A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
eabmoto
Rare Poster
Gear: BWS kites
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pros and Cons of learning strapless

Postby eabmoto » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:31 pm

For anyone that would prefer to go strapless, there's no reason not to start that way. It adds 30-60 min in the beginning, maybe, to figure out how to hold the board and dive the kite, it's not hard. After that I much preferred getting away from the board when things went wrong and being able to place my feet where it worked best.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flag53 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:59 pm

It's very encouraging to know that there are lots of like minded people out there who prefer the " No Strap " option

Thanks for all the replies guys :-)

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:17 pm

I also started out straight away without straps!
Within 45 minutes (too low wind for my kite-size...) I could ride upwind.

Nevertheless I have to admit after my 30th hour on the foil that with at least a single front-strap the learning curve would be a bit better, in despite the higher risk of trauma.

Pro's of learning strapped:
- It helps in the low-end: both hands on the bar to keep the kite flying
- It helps staying on the board in rough sea conditions, where - especially with a shorter mast - you will hit waves with the bottom of your board
- It makes handling the board in the water a bit easier

Downsides of learning strapped:
- you will learn how to ride a hydrofoil better strapless, since you cannot compensate any balance errors by pulling the board up :wink:

I will continue to ride strapless, but sometimes in difficult (low-wind) situations I am thinking off adding one :P

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:21 pm

I agree with you , and just add that I would also recommend to keep one trap at least to learn water start and be able to ride board on the water without falling; indeed at this stage (before foil-up), the limited speed is no big risk of serious injury in the strap), while the easier waterstart will save you time, fatigue and motivation to keep strength for the following foil-up phase, strapless :jump: .

I felt the same for light wind, but now finally it does not change much if you run a uploop to waterstart in marginal winds, keeping your back hand on the board up to the first 90 degree of the kite and then driving the kite normally with two hands. As said PF if I remember well, a thin board should help a lot (which is maybe why I finally feel it is not harder strapless even in light winds...);

On the contrary , waterstarting with foil at 45 degree from vertical is (a bit) harder strapless.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)

Postby mig27 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Regis-de-giens wrote:...On the contrary , waterstarting with foil at 45 degree from vertical is (a bit) harder strapless.
I switched hydrofoil (way to early for my current stage of development :P) two weeks ago.

What I found out that with my previous foil I kept the mast parallel to the water surface.
Since the flat mast creates drag in the water while sinking, there is a notable delay.

Now I have a longer mast and more lightweight hydrofoil, I found out it sinks much slower.
The result is coming on the hydrofoil around 40-45 degrees. And that is hard strapless to correct.

So for each specific hydrofoil the "sinking time" strapless is an important factor to keep track of.

In the low-end this can be quite a pain!

foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites

Postby foam-n-fibre » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:21 am

I first tried a hydrofoil from a friend last year in underpowered big kite conditions. It had straps and I took some weird falls and nearly broke my ankles twice in 30 minutes, so I decided no straps for me and called that session quits. Fast forward to this fall and I have a foil that I built and rode behind a boat on a bigger board to get the feel. I went to use the thing strapless last week, but with inconsistent wind, I found the board handling and positioning was pretty tricky. wind dies so that was the end of that with no real rides So, I made some foot hooks and just finished a session with them. They are great. I can throw my board on its side and position it with my feet. If the wind is weird or inconsistent, I can wait with the board parked on its rail with no issues. Best of all I took various types of fall, but the feet easily slide twist or roll out, so no ankle issues. If you have inconsistent winds (what i call real world conditions) or rougher water then the hooks are great and might be of more value.

I made the foot hooks with grey ABS tubing. The kind they sell for electrical conduit for a couple bucks. If you slowly heat that with a heat gun it goes soft and you can bend it and shape it. It screws to the board with 2 screws 2" apart, both screws are forward of the front foot (and anther 2 behind the rear foot) So, it is flat on the board ahead of the foot, then slopes up at about 60 degrees, then bends to level and extends back further over top of the foot. I was worried it might not be strong enough so jammed some high density foam into the bends in it and poured in some epoxy. Each end was clamped flat when hot. I wrapped it with some thin deck pad material (with contact cement) and a cover from a windsurfer footstrap. It flexed some when I fell too, but survived day one. I guess you need to install the right inserts into the board if there are not inserts in the right place for this.

Peter

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo

Postby Rakky » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi there. Great topic
I am just getting into foiling - and have been riding strapless surfboards
How do you position the strapless foil board in the water for starting, i.e., if I want to go right, do I hold the bar with the right hand, and board at 45degrees with the left? or, leave the board in the water, push with the feet (like starting strapless surfboard), and both hands on the bar??

Thanks for any replies

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:28 pm

Indeed the left hand should hold the board. 90 degree in my case (mast parallel to the sea surface with my low volume board). As soon as you pull on right hand to move your kite and waterstart, you can put but both hands on the bar to actually water start.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:46 pm

Rakky wrote:Hi there. Great topic
I am just getting into foiling - and have been riding strapless surfboards
How do you position the strapless foil board in the water for starting, i.e., if I want to go right, do I hold the bar with the right hand, and board at 45degrees with the left? or, leave the board in the water, push with the feet (like starting strapless surfboard), and both hands on the bar??

Thanks for any replies
Yes, you hold the foil tilted up with your rear hand on the edge of the board, so it is tilted almost fully on its side.

Then you let go with your rear hand while you dive the kite and grab with your rear hand on the bar too - THIS timing is what takes a lot of time to learn for many, without straps.

You can not push the edge down like we do on surfboards, that wont work whatsoever :cry:

When having straps, you can keep the board tilted on its side relaxed and for as long as you like, while you learn the basics and timing - this is why it is way easier :thumb:
But as soon as you got the timing right, you will soon be fine without :naughty:

8) PF

Rakky
Medium Poster
Gear: North Neo

Postby Rakky » Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:24 pm

Thank you for the answers

Return to “Hydrofoil”