A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Hydrofoil Big Air

Postby airsurfer » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:54 pm

Does anyone else notice the crazy sounds the foil makes flying through air at high speed on big jumps?

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Randahl » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:24 pm

tahoedirk, I think I saw you out off Kings Beach a few weeks ago on the Sunday after the first snowstorm. I was over at speedboat and watching a kite moving so fast that it had to be a foiler. Where do you launch?

For jumping the foil kite definitely helps you get those dangling feather landings that make foil jumping a more reasonable prospect. It gives you way more confidence in boosting to know you're going to come down softly. With an LEI it's usually a faster and sketchier descent for me and I end up doing a lot more aborts on the landings and kick away. I used to kick the board away a lot more when I was first jumping because I didn't have the timing right and you really don't want a misaligned re-entry with a powered up kite. I used to be afraid of hurting the foil but after so many beat up sessions on my Sword2 I found that it is pretty rock solid. There have been landings where I was positive I was going to flip the board over and find a broken mast and no wings and the thing is solid as ever. Well-constructed carbon fiber is a beautiful thing.

The progression for me has been trying to dial in the foil-away landing, which really takes precise timing. One day I would like to be able to execute a powered up foil-away landing akin to what you can do on a twin.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:53 am

No strange whistles in the air here with levitaz.

A foiling landing is still far away for me, the gusty winds in the movie didn't make a smooth landing on even the board any easyer.

Adam is showing some really nice big air skills here, but i notice even he isn't landing very smoothly and some landings are even cut off.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:02 am

Look how careful they were about not showing his non-slingshot kite in that clip...

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:07 am

Ha, maybe that's why the cut off most landings since the kite sent down off course. Also it seems as he is using longer lines here, but what length?

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:58 pm

Hey Randahl, are you around here?, do you drink beer? I've been freezing lately even with my new Gucci R4 suit. The season is about done. Kings beach across from Safeway, gimme a call next time you're around 5307210119

Big air on a foil is way cool for the guy doing it, but with all the straight down wigglewaggle landings it takes something special to look cool, except the 20m jumps. I broke my bridle last week going for the moon. It's hard to beat back to back football field jumps on a surfboard for me, and back to back football fields look badass to everyone watching.

Matt Air
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lakes in Dallas, TX
USA
Favorite Beaches: Have kited in Southern Brazil, Greece, Texas coasts, and Hawaii
Style: Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab Fx 9,12, Kitech foil kites 9m, 12m, Alpine foil, Xenon La Luz TT, cloud kite 5.5, 9m Ozone Edge

Postby Matt Air » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:59 am

Looks like Adam's video got taken down, maybe by Slingshot :nono: . Glad I saw it when I did, but I've seen him in person. Amazing rider, jumps, and skill.

Matt

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:15 am

Matt Air wrote:Looks like Adam's video got taken down, maybe by Slingshot :nono: . Glad I saw it when I did, but I've seen him in person. Amazing rider, jumps, and skill.

Matt
I guess it's the same video at the end of the SS Foil Academy...?

Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One

Postby Randahl » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:27 pm

tahoedirk wrote:Hey Randahl, are you around here?, do you drink beer? I've been freezing lately even with my new Gucci R4 suit. The season is about done. Kings beach across from Safeway, gimme a call next time you're around 5307210119

Big air on a foil is way cool for the guy doing it, but with all the straight down wigglewaggle landings it takes something special to look cool, except the 20m jumps. I broke my bridle last week going for the moon. It's hard to beat back to back football field jumps on a surfboard for me, and back to back football fields look badass to everyone watching.
Dirk,

I'm afraid I am one of those Bay Area vacationers (6-7 weekends a year) that the Tahoe locals love/hate. I haven't kited on the Lake yet but I can't wait. I will keep your number in case, but we are now staring down the long cold winter so it could be a while. I have a 6.5 hooded suit that is more than enough to kite through the winter down here at sea level. Not sure how I would fare up there in winter though. I gave up on looking cool the first time I saw my own footage. I tell myself it's all for the inner stoke.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:02 am

How high do you jump?
My best so far 15.2m - yesterday @ El Cabezo
Flysurf Soul 8m, Moses Comet, lines 18m, wind 20-25kts.

Return to “Hydrofoil”