Thecopterdr
Rare Poster
Gear: BRM Cloud, Slingshot LF2 foilboard, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which inflatable do you find best for Hydro foiloing

Postby Thecopterdr » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:03 am

BRM Clouds. 5.5, 9 and 13.5m. Nice and light, Super responsive, More depower than you know what to do with.
Everything else I have tried is just too heavy. Easy relaunch although a bit of patience is required when its really light wind.

SparD
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Local Beach: Almanarre
Gear: Foil kites : Ozone R1V3
Tube kites : Ocean Rodeo Flite
Hydrofoil : Chubanga

Postby SparD » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:42 am

Give a try to the OR Flite, you won't be deceived ! ;-)

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:34 am

I am happy with the OR Flites for foiling.

Easy relaunch, fast turning, moves forward in the window, has some drift when needed.

I use them with 27 m lines.

70 kg have Flites 7.5, 10, 12, 14.5 2015 model

I have not tried the Clouds

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Been thanked: 0

Postby herbert » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:30 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
tmcfarla wrote:
bigtone667 wrote:
I had this same issue on one of my 7m Clouds and what I discovered was the rear lines on my bar were too long. Once I sorted that small problem the kite flew brilliantly in all conditions.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try shortening them next time I'm out.
I dont understand this at all - what precisely are we talking about here ?

One loves the kite when powered, but not when overpowered as it wont stay put when sheeted out as I understand it (most kites wont).

How should shortening the rear lines change (better) anything - it is simply a 4 lined kite ?

You will be even more over powered, and have to pull the trim even more, thus end up exactly the same - if I understand the issue correctly :roll:

8) PF
Peter, I think what is really happening here is the following: When in overpowered conditions, one reflexively depowers...sheets out. As you said, most kites won't stay put when sheeted out. The Clouds move through their sheeting range (let's say over-sheeted to luffing) over a shorter throw distance than most other kites. Clouds also can depower to a greater degree than most other kites. Given those two things, when flying the Clouds and when confronted with a surge in wind, a new rider may sheet out too much, resulting in immense depower, but to the point of losing steering naturally. The rider needs to sheet in briefly, steer the kite up, and sheet out again. Also, just sheeting in 3 cm, and barely increasing the pull of the kite (and still less powered than many kites of the same size) will regain steering. But if I am flying others kites and switching to Clouds, this takes some adjustment. And your are right, it is just a four line kite...works the same as others. But if the kiter fails to make that adjustment in technique: frustration. I tell anyone riding a Cloud just to sheet in a little under that circumstance. Sometimes people have pretty fixed muscle memory and rather than fixing it by that technique just fix it by shortening the steering lines. Then the correct habit comes more easily to them. I use the radical Cloud depower often for just a second when needed to save a situation when hydrfoiling, but riders need to remember to keep the power on at least a bit to steer well. Invariably this story is what is happening when somebody rides a Cloud and finds it harder than they expect at the high wind range, whereas instead I find it amazingly tolerant of gusts.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:08 am

Hi,

It really depends what you want. I was rally happy with my Enduros for freeride foiling until the new ReoV4 came out. Now I am totally in love with the Reo as they pretty much have all the good things of the Enduros, but with mich lighter bar forces and way tighter and faster turning. This makes all the tricks so much easier. They are also really light, so they stay up in the air better and relaunch easier.

--
Gunnar

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:20 am

herbert wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:
tmcfarla wrote:
Thanks for the tip, I'll try shortening them next time I'm out.
I dont understand this at all - what precisely are we talking about here ?

One loves the kite when powered, but not when overpowered as it wont stay put when sheeted out as I understand it (most kites wont).

How should shortening the rear lines change (better) anything - it is simply a 4 lined kite ?

You will be even more over powered, and have to pull the trim even more, thus end up exactly the same - if I understand the issue correctly :roll:

8) PF
Peter, I think what is really happening here is the following: When in overpowered conditions, one reflexively depowers...sheets out. As you said, most kites won't stay put when sheeted out. The Clouds move through their sheeting range (let's say over-sheeted to luffing) over a shorter throw distance than most other kites. Clouds also can depower to a greater degree than most other kites. Given those two things, when flying the Clouds and when confronted with a surge in wind, a new rider may sheet out too much, resulting in immense depower, but to the point of losing steering naturally. The rider needs to sheet in briefly, steer the kite up, and sheet out again. Also, just sheeting in 3 cm, and barely increasing the pull of the kite (and still less powered than many kites of the same size) will regain steering. But if I am flying others kites and switching to Clouds, this takes some adjustment. And your are right, it is just a four line kite...works the same as others. But if the kiter fails to make that adjustment in technique: frustration. I tell anyone riding a Cloud just to sheet in a little under that circumstance. Sometimes people have pretty fixed muscle memory and rather than fixing it by that technique just fix it by shortening the steering lines. Then the correct habit comes more easily to them. I use the radical Cloud depower often for just a second when needed to save a situation when hydrfoiling, but riders need to remember to keep the power on at least a bit to steer well. Invariably this story is what is happening when somebody rides a Cloud and finds it harder than they expect at the high wind range, whereas instead I find it amazingly tolerant of gusts.
Hi Herbert, that is reasonable way to explain the issue. My problem was definitely related to having rear lines that were too long/stretched.
Once I adjusted the lengths the kite flew perfectly well in high and low wind conditions.

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:13 am

OR Flite for life when it comes to foiling. Ive already gotten new kites for other styles but keeping the flites for just foiling so they can last forever. Turns with the flick of the wrist and has great jumping and hangtime even in the smaller sizes. Only thing it lacks for foiling would be in the drift for hard downwind swell riding.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:33 am

gmb13 wrote:Hi,

It really depends what you want. I was rally happy with my Enduros for freeride foiling until the new ReoV4 came out. Now I am totally in love with the Reo as they pretty much have all the good things of the Enduros, but with mich lighter bar forces and way tighter and faster turning. This makes all the tricks so much easier. They are also really light, so they stay up in the air better and relaunch easier.

--
Gunnar
I was impressed with the Reo relaunch in super light wind; grabbing front and opposite rear, it just popped right up.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:37 am

2012 Rallys 8m/10m/12m/14m are golden for foiling. Lightweight, excellent relaunch (including reverse launch), great drift, fast. A bit too much bar pressure but you know where the kite is at all times. 6knots wind is good under 14m, 18knots under 8m

I used to own bunch of NRGs. Upwind is amazing, boosting is very good, relaunch is 5/10. The lightwind riding takes a light wing and NRGs are relatively heavier, so I wouldn't expect magic there. Riding on a door I used 37m lines and still could be one of the few on water in 7 knots condition under 16m NRG. But foiling wants a quick kite and for size/weight of a large NRG I wouldn't call it the best choice.

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:49 pm

Can anyone offer some more advice on this subject as at the moment my quiver is a 5/7/9/12 Vegas .
I'm new to foiling but not Kiting and for now I'm just looking at replacing the 12m for something more suitable for light winds on the foil.
The clouds look interesting but they are not available in the UK.
I like the look of the Ozone Reo but am not sure wether the 10 or 12m would be best.
I'm 86kg.

Many thanks

Return to “Hydrofoil”