Gear: Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Airush Ultra, Storm Voyager, Gong strutless
LFSolo
Moses HF.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Solo 12 vs Breeze 13 vs Mono 12

Postby Wielandt » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Hi Faklord

Spot on. I bought the Storm Voyager 15 m2 because I use it for foiling in low wind. Thought that the Gong 17 would be to big. Before my Gong 12 m2 was my biggest kite for low wind foiling. I could foil ok. from app. 3.5-4 m/s, but if the wind dropped and it often does in marginal wind, I would be in trouble. I was very very surprised in the huge different between the 15 Storm and the 12 Gong. The Storm get going in next to no wind and as I mentioned before is very very easy to relaunch. For some reason, also easier than the Gong's.

There is not much difference in build quality. It's the same concept focused on ultra light kites.
They dont flap as much a the LF Solo's. But again with a little Line tension it's no problem.
Turning speed ! It's hard to campare the 15 with a 12 and 9 m2. The fifteen is quite slow, but fine for me practicing gybes and carving on my foilboard.
The gongs have a pully eye for the front lines. Storm are fixed bridles and it might gives a more direct steering feeling.

I'm far from an expert and think both Storm and Gong are super for foiling.

When I use my TT in high winds I use Naish Drafts for hight and hangtime. But thats an other disciplin.

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:25 pm

^^ Thanks for the info.
For me, it sounds like it worth paying that little bit extra for a Storm...

Brian H
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:05 pm

I am a beginner foiler and can easily ride back and forth but was unable to make any turns or ride toeside yet . I purchased a 12m voyager 3 from hydrofoiling Miami . I set up the kite on a 24 in bar with 28m line and flew it on land in around 6 kts, the kite flew excellent and I could not back stail the kite at all. I had the kite out in the water in about 10/12 kts and was surprised how powerful it was and i was able to park the kite and make some toeside turns a ride long distances and then turn back heel side for the first time ever . Ps I'm 185 lbs and ride a Slingshot dwarfcraft and a MHL lisft

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos, Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride
Gear: AGAMA KOMODO board, Affinis 12m kite
Brand Affiliation: AGAMA EXTREME
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby abel » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:36 pm

So... finally I managed to test a Mono 12 at 10-12 knots.
The pulling force is similar to the Solo 12, and it says in the air also as the Solo, which is quite good.
I cannot comment about the Mono stability in lighter than 10 knots, as I could while testing the Breeze 13 (which tended to stall earlier than the Solo at the same wind speed [<10 knots] ).
Anyhow, I immediately got comfy with the Mono and enjoyed it's constant pull after the water start down stroke (even tough it was on 24mt lines)
The feeling was similar to the Solo 12 but with 29m lines. Slow and strong.
The Mono develops a smooth progressive force giving a nice feedback on the bar.
One peculiar thing that I noticed is that the force is more or less linear with the bar pull, but towards the upper end there is a small quantum step while the kite is still pulling.
It immediately flags the kite before it linearly reaches zero pull. This has to be taken into account by all those who like to ride lit;
you won't be able to fully depower the kite to avoid it from ripping you off the foil board (if you don't setup the depower strap to reach that point).

The main lesson learned is that it's f.#.n difficult to compare kites under 10 knots, you need all the kites available at once, and change between them every 10-15 minutes,
otherwise a mere +/- 1/2 knot makes a huge difference in the kite behavior.
After all this testing, I still don't have a clue about the upper wind speed limits of each of the kites in the topic. :-? , so much for the wind range :(
Reading other's comments about the upper limits, it seems that the Solo has the lowest upper limit, is that right???

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:00 am

abel wrote: The main lesson learned is that it's f.#.n difficult to compare kites under 10 knots, you need all the kites available at once, and change between them every 10-15 minutes,
otherwise a mere +/- 1/2 knot makes a huge difference in the kite behavior.
:thumb: Yes under 10 knots 1 or 2 knots is a big deal.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:57 am

So true - extremely difficult to test kites up against each other, almost impossible...

I have done it a lot, but time consuming like nothing else :wink:

First you have to use a lot of time on the kite, so you know it sufficiently well, as all kites need a different way to be flown and handled.

Then you have to fly the 2 you want to compare, neck and neck same day, changing back and fourth and TRYING to get your muscle memory to work reasonably even when changing often.
You have to change so many times, that you rule out differences in wind - as we are talking about the low end or ultimate low end here, so it means the world...

If you get a new kite, it will take about 3 months with a lot of riding, till you can utilize this kite well, and almost half a year till you can max it and fly it blindly.
Many dont know this - they just go out and fly a new kite (which is easy, we can all do that), and get their impression out of this.
It will only give a very rough impression, and for sure not about the low end, as this is so dependant on "feel" which takes a long time to get for a new kite.

All kites can (and should) stall, so talking about a kite that dont backstall does not make sense IMO.
Some are more prone to this than others though, and this can be presented (whether it is good or bad is a different thing though, when you know how wings work...)
If you trim so lots of rear line tension, ALL kites can stall.
Personally I never ever fly a kite that I can not backstall when trimmed open and bar pulled - but this is a personal wish for maxing it, others want the opposite, that they can pull the bar and the kite wont stall :roll:
The latter is not possible though in all conditions, as in lighter wind every kite will stall :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”