Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

its not going to happen for me

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: its not going to happen for me

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:53 pm

I get a lot of shitty 8 to 12 knot days that are hard work on a TT, so basically I added an extra 20+ days per year of quality kitesurfing because I learnt to foil.

All up, getting to decent level, it took me a few years because I was limited by my location and wind directions. But once I found a really good summer location and winter location I progressed very quickly starting with the 18inch mast for the LF fish foil from Houston Kiteboarding.

Now there seems to be no point in pulling out a TT at all unless it is a super shallow location. That's how much pleasure I get from a foil.

Note: If there is decent wind and surf, I will dump the foil generally for a surfboard. But even the foil is getting a run now in the surf!!!!!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:01 pm

plummet wrote: it is not a silver bullet, I am not as "converted" as many of the foil converts like starsky. There are limitations that the foil has for sure.
You'd be converted if you were landlocked like he is with about 7 months a year to ride
Fresh water and poor wind in general
It's his only way to get to ride more than he used to
Happy for him....good for him

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:02 pm

socommk23 wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Starsky wrote:
Dude! Maybe lets qualify those opinions. Can you foil? Do you have ANY experience with foiling? Novelty? Plenty of fans here who are far from questioning it. I would say the exact opposite. Its the only other active section of the forum! Lots of the sharing and stoke that has long since died out on the other sections. It's fine if you can't or don't want to get into it, but understand, that your perspective is limited by your experience.

Learning something new has an addicting nature, but after that is mostly that it just spoils you. Going back to conventional upwind angles, speeds and low end wind limits is pretty tough once you have achieved proficiency on a foil.
It looks fun, but between the cost, the danger, and the limited amount of tricks, I think i'm satisfied with normal kiteboarding. To me it's just like jumping on a pogo stick, it looks like it can be fun, but it's not going to kill me if I don't do it.
^dont even listen to this bloke/kid? Zero experience plenty of opinions.

Id say dont give up. New challenges are great. And plateau's are a normal thing to overcome. But the buzz from breaking that pattern is one to aim for.
However if your mind is made up (dont think it is or youd have not posted) then i hope your happy moving on.
I will be trying foiling this coming summer......cant wait.
Everything I have said so far has been true. Foilboarding is expensive, dangerous, and limited amount of tricks. I just thought this guy should know that, since you know so much more than I do about foilboring.
socommk23 wrote:I will be trying foiling this coming summer......
:roll:

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:25 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
socommk23 wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
It looks fun, but between the cost, the danger, and the limited amount of tricks, I think i'm satisfied with normal kiteboarding. To me it's just like jumping on a pogo stick, it looks like it can be fun, but it's not going to kill me if I don't do it.
^dont even listen to this bloke/kid? Zero experience plenty of opinions.

Id say dont give up. New challenges are great. And plateau's are a normal thing to overcome. But the buzz from breaking that pattern is one to aim for.
However if your mind is made up (dont think it is or youd have not posted) then i hope your happy moving on.
I will be trying foiling this coming summer......cant wait.
Everything I have said so far has been true. Foilboarding is expensive, dangerous, and limited amount of tricks. I just thought this guy should know that, since you know so much more than I do about foilboring.
socommk23 wrote:I will be trying foiling this coming summer......
:roll:
Douche bag strikes again. Please shut up about your "tricks" and dont mention your "aggressive style" or lack of evidence for how you could "show us how its done".
Read what i wrote properly. I was talking about the challenge. And not giving up. That comes from personal experience of taking on challenges that i wanted to throw the towel in but continued until i succeeded. Then i emphasised it but saying how i was to be taking on the EXACT same challenge this year.

Walk away dude.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:27 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote: Foilboarding is expensive, dangerous, and limited amount of tricks.
Yeah, best to stick to riding a twin tip. Much cheaper, safer, and diverse. Wouldn't want to commit to a $1,000 board that will widen your windrange by 30% but require you wear a helmet and PFD...Much more fun to sit on the beach looking cool than to get out and ride more often.
Last edited by Mossy 757 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:28 pm

PullStrings wrote:
plummet wrote: it is not a silver bullet, I am not as "converted" as many of the foil converts like starsky. There are limitations that the foil has for sure.
You'd be converted if you were landlocked like he is with about 7 months a year to ride
So true, so true!

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:30 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:Everything I have said so far has been true. Foilboarding is expensive, dangerous, and limited amount of tricks. I just thought this guy should know that, since you know so much more than I do about foilboring.
If you want a cheap, safe and multi-trick sport, this would be more your style...

Or perhaps...

Last edited by Kamikuza on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:32 am

Starsky wrote:
PullStrings wrote:
So true, so true!
Second that. 12 knot days are the rule, 20 the exception. Not going to be busting aggressive tricks or big air, and no waves to speak of. Even getting upwind is hard work...GD-style foiling is fun. Despite the lack of obvious tricks.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:41 am

socommk23 wrote:Douche bag strikes again. Please shut up about your "tricks" and dont mention your "aggressive style" or lack of evidence for how you could "show us how its done".
Read what i wrote properly. I was talking about the challenge. And not giving up. That comes from personal experience of taking on challenges that i wanted to throw the towel in but continued until i succeeded. Then i emphasised it but saying how i was to be taking on the EXACT same challenge this year.

Walk away dude.
That's funny, you think everyone here cares about what your plans for the year are.

The OP was giving his own experience, but it looks like you went ahead and used it as an excuse to tell everyone in this room about how bad ass you are for wanting to try foilboring, which no one in here gives a shit about. And trust me, you are anything but bad ass.

And please, stay out until you have some helpful advice, instead of talking about "Me me me" all the time. Because no one cares. You're like a little cockroach that wont go away.
Last edited by LetsFlyaKite on Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:44 am

Kamikuza wrote:If you want a cheap, safe and multi-trick sport, this would be more your style...
You know what would be more your style?

This... :rollgrin: :rollgrin: :rollgrin:

Return to “Hydrofoil”