Gear: NRG 6,8,10,12,14
Ozone 17
Straplees directional, airush sector, spleen directional and spotz 2 foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which inflatable do you find best for Hydro foiloing

Postby windwatcher » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi Guys, I just started hydro foiling and I'm not super happy with my NRGs preform in lighter wind for foiling. I'm on an inland lake so the wind is up and down. When it's down they tend to back stall and fold(Lots of pushing the bar out). I know gusty conditions aren't idea for foiling. So what your favorite inflatable for light wind foiling or just plain foiling? Thanks

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Re: Which inflatable do you find best for Hydro foiloing

Postby tmcfarla » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:23 pm

I'm a beginner on hydrofoil, maybe 15-20 days on the water, a little bit of toe-side riding and occasionally can stay on the foil through turns. The kites I have are Best TS 7m and 9m, Best Cabo 6m, and BRM Cloud (c2) 9m and 12m. Because these are different sizes, a true comparison doesn't really work, but I'll try. For under-powered, the cloud is really wonderful, probably the best feeling I've ever had on a kite. The drift and speed of turns is just amazing, it is the only kite I have that delivers that feeling of perfect weightlessness on a foil. However, I dislike being over-powered on clouds, as the kite really wants to go to 9 o'clock instead of staying at 11/1. I'm also not crazy about their relaunch- it usually works great but sometime it takes a long time. Best Cabo is really nice at the higher end of its range, and its low-end is also impressive, all in all a really nice kite and very easy to use, but can't speak for larger sizes. When conditions are just right, the cloud is more fun, but the Cabo is so convenient and user-friendly. The TS can be fun, but I don't use it on a foil much because the low-end is really bad and drift isn't great. I do like how it keeps power in turns the way the others don't.

If I had to limit myself to a single type of kite, it would be a toss-up between the Clouds and the Cabo (or really, any other normal surf kite). The clouds are kind of a hassle, but when they are good, they are so good. I expect my preferences will change as I progress. One of the best foiler at my beach is on a North Vegas.

Ulrik
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride, Hydrofoil,Waveriding
Gear: Shinn BronQ CRB4
Groove Skate 130,
Nobile Kite skim
Zeeko Alufoil
Kitech FreeRS
Naish Pivot

Postby Ulrik » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:55 pm

I love my Flysurfer Boost 9m. It gets me going from 10knots (84kg), super easy relaunch, very good upwind performance, turns quite fast, and drifts well.
Last edited by Ulrik on Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:16 pm

windwatcher wrote:Hi Guys, I just started hydro foiling and I'm not super happy with my NRGs preform in lighter wind for foiling. I'm on an inland lake so the wind is up and down. When it's down they tend to back stall and fold(Lots of pushing the bar out). I know gusty conditions aren't idea for foiling. So what your favorite inflatable for light wind foiling or just plain foiling? Thanks
For "plain" foiling, my favorites are definitely wavekites.

Fast turning, good drift, and max depower :thumb:

Use Takoon Furia's myself.

For lighter winds it is A LOT different, and wavekites dont work...

Light LEI kites with good depower are my choices when sub 10 knots, except for the most marginal winds of course (5-7 knots) where you need something more powerful.

A 12m2 Zeeko Notus Air (1 strut) is what I use from 7 to 9 knots. And an 11m2 foilkite for 5-7 knots.
Have also tried a 12m2 Storm Voyager 2 (no strut) that performed very well, more power but not the same depower.

So in short: Above 10m2, meaning less than 10 knots, I prefer lighter LEI kites like Zeeko Noturs Air, Storm Voyager II, and probably the BM Cloud eventhough I havent tried it :naughty:

From 10 knots and up, weight does not matter, as long as it has good depower and drifts well, IMO.

8) Peter

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m and 14m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT

Postby BOEMIX » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:31 pm

In light wind my favourite is my Ozone Edge 13. It needs active flying in marginal conditions, but once foiling, u can go so deep downwind/upwind.

Actually u have nearly foil kite performace with inflatable safety.

Only flaw edge has is that's difficult to relaunch, but it's a kite that always want to fly and don't tend to backstall.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:34 pm

BOEMIX wrote:In light wind my favourite is my Ozone Edge 13. It needs active flying in marginal conditions, but once foiling, u can go so deep downwind/upwind.

Actually u have nearly foil kite performace with inflatable safety.

Only flaw edge has is that's difficult to relaunch, but it's a kite that always want to fly and don't tend to backstall.
Yep - have heard many others loving this kite particularly in the 13m2 size yes :D

Relaunch ?

Hmmm, in wind less than 10 knots it is usually not possible anyways, so not an issue :roll:

8) PF

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:44 pm

In puffy light winds we have here, I prefer racing style LEI, 2013 or newever, 9m or smaller, 12m max. They are built relatively light and feel that way in hand; drift is not great, but reasonable in some models. They excell in apparent wind riding - lower drag=higher speed and have good depower - pull more forward. Good for jumps/hang time. Lighter bar pressure. I like to use as small of a kite as conditions allow and race LEI work better for me than lower AR kites. Not so great in relaunch, this might take some skills, however I do quite well with it. Examples: Edge, Boost, ASV XR, Dyno, Velocity .....
Some makes can be found lightly used for a good price now that racers ride only foil kites.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels
Wings: Cloud W1 3,4,5,6m, Duotone 7m
Boards: Naish Monarch, Naish Hover 155/110/130 Fanatic Sky Wing 5'8"
Foils: AXIS 1150/1020/1010/820 Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:04 am

tmcfarla wrote: However, I dislike being over-powered on clouds, as the kite really wants to go to 9 o'clock instead of staying at 11/1.
I had this same issue on one of my 7m Clouds and what I discovered was the rear lines on my bar were too long. Once I sorted that small problem the kite flew brilliantly in all conditions.

I have a Slingshot Hoverglide and I use my Clouds (17m -> 5.5m) in 8knots to 30 knots. Awesome turn and de-power.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:11 am

bigtone667 wrote:
tmcfarla wrote: However, I dislike being over-powered on clouds, as the kite really wants to go to 9 o'clock instead of staying at 11/1.
I had this same issue on one of my 7m Clouds and what I discovered was the rear lines on my bar were too long. Once I sorted that small problem the kite flew brilliantly in all conditions.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try shortening them next time I'm out.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 am

tmcfarla wrote:
bigtone667 wrote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll try shortening them next time I'm out.
I dont understand this at all - what precisely are we talking about here ?

One loves the kite when powered, but not when overpowered as it wont stay put when sheeted out as I understand it (most kites wont).

How should shortening the rear lines change (better) anything - it is simply a 4 lined kite ?

You will be even more over powered, and have to pull the trim even more, thus end up exactly the same - if I understand the issue correctly :roll:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”