jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Shoulders Forward?

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm

Wood skim with deck pad, enough to float the aluminum foil but quite neutral. The foil itself dictates how the whole thing moves or rather "swims". Foils generally self orient to pointing down wind. I come at it from the side, put my rear foot onto the rail near the tail (tindy spot) sink that rail and the whole thing will tilt and swim forward so the mast kind of swims the foil up to near horizontal. Then just place the other foot, and send the kite across the window. Many times your up and gone in a single smooth motion. Same as with a surfboard, but with a little more attention and patients to get properly oriented above the wing. The board is pretty easy to smear around with both feet in place under or at the water surface with just a bit of line tension as long as you work with and not against the foil. My set up has a definite shut off at 8 knots for getting up and going. 12m bagged out cloud as a big kite, I can get up in 9 with a single loop, 8 is a real struggle, 10 is effortless, no looping required.

geopeck
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby geopeck » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:01 pm

I don't know what the tindy spot is but that's the key. You almost have to use that foot to put direct vertical or even tugging force on that spot to squirt the foil out forward of you, then the front of the board will automatically swing to meet your other foot.

And the crowd goes wild! Wait, no crowd. But it feels super good. It brings foiling a little towards that SB feeling where you get a little aquatic, you're on, you're off, you're back on, being in the water is part of the play.

Works with my cabrinha nugget as well, with probably 35 lbs of buoyancy

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:18 pm

6805276.jpg
6805276.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 5580 times
Sorry, my bad, tindy is toe side rail, Should have said tailfish.

Low volume boards can be driven around pretty easily when you grab the rail near the back of the plate. Do enough body dragging with a low volume set up and you eventually learn how to swim it around efficiently. I remember developing forearm strain from muscling the board onto its side over and over and over when it was bolted to a floaty surfboard. I eventually learned that if you just grab the rail in the right spot and let the kite pull provide a tiny bit of movement you can sink the opposite rail and pretty effortlessly use mast tilt to swim the board onto its side and into position.

Do that enough times and you can figure out how to do it with your rear foot from heel side rail.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:38 pm

Agree with hands free launch. Possible with lower volume pocketboards. Quite neat and easy to learn as stated above. Keeps you riding right away as opposed to messing with board and position, etc.

Even with missed tacks where I land on my back, I can just keep rear foot on board and with right pressure let the foil swim into position and water launch. Sometimes it’s just a back touching down moment before riding again.

A plus for newer pocket boards!

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:52 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 pm
Wood skim with deck pad, enough to float the aluminum foil but quite neutral.
What are the approximate dimensions of your wood skim? Is it just a home made plywood one or a store bought? How much rocker in the nose? I use to make my own years ago when skim boarding was my thing.
What foil set up do you use? I have the LF Impulse and I am beginning to think the size of the wings has more to do with going out in light wind then the board volume (mine is 21 liters Happy Pill) I was out in Lake Huron chop/swell yesterday started at 10 knots over powered on a 10m and kept riding down to 6 knots till the kite fell out of the sky during a transition and that was the end of my session.
I have never tried a low volume board though so that is on my list.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:19 pm

IMG_3455.jpg
IMG_3456.jpg
https://dbskimboards.com

Size large 110cm x 50 cm, extra stiff, double deck pad, Zeeko aluminum foil with carver wing.

Measuring, drilling and mounted stainless T nuts took about a half hour.
Attachments
IMG_3241 (1).jpg

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:54 pm

JTS, how much does that board weigh? How did you figure out where to drill the mast holes? Any other tips? I’m looking to downsize my board soon, and what you’ve got looks great.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster

Postby jumptheshark » Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:16 pm

It's not exactly light at about 9lbs board only. My foil is another 9lbs.

Had my stance in relation to the plate figured out from the previous board. Was pretty easy to measure it up on the new board to get it all centred drill and pop in the T nuts with a dab of glue to seal it all.

Has been a great set up that I have no real plans of changing.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:32 pm

WOW that is a lot of rocker for skim board. Good thing it works as a foil board cause that would not work well in shallow flats of the great lakes as a skim....lol
Thanks for the pics Starsky. Looks like a good setup and probably inexpensive too.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:35 pm

Back on topic. I tried this yesterday in light wind. I would call it hips forward, more than shoulders forward. I didn't get full parallel stance, but more like big toe at heel. It's surprisingly easy, I could even go up wind.
Next time I'll try to carve over to " toeside" and do a foot switch.

Return to “Hydrofoil”