hi Øyvind,

thanks for experimenting :thumb: , to me it still sounds to stay with strut back for higher Speeds, but I have my setup nearly ready and will try the strut over wing as well in the next time.

Even the design of my new board (build by Michele from GROOVE) has respected an optional even more forward strut position:
Kitejunkie-Groove-micro-Monofoil.jpg
@BWD: I am allready flying, unfortunately not like a bird, but more like a sandsack under a paraglider :oops:. When I felt the first feathers growing on my body, it shows up to be just more fur :D .

But will keep you up to date anyway, about monofoiling, … not the fur. :wink:

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:00 pm

Can you pump a monofoil? Could you foil surf one and pump back out to the next wave?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:11 pm

@ulx:
Good to hear :thumb: . Hoped, but didn't expect more and more people switching. About wave just very low experience as most time riding mountain lakes, but the few tries I had in moderate wave have been difficult but a adrenalin blast so hope to find more waves to try with different wings sizes. And about learning:
For example Mischa from www.kitejunkie.com has turned to just monofoiling since a few month, and now doing very well with flying tacks etc.

@Denisesewa:
Sorry actually pretty busy why thinks take longer, but as seen gear is 95% prepared and when I hopefully find more time next month I will try all strut to wing positions in 4 cm steps and will tell what was the optimum for different needs.

@Øyvind:
With your setup we are pretty close to something symetrical you could call twintip foil. Would be interesting to see if it is possible to ride it backwards, will try it myself, but would bet on you to become successful first. :D

@Jyoder:
Started first try pumping a bit 3 years ago but as since then practically just riding monofoils, I didn't find the time to learn pumping well on a stabifoil yet. On a monofoil to me it feels like (close to) impossible. But thought the same about sit foiling which Denisesewa said that he allready had some success with his improved wings. So let's see. Myself going first try to learn it on my convertible stabifoil as shown on page 15 with big wings and then try again on mono.

Return to “Hydrofoil”