its not going to happen for me

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Arcsrule
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

its not going to happen for me

Postby Arcsrule » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am

I got stuck with 2 carafino foil boards...I made a carbon foil to fit them. a year went by and I never took them to the water. so last year I bought the slingshot system with 4 mast, covers, and alien air board. I installed the shortest mast and took it to the beach twice. it was in the water maybe 30 minutes. my beach is mostly deserted but still I felt unsafe trying to learn this. So, I quit. I just don't have the time to invest in learning this. I will take a huge financial loss selling these, but its the right thing to do. I also have a vacuum pump I used making the carbon foil. it was a fun build...

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: its not going to happen for me

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:36 pm

Shame you quit on yourself after 30 minutes, seems like it would be hard to learn anything if that's your threshold. Took me about 10hrs of practice to get to a point I could ride both directions comfortably.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:15 pm

Me neither...luckily i borrowed a foilboard for 6 days in a row and got going...but it was not for me that sport...i prefer planing and pushing water on my surfboards and be able to ride the surf close to shore if i want to.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:43 pm

That's pretty normal. Won't be for everyone. Some places are far less suited than others.

As long as you have the humility to understand that 6 days of insight is not much to base opinions on.

The sport is evolving and will see its own kites with very specific traits.

Everyone is welcome to their tastes, and those of course inform their opinions.

@ Pull Stings. You have voiced your criticism of foiling many times. With six days under your belt its a bit like Airbunny espousing the merits of riding suicide... out of touch in a way everyone but you can see clearly.

KYLakeKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Kentucky Lake (Tennessee) Standing Rock Cove and Big Sandy
Favorite Beaches: Who needs a beach? Just give me some open water.
Style: LeeRoyyyyyy Jenkinnnnnnns!
Gear: All kites are cool !
Boards are like music. Everyone likes something different.

Postby KYLakeKiter » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Arcsrule wrote:I got stuck with 2 carafino foil boards...I made a carbon foil to fit them. a year went by and I never took them to the water. so last year I bought the slingshot system with 4 mast, covers, and alien air board. I installed the shortest mast and took it to the beach twice. it was in the water maybe 30 minutes. my beach is mostly deserted but still I felt unsafe trying to learn this. So, I quit. I just don't have the time to invest in learning this. I will take a huge financial loss selling these, but its the right thing to do. I also have a vacuum pump I used making the carbon foil. it was a fun build...
Bummed for you man. I followed all the Carafino drama and then your foil building. Sucks to have that much time and effort into it and never get to experience the foil magic. It does take time though, so better to spend your windy days enjoying what you do. Hopefully you won't have to take the $$$ hit you think you will. Should be plenty of people willing to pay a good price for a Slingshot mast set these days. I'm sure the home builts will be hard to let go for all the time you have in them.

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 pm

Good choice...

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Been thanked: 0

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:06 pm

It's not for everyone, it's more of a novelty than anything. And the people that foil here all question whether they even like it or not. It's probably addicting if you let it become addicting, but if you don't want to be addicted then don't do it.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:21 pm

Something like that happened to me. I bought the foil and I was nearly half a year without riding more than few meters. Then I bought a Big twinny and I was able to ride in light winds from the day one and thinking to sell the foil. Then I was another half year without touching the foil until my vacacions, then I give it another go and I was riding in a week time. The key is to ride it every day until you figure out how it works, but this means 6 days only crashing and the last one doing the first long rides.

So just let the foil parked until u get a freework windy week and then you will catch it... After unlimited crashes!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:05 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:It's not for everyone, it's more of a novelty than anything. And the people that foil here all question whether they even like it or not. It's probably addicting if you let it become addicting, but if you don't want to be addicted then don't do it.
Dude! Maybe lets qualify those opinions. Can you foil? Do you have ANY experience with foiling? Novelty? Plenty of fans here who are far from questioning it. I would say the exact opposite. Its the only other active section of the forum! Lots of the sharing and stoke that has long since died out on the other sections. It's fine if you can't or don't want to get into it, but understand, that your perspective is limited by your experience.

Learning something new has an addicting nature, but after that is mostly that it just spoils you. Going back to conventional upwind angles, speeds and low end wind limits is pretty tough once you have achieved proficiency on a foil.

cosmo
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby cosmo » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 pm

I get involve with foils because I like to challenge myself with a new sport, bought a Spotz2 but have trouble learnig with it.
A good friend let me his wife Sligshot hover with a short mast...man!
Got the best moments of my kite life with this setup (with the 24" mast). really love that thing so mach!
Next week I was in my spotz but thinking in that slingshot moments.

Give it a try, just some more time. Not only 30 minutes.

Return to “Hydrofoil”