Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

hydrofoiling in "normal winds"

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
max
Very Frequent Poster

Re: hydrofoiling in "normal winds"

Postby max » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:02 pm

hey Peter . . .

is the 3.5 m2 the Takoon LOG KID ? 2015 model? Could not find your colours.

It also looks like you have the rear pigtails on the fastest setting for the kite.

amazing :)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:15 pm

max wrote:hey Peter . . .

is the 3.5 m2 the Takoon LOG KID ? 2015 model? Could not find your colours.

It also looks like you have the rear pigtails on the fastest setting for the kite.

amazing :)
Yes, the Log Kid.

I could buy a blue/dark blue like (the only one) shown, but asked if there was a "brighter" colour (we all have different likings), and got a 2015 instead.

As I understand it basically the same 2015 and 16, just colours changed.

Yes, put back to the fastest setting - works fine with my normal 52cm bar, and easier to reverse the kite up.

Havent got more than these few times experience yet though, so will have to see how it works out in the long run, and looking forward to these sessions :naughty:

8) Peter

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:10 am

Just a follow up on the 3.5m2

Havent been out on hydrofoil with this baby since the first 3 times - as it is dark after work now so only possible to ride weekends :wink:

But in the weekend it was windy, and out on a waveboard with 6 and 5m2 kites - but the wind picked up so overpowered, and I took the Log 3.5 :naughty:

Awesome, worked like a dream in "normal winds" on a "normal board" with "normal lines" :rollgrin:

The sweetspot wind on a hydrofoil is 24-25 knots, and for a waveboard it is 32-33 knots, for me @77kg :thumb:

Out with the Takoon 3.5m2 :

My first session with this kite on a waveboard has ended - cool

Dont know if off topic, but I know precisely what wind works for all kitesizes, both hydrofoils and waveboards - so would just share my first experience on a "non" hydrofoil board with a small kite.
And as I think many (most) of us ride waveboards also, and for me only when wind to 7-8m2 and smaller - it is good to know where the crossing point is from waveboard to hydrofoil, as we often have to decide what to ride.
When a 5.5m2 fits on a waveboard, a 3.5 fits on a hydrofoil :D

8) PF

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:30 am

Peter_Frank wrote: ....
When a 5.5m2 fits on a waveboard, a 3.5 fits on a hydrofoil :D

8) PF
So the rule of thumb 2m smaller size for the Hfoil holds for all sizes, also for the smallest kites, right?

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:22 am

Peter_Frank wrote: When a 5.5m2 fits on a waveboard, a 3.5 fits on a hydrofoil :D

8) PF

hey Peter.

does the 3.5 have a good amount of bar pressure so you can tell where it is in the sky ?

how is it with speed? . . . not on steroids type of kite.

I have never used a kite that small . . . I have a 5m Rebel as my high wind kite and I find it to be a good kite for those times.

I have mostly been using a 2016 model 6m Neo (possibly more bottom end than most 6m's) on my Zeeko White and blue alloy since getting one a month ago and love it compared to my other kites that tended to stall more than i liked. Am able to get going on the 6m and have a good time on it when TT users are barely holding ground on their 12's. Mind you, our area is pretty well onshore breezes most of the time.

Am looking for something smaller than the 6m to use for really windy days hence my questions about the 3.5m. Great looking kite shape wise.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:18 am

Your sizes are incredibly small for the wind speeds for me Peter. We are the same weight. I think of going 6m in 20 knots on HF Then I would think 6m to around 30 knots.
For waves I would go 8m to 30 knots and 6m 30+. Even if I look at the local strapless dedicated sb riders locally non of them have a 3.5m and they regularly fly 6m, 7m and 5.5m up to and beyond 40 knots.

Do you not jump at all? is jumping completely out the picture? The kite sizes you list in the wind sizes noted would be terrible at any sort of jumping. Even when i'm doing a dedicated wave session I still want the ability to punt over big slabs of whitewash.

Then again Waves a 50% of fun for me and jumping the other 50%. So I want a kite to do both at the same time.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:50 am

This thread is 2 years old now, could be interesting to follow up how things are now?

I was out yesterday, still got my now precisely 2 years old 3.5 m2 LOG kite.

And have some newer kites 5,6,7,8,9 and also bigger for when sub 10 knots.

Recently by chance got a 2011 brand new 5 m2 Takoon Soul kite - it is higher aspect than most small kites today, but REALLY good, loving it because of its way of being able to produce peak power when you need it, or not when you dont :naughty:

Out yesterday maybe 20 knots of wind, onshore and only choppy wind waves further out - using the smallest Pocket board and a normal (790 cm2) wave wing not even the more than 50% bigger surf wing where you ride small kites.
The 3.5 m2 worked just fine :thumb:

Then wind dropped to maybe 15 or 16 knots, so took a "big" kite, the 5 m2 Soul - and rode till the sun downed, with some friends, great evening.

A 5 m2 kite is HUGE, compared to the 3.5 ha haa

Having fun

Now rigging big when the wind dropped, going out with the 5 m2 powered in the sweet spot the rest of the evening - lifes good :D

What a wonderful day

Using 27 m lines on both, @77 kg, works spot on for me particularly with the small kites.

How are you guys/girls regarding "normal winds" nowadays - especially with the "surf" wings things have changed dramatically right?

I think some are chasing fast wings and powered strapped style for jumping, and the others go for surf wings and micro kites, at least that would be my assumption - but lets hear from all of you, what you ride in "normal" winds :rollgrin:

8) PF

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:09 am

I get laughed at by everyone when I rig an 8m kite. The TT riders say it's too small, the race foilers say it's too small, the surf foilers says it's too big. Can't win :D 8m up to 20 knots then I'll TT. I'd want a 6m over 20 for sure...

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Pedro Marcos » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:38 am

I rarely rig anything under 11m now lol, and the 11m its only when its 16+ knots. If its 20+ ill go for some TT unless for some reason i get flat water.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:09 am

Foiling difficulty is more about the water conditions that the wind. You do need stupid small kites for 20+ knots. One you have the right kite for the conditions its all good.

But the winder the harder the water conditions generally. So by inference it is harder to foil in higher winds.

Return to “Hydrofoil”