Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Zeeko white & green or Spitfire to learn on?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
heemskn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cocoa Beach/Clearwater, Florida
Style: wave
Gear: Surfboards, Airush Wave kites
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Zeeko white & green or Spitfire to learn on?

Postby heemskn » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:52 pm

So I just made up my mind to buy a Zeeko white&green alloy foil to learn on and then the Spitfire foil comes out...

Background: Been kiting for 10+ years, last couple of years mostly strapless surfboard in waves. Finally decided to get into foiling for boring lower wind days. Mainly interested in riding swell and carving (once I get good enough). Don't mind longer learning curve. About 200 lbs/90 kg.

Question for the folks that have used both foils: should I buy the white&green foil with an extra carver wing, or should I go straight for a Spitfire?

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Re: Zeeko white & green or Spitfire to learn on?

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:36 pm

I'd also like to hear some opinions on this. It has been mentioned that a beginner would see the spitfire as normal, but what about going back to a std foil after learning on a spitfire?

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:56 am

This is my experience so far...

The only difference I have found really is where you apply pressure and the amount of pressure.

On the zeeko blue/white with el stubbo board, the mast was at the rearward setting and pushed my centre of gravity forward ovrr my front foot to drive down the board. Especially in turns, push down hard on the front foot.

On the Spitfire with el stubbo, i moved the mast to the forward most position. I now find almost even pressure between front and back feet (a bit similar to LF fish foil) while cruising, but often have to drive down with the backfoot to initially get up. The turning requires centre of gravity over the rear foot (tighter the turn more rear foot pressure). All movements seem to require more control on your inputs or greater subtleties on the spitfire.

If you are already riding a foil, I think you will be able to go back and forwards between normal and canard. (Same divergence as TT and surfboard )

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:29 am

bigtone667 wrote:This is my experience so far...

The only difference I have found really is where you apply pressure and the amount of pressure.

On the zeeko blue/white with el stubbo board, the mast was at the rearward setting and pushed my centre of gravity forward ovrr my front foot to drive down the board. Especially in turns, push down hard on the front foot.

On the Spitfire with el stubbo, i moved the mast to the forward most position. I now find almost even pressure between front and back feet (a bit similar to LF fish foil) while cruising, but often have to drive down with the backfoot to initially get up. The turning requires centre of gravity over the rear foot (tighter the turn more rear foot pressure). All movements seem to require more control on your inputs or greater subtleties on the spitfire.

If you are already riding a foil, I think you will be able to go back and forwards between normal and canard. (Same divergence as TT and surfboard )

Bigtone, can you please do me a big favour and measure the distance between the front foil mount and front foot rear strap screws, also the relative distance of the rear strap to the foil mount with the spitfire? I'm modifying my shinnster and that would give me a good starting point with a comparable board. Thanks!!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:14 pm

The things I'm reading make it sound like going from TT or directional to foil would be easiest with the Spitfire...

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:04 pm

Kamikuza wrote:The things I'm reading make it sound like going from TT or directional to foil would be easiest with the Spitfire...
I like the Spitfire, but not sure if it is easier to start with, having my doubts.
Possible for sure though.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

Return to “Hydrofoil”