Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Pros and Cons of learning strapless

Postby salvino » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Interesting point is this is foil type dependent.

I started with SS Hoverglide aluminum and as it is heavy, the timing of letting go and diving kite had to be critical. I was strapless and this did take awhile.

Now I'm on Lift carbon which as is much lighter it has a much slower sink rate. Timing is different. Not as critical and board can be angled more toward 45' off wind.

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Pros and Cons of learning strapless

Postby geopeck » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:24 pm

How do you position the strapless foil board in the water for starting, i.e., if I want to go right, do I hold the bar with the right hand, and board at 45degrees with the left? or, leave the board in the water, push with the feet (like starting strapless surfboard), and both hands on the bar??
I've been using my dominant hand to steer the kite for starts in either direction, maybe using such a smaller kite means that the powerstroke puts your weight vertical faster and lets you get the other hand on the bar to correct your powerstroke or for a second powerstroke to gain momentum if needed, which you might not have time for with a kite that was traditionally correct for the wind speed.

Generally the first 15-20 meters of riding can be similar to being very underpowered on a TT or directional, and on the second or third sine there can be a downwind scoop with the board and lift the feet and then the foil engages.

The smaller kite in light winds is it's own separate part of the learning experience - feels very untrustworthy at first but you can put it where you need it very quickly.

All my waterstarts since about the second one have been using one foot and one knee to brace the board with the foil at the surface, as the kite is diving the knee gets replaced by a foot. It makes it easy to hold and position the board and puts the body weight very low over the board for getting vertical.
Now I'm on Lift carbon which as is much lighter it has a much slower sink rate.
I didn't think about that, very relevant. I always feel like I have plenty of time before my Lift goes past the angle of being unable to brace against and bet it would have been harder with a heavy foil.

In the big picture, with my lighter foil, starts were the aspect I was most worried about but found very easy as soon as I started trying (unless tired, then they fall apart). If the body weight can get mostly over the board, then low or no speed isn't an issue because the small kite can zing around and provide bracing and little tugs on demand. Also the foil start to provide a little lift and channeling of energy even at low speeds. The hard part was learning the angle of no return between the body and foil, keeping the foil down until ready, keeping the wing in the water, relearning weight distribution, new angles etc. I don't think straps help for most of that.

Return to “Hydrofoil”