Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hydrofoil in 0 Knots!

Postby NorCalNomad » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:19 am

Nah, feels fun but definitely not hydrofoil

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: chrono v2 15m, Hyperlink 9m, Catalyst 7m, enduro 10m and 14m, access 6m
Flysurfer Soul 15m.
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Shinn Ronson 138x42, King Gee 150x50, Ketos Foil freeride2 and Transformer TT
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:02 am

Foilholio!!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:54 am

This thing is a childhood dream come true. Like the hydrofoil, a true game changer.

Been Averaging about 8-10 k almost on the daily since beginning of July. Tough built and handles incredible abuse. Rips uphill. Super stable and dependable. Sand, gravel, grass, trail, broken concrete, that wheel goes over anything. Much more like snowboarding in feel, but it has a front foot heavy stance in common with kbhf. Absolutely stellar product that delivers on the claim of inventing a new board sport. I'll wear through my first wheel before the end of next season.

Very stoked with it and can't wait to see how they evolve.
image.jpeg

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:30 pm

looks very interesting and another 1500 plus dollar.........the money these days just pouring out of my account. :wink:

http://newheel.fr/site/produit/skate-el ... d-newheel/

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:58 pm

It's worth every penny. I would not mess with knock offs. The ONEWHEEL is the real deal designed and executed to real world every day all-weather commuter standards. The software alone is completely unique. Maybe in another 5 years someone else will get it right, but for now a knock off is going to be a disappointment. Reliability is very key in a product like this as you are completely dependant on its full functioning for your safety. One little short or glitch at speed and you're going down... potentially in traffic. So far mine has been cartwheeled 5-7 times on down concrete hills and hasn't said boo. Not one malfunction in 3.5 months of daily use. It's very very impressive and stands up to a high standard of board riding performance expectation. Like any board, once you get good at it, it just gets better.

Be careful at first. Most of the wipeouts happen in the first week or so. Took both my inside ankles off when the grip was fresh and I was not used to the delay before shut off when you remove a foot from the sensor. Getting off: come to a stop, lift front heel, wait. I was often too hasty in getting off and it would still be live and buck. Once you get it down you look cool as shit coming in hot to simply step off and pick it up into the beer store in one smooth motion. Tip: lift the heel off the front sensor. At first I slid my toe forward off the sensor by pivoting on the front foot heel. Not good. The pivoting began to peel up some of the grip tape after a while. Lifting the front heel to initiate shut of is better.

I've got a few new scars, but nothing major. You will too. Helmet and wrist guards are a good idea for a while. I still wear a helmet but dropped the wrist guards when I got decent at running off of it at speed. You will have a few "oh shit" moments, but before long will learn to throw your arms forward to shift weight backward in order to brake and regain control. All out speed is scary, but mid range is awesome and you can usually stay on your feet when you come off it. Lean into the toe side carved with the front toe to accelerate a bit and shift to your back foot heel side to brake a bit on heel side carves. Gives a very nice floaty powder feel when you start linking turns that way and you can slowly build up your accelerations to gain confidence at speed knowing your right there with a heel side braking carve to take the edge off. Eventually you will learn to recover from nose touch downs at speed, but all in good time.

Though its not a motorbike or anything, it goes without saying that traffic is deadly. Back streets, parks, bike paths, etc are a great way to stay alive. I rode it so hard and so often it really did take a bit of sober thought as to how I was going to survive riding one of these for the next 30 years.

Gonna go for my morning ride as soon as I finish my coffee.

Welcome to a whole new world.
Last edited by Starsky on Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:02 pm

I think Starsky is having a laugh. This is a child toy we're talking about.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:10 pm

My inner child is laughing at you right now!

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:17 pm

fogmeister wrote:looks very interesting and another 1500 plus dollar.........the money these days just pouring out of my account. :wink:

http://newheel.fr/site/produit/skate-el ... d-newheel/
like kites,...never pay retail... :nono:

Return to “Hydrofoil”