Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby ronnie » Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am

This is just a guess, but if the canard foil works by transferring % of the total lift back and forth between the wings depending on the angle of attack, then I expect that the pumping could be improved if the canard wings were both the same size and were closer together. That could reduce the pitch stability though.

It would be like moving more toward a biplane monofoil, but with the potential for more pitch stability than a biplane monofoil.

This is just a biplane box wing (not a canard) with a rear stabiliser, but it is an illustration of a possible layout for a box wing canard foil, if the two wings of the box foil were designed as canard wings, and there was no rear stabiliser.

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lederhosen » Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am

ronnie wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 9:33 am
This is just a guess, but if the canard foil works by transferring % of the total lift back and forth between the wings depending on the angle of attack, then I expect that the pumping could be improved if the canard wings were both the same size and were closer together. That could reduce the pitch stability though.

It would be like moving more toward a biplane monofoil, but with the potential for more pitch stability than a biplane monofoil.

This is just a biplane box wing (not a canard) with a rear stabiliser, but it is an illustration of a possible layout for a box wing canard foil, if the two wings of the box foil were designed as canard wings, and there was no rear stabiliser.
Never having tried monofoil, i wonder if a canard feels like a monofoil with more pitch control.

I think you are right that having the two wings on top of each other would make it easier to angle them back up towards the surface for pumping. Has anybody tried to build a canard with wings that have a joint at the front so they can flap down when pumping?

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Mon May 06, 2019 7:25 pm

lederhosen wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:32 am
Never having tried monofoil, i wonder if a canard feels like a monofoil with more pitch control.
Not really. Spitfire is lot more stable than mono and closer to a regular foil by comparison, even with small wings.
These users thanked the author borist for the post:
lederhosen (Thu May 09, 2019 9:45 am)
Rating: 3.03%

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Mon May 06, 2019 11:02 pm

If I could have learned on a spitfire XLW for the price I bought my slingshot hoverglide, with short masts included, I would have chosen the spitfire.

I keep waiting for someone to add a spring to the wing(s) for more efficient surf pumping.

Also, the trend of huge surf wings should make canard setups more attractive, because they don’t need such huge wings for the same lift.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri May 10, 2019 1:55 am

Pumping on the XXLW Spitfire for me is a series of let it rise quickly then stomp on front for a slightly accelerating dive then back up.
Certainly I don’t notice a need to react quicker in this department.
As a Windfoil I have progressively been moving it forward and soon will be in the Sup position.
As the forward progress of position goes on so does the stance move toward the centre line of board.

I’m thinking the Spitfire is the making of style of Windfoil that could be in the vein of the Drexler style.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Fri May 10, 2019 12:41 pm

3InletsWindsports wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:55 am
Pumping on the XXLW Spitfire for me is a series of let it rise quickly then stomp on front for a slightly accelerating dive then back up.
Certainly I don’t notice a need to react quicker in this department.
As a Windfoil I have progressively been moving it forward and soon will be in the Sup position.
As the forward progress of position goes on so does the stance move toward the centre line of board.

I’m thinking the Spitfire is the making of style of Windfoil that could be in the vein of the Drexler style.
I think it could go together well with a wing.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 pm

If they put some anhedral on the wings I might try it again....

but I sold it off pretty quick after seeing how unstable it was...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri May 10, 2019 4:55 pm

NYKiter wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 1:03 pm
If they put some anhedral on the wings I might try it again....

but I sold it off pretty quick after seeing how unstable it was...

I dont understand this ?

Anhedral is often used to make them less stable so they turn easier so to speak, but usually for avoiding ventilation if high AR/span wings.

I find the Spitfire extremely stable, and many others do too, so very odd you had this experience, can you elaborate a bit more on what you mean by "unstable"?

Was it the std or the XLW?

The standard is really pitch sensitive and lively/fun yes, but I dont think that is what you mean, as it got nothing to do with anhedral or flat or whatever.

XLW is a lot more pitch stable :thumb:

8) PF

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri May 10, 2019 5:59 pm

The std wing does take a bit of adapting to and does not like the back foot too far forward.
This sensitive nature has its own rewards.
The XLW is more forgiving
The XXLW is extremely forgiving

zerogee_ca
Very Frequent Poster

Postby zerogee_ca » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:35 am

I am about to get the Spitfire with XLW wings and excited to learn foilboarding with it. Are there any specific tutorials or tips available to make learning on it easier? Or, Can the existing online how-to's work?

For example, would the info in this part of this tutorial still apply to the Spitfire?

Return to “Hydrofoil”