Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite foiling - Going from heel side to toeside help?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
max
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite foiling - Going from heel side to toeside help?

Postby max » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:16 am

Well ... I tried a few things but the one that seems to be helping is ... Turn upwind slightly to tension the lines and then begin the carve followed by a downloop. It would seem it is also about commitment. Keep the board carving around onto the new tack and resist the tendency to wander downwind which just slackens the lines, stalls the kite and results in sad finish.

Had only a bit more success but the goal now feels like it is within sight.

Am getting good at deep water relaunching as this toe side turning is giving me some practice in that area also. Onshore winds,chop and afternoon sun directly in your eyes as you hit that stalled dead downwind position adds to the challenge. Can't wait to try again tomorrow.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:08 pm

How much of a masochist are you?

If the answer is "very" then downloop, close to the water, and throw it around the carve hard. It'll hurt a lot but you'll get it right...eventually.

If not (and assuming you're beginning), then do what the others have suggested:
Curve (not carve) upwind like a TT sliding transition, then when you're about to lose board speed and stop,
send the kite across the window and follow it closely with the nose of the board. Lift from the kite should stop you sinking, so keep the kite high eg. from 11 to 1.

This will work for foiling and surface jibes, as the board will rotate around the foil on or off the water.

When you get familiar with it, as you curve upwind and just as the board approaches a stop, let the foil rise up out of the water some. Then, as the kite goes across the window and pulls you in the new direction, the foil sinks and that gets converted into board speed. You can pretty much stall the board to a dead stop, and I found the the easiest way to get around and not slack the kite into the water.

Initially, downloops are for when you're underpowered. The more power you feel, the higher up the window you do them...as they can lead to warp speed downwind charges...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:11 pm

Oh, page two.

I found for "normal" heel to toe jibes, keeping the foil close to the water helped too.

And commit and crank the bar hard. You want the fastest change of direction for the kite, so it'll accelerate on the other tack ASAP. If you can pivot the kite, do so.

irwe
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby irwe » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:20 pm

Like others have said line tension is a must.
I also find sneaking my back foot a little further forward before I transition helped to keep the foil level and in more control during the transition.
I still transition at a slow to medium speed and I find if the board wants to hit the water after I have brought my back foot a little forward I don't have enough speed/power.
Try it.

gmasiak
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Skyway Bridge in Saint Petersburg , Fl
Favorite Beaches: Lido Beach in Sarasota, FL
Anna Maria Beach, North Desoto Beach
Style: Freeride, Foiling
Gear: Lift Foils 110 and 150 with Zeeko AirRace board.
Pulsion UL 12m ,OR Flite kites.
Been thanked: 0

Postby gmasiak » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:31 pm

Does anyone has some more tips?

RobH
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Vancouver, BC
Favorite Beaches: Sherman Island
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Maui Boardriding Cloud .5 with CCS bar
Alex Aguera Freeride board and foil
Ride Engine Harness
Kurtis Surf Goggles

Postby RobH » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:41 pm

gmasiak wrote:Does anyone has some more tips?
:lol: You're funny!

coleman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby coleman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:55 pm

here's my tip....turn upwind slightly, tension lines while flying the up in the window to about 10 o'clock--(boardspeed increases) at the same release edge into turn and downloop kite.

its easy to over shoot the kite with the foil so getting on a slight upwind angle before the transition helps with that

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:58 pm

irwe wrote:Like others have said line tension is a must.
I also find sneaking my back foot a little further forward before I transition helped to keep the foil level and in more control during the transition.
I still transition at a slow to medium speed and I find if the board wants to hit the water after I have brought my back foot a little forward I don't have enough speed/power.
Try it.
I find the opposite - I put my rear foot a bit back when I want to do a tight carving turn (or cutback), as then I have much more control and can do it sharper and better :wink:

Maybe your foil are trimmed a lot "seek up" meaning your rear wing has a very low angle and not as neutral ?
Just a thought, but might also be personal preferences only yes :roll:

8) PF

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:38 pm

Yeah, line tension is a confusing bonus in my preferences :D

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, Duotone, Flysurfer, Alpine

Postby cglazier » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Let's take baby steps in learning this.

Heel side to toeside, no transition:
While foiling take your back foot out of the rear footstrap and place it just in front of that footstrap (if strapless just move your back foot forward a bit). Then move your back foot into the other front strap and quickly move your original front foot to the back of the board (if strapless move your feet to roughly where footstraps would be). Do not change direction. You are now riding toside. :D
You will probably touch down while doing this but with practise you will eventually stay up foiling through this move.

Heel side to toeside jibe:
Turn more and more downwind. Before you go straight downwind (and toward your kite) pull very hard to your front hand to downloop the kite while continuing to turn your board. The downloop is essential to give you a surge of power as you go through the downwind portion of your turn. At first you may want to only do downloops when lightly powered. You will find downloops make this move much easier. :D Ideally you ALWAYS downloop when jibing. With practise you will eventually stay up foiling through this move.

Heel side to toeside tack:
While foiling pull on your back hand to bring your kite overhead and then to the other direction. While doing this turn your board upwind (push on your back foot). Keep turning your board all the way around and you will end up toeside going in the other direction. This is a tack without the footswitch. It is more difficult than it sounds. But it is excellent practise for full tacking (with a foot switch). With practise you will eventually stay up foiling through this move.

:wink: CG
Last edited by cglazier on Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”