Hydrofoil Big Air

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoil Big Air

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:15 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Andokite wrote:If you have the proper technique and keep your foil kite overhead at landing time, you will dingle dangle like a feather and your touch down will be so gentle you may keep foiling with no "board touch down" at all. There's many videos showing this. Just take a look.
? I thought a foil kite would have to be redirected as with a LEI to avoid overflying when overhead, also if you're using an LEI, you will still run the risk of a heavy landing from anything over 10m :-?

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:59 pm

Short lines with a foil kite prevents kiteastrophes.

At Martha's Vineyard, Nico had a few almost-bobbles with the kite, but every time he'd just sheet in hard and land directly underneath his kite with just enough redirect at the end to ride away. He only dropped it once out of over a dozen jumps, and he was sending it as hard as he could.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:30 pm

TheRussian wrote:
TheRussian wrote:
Andokite wrote:If you have the proper technique and keep your foil kite overhead at landing time, you will dingle dangle like a feather and your touch down will be so gentle you may keep foiling with no "board touch down" at all. There's many videos showing this. Just take a look.
? I thought a foil kite would have to be redirected as with a LEI to avoid overflying when overhead, also if you're using an LEI, you will still run the risk of a heavy landing from anything over 10m :-?
The thing is you're going upwind SO hard that you actually fly up high and upwind..if that makes sense, I am sure on a few jumps yesterday I ended up landing upwind of where I took off and because of this you don't swing under the kite as much. I didn't have any slack lines when landing yesterday.

re: tech. for me I am going upwind with lots of tension in the lines, I send the kite and try to time the foil coming out of the water as the kite goes past 12. The key is not to leave the foil under the water as you send the kite past 12 as the pull is so aggressive, you'll leave your toes attached to the board. I fully expect that when I start wearing boots when it's cold enough I will certainly leave a boot behind once or twice.

When you leave the board behind it's hilarious as you go up SO fast as there is no weight of the board/foil.

I want a dedicated jumping foil board now. something bomber and light. Probably doesn't exist currently.

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Tone wrote:
TheRussian wrote:
TheRussian wrote:
The thing is you're going upwind SO hard that you actually fly up high and upwind..if that makes sense, I am sure on a few jumps yesterday I ended up landing upwind of where I took off and because of this you don't swing under the kite as much. I didn't have any slack lines when landing yesterday.

re: tech. for me I am going upwind with lots of tension in the lines, I send the kite and try to time the foil coming out of the water as the kite goes past 12. The key is not to leave the foil under the water as you send the kite past 12 as the pull is so aggressive, you'll leave your toes attached to the board. I fully expect that when I start wearing boots when it's cold enough I will certainly leave a boot behind once or twice.

When you leave the board behind it's hilarious as you go up SO fast as there is no weight of the board/foil.

I want a dedicated jumping foil board now. something bomber and light. Probably doesn't exist currently.
But mate....7.9m :wink:

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Tone wrote:I want a dedicated jumping foil board now. something bomber and light. Probably doesn't exist currently.
Email George, he'll make one for you.

http://www.deltahydrofoil.com/contact.html

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear
Has thanked: 0

Postby tahoedirk » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:41 pm

I think it has something to do with the rider ? Some guys can ride anything, and well. This summer I was out kooking around by myself one evening thinking I was pretty cool. This guy named Adam came out lit up on an 11m elf and sent it to the moon over and over. Not only did he seem to be hitting 20m , he was kicking his board upside down and trying to air ride it sitting on the foil like a cowboy. Next he would try to replace the thing on his feet. His friend was shooting video so he was going huge, and nailing a few. He was on Mikes foil but I think he would have done just fine on another model too.

Cool vid, cool jumps

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:13 pm

^ Adam Withington. He's got some great videos on Youtube:

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:31 pm

TheRussian wrote:
Tone wrote:
TheRussian wrote:

But mate....7.9m :wink:
lol that was on a TT, I don't have a mount on the foilboard, yet... definatly going higher on the 9m sonic and Foilboard yesterday compared to the 15 and TT...

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:35 am

... it's funny when you get the timing wrong and leave the board in the water and go up with no board.
:lol: I thought I was the only one doing this. Now I wonder if it look as hilarious to others as it does to the rider?...

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:35 am

borist wrote:
... it's funny when you get the timing wrong and leave the board in the water and go up with no board.
:lol: I thought I was the only one doing this. Now I wonder if it look as hilarious to others as it does to the rider?...
Does anyone have a good video of that?

Impressed with the guy looping his Dyno on a hydrofoil jump.
Even more impressed that North actually sold at least one 5m Dyno.

Return to “Hydrofoil”