Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

its not going to happen for me

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: its not going to happen for me

Postby JakeFarley » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Arcsrule wrote:
revhed wrote:
Arcsrule wrote:I got stuck with 2 carafino foil boards...
I bought the slingshot system
So, I quit. .
Maybe bad karma for your support for the psycho thief Manual Carabelo, carfina here during the scam! :lol:
To bad, the slingshot is one of the few US set ups that flies just fine!
:bye: Quitter!
R H
the sad part is, I have become a quitter. I have been watching the wind blow since last summer and I have had no desire at all to go kitesurfing. I started back in 2000 and layeD out of work if there was wind. my life was on the water. now approaching 64 years old, i'm slowing down. I keep my old PL Chargers because they are virtually brand new, but my most fun is my big speed 3, 21 at 12 MPH IN BRIGHT SUN AND WARM WATER. I had the best carbon fiber surf kayak money can buy, and I've surfed it once. I bought the best whitewater kayak made last spring and I've taken it to the river twice. my body will still perform I think, but my mind is parting ways with my soul :(
I am in the "same boat" that you are in. Lost interest in golf, kayaking, fishing, and somewhat with kite boarding. I'm approaching 64 too and and struggle with arthritis; after a rigorous 2-3 hour session, I am sore for 2 days, even with Advil. BUT, there is the encouragement from my friends, bystanders on the beach, family to keep going. Fight it, don't quit! Never give up!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:33 pm

I think foiling, once you get it is the best option for the aging kiter. Lightest loads and smoothest ride of all boards.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:17 pm

after a rigorous 2-3 hour session, I am sore for 2 days, even with Advil
same here with 45...but you know what...it is work out ! Happy to be sore...means you stay in shape...and this without sweating :thumb:

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 pm

JakeFarley wrote:
Arcsrule wrote:
revhed wrote: Maybe bad karma for your support for the psycho thief Manual Carabelo, carfina here during the scam! :lol:
To bad, the slingshot is one of the few US set ups that flies just fine!
:bye: Quitter!
R H
the sad part is, I have become a quitter. I have been watching the wind blow since last summer and I have had no desire at all to go kitesurfing. I started back in 2000 and layeD out of work if there was wind. my life was on the water. now approaching 64 years old, i'm slowing down. I keep my old PL Chargers because they are virtually brand new, but my most fun is my big speed 3, 21 at 12 MPH IN BRIGHT SUN AND WARM WATER. I had the best carbon fiber surf kayak money can buy, and I've surfed it once. I bought the best whitewater kayak made last spring and I've taken it to the river twice. my body will still perform I think, but my mind is parting ways with my soul :(
I am in the "same boat" that you are in. Lost interest in golf, kayaking, fishing, and somewhat with kite boarding. I'm approaching 64 too and and struggle with arthritis; after a rigorous 2-3 hour session, I am sore for 2 days, even with Advil. BUT, there is the encouragement from my friends, bystanders on the beach, family to keep going. Fight it, don't quit! Never give up!
Yes! Don't quit. Never give up. And always keep moving!!

I'm 78, much arthritis, torn tendons in both shoulders, etc, etc. But. Kiting is such a joy. And trying to continue improving my jumping and looping is exciting. And hanging out with the crew!!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Wow, 78...that's awesome!!!

I am sure kiting keeps you going and fit.

oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Postby oldkiter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Toby wrote:Wow, 78...that's awesome!!!

I am sure kiting keeps you going and fit.
Yes Toby. Kiting and daily exercises for flexibility and strength....At least to my ability. But the kiting is pleasurable, the exercises a necessity. Also the brain is going. I just sent email to get signed in on my PC!!!!!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:00 pm

I would like to still be kiting at 78!. .... right now at 45 my neck, back, shoulder, thumb hurts and that's just the last 2 weeks activities.....

Will I last to 78? Or will my body be ruined by then?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:04 pm

Don't think about, just keep doing it!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:48 am

Did my 6th session today, one hour on the water in 8-12 knots with 12m North Mono. Local on 14m DNA and BRM paipo mowing the lawn. Beginner on a 17 m Ozone and door tt, also mowing.
Local kite center was helpful and walked with my board upwind to the point ( Maroma) so I could drag out.
I was fully powered and getting 500 m flights, steering around some seaweed, adjusting height over swells, doing downwind runs on surface to stay off the reef. Did one surface gybe.
Fantastic clear water, couldn't judge depth of water and eventually ran into a coral head at speed foiling. Small scrapes to front wing tip.
Loads of fun, don't give up. Take some private lessons, it's still cheaper than golf, sailing or vintage racing cars!!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:55 am

Want to add that the Fluente foil is working very well for me. Gets foiling at a speed that seems like low speed for tt. Pops right up, accelerating, turn upwind to control speed.
It's eerily silent, I have ear plugs and can't hear a thing from the foil, no vibration or anything. It's a freaky feeling zipping over the water with no sound...Except when it ventilates, and I've been able to recover from quite a few. I'm riding with foot on top of the plate. I put a arch bump under my pad there so I know where my foot is.

Return to “Hydrofoil”