Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Lesson and Progression on Isla de Holbox

Postby TomW » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:14 am

Arrived on Isla de Holbox and Jonny at Isla de Holbox KiteBoarding got me out on Sunday and Monday in SE Winds on my 9 m, Moses fleunte foil, and converted homemade surfboard. Went out just off hotel Nube in offshore Winds, he's in a little Zodiac, I have radio comms on helmet. Flat water, little 20-30 cm chop further out. Jonny give me great intro on land and picked up my level directly, adapting the Lesson on the fly as I processed. Already after first lesson I was going back and forth, surface foiling and small flights I couldn't really feel between chop. Could now keep upwind and water start easily.
Next lesson on Monday, bit more wind, same direction and kite. Jonny anchors the boat so I have an upwind reference point. Jonny gave me fantastic advice and encouragement, and I was supposed to learn to fly foil and touch down with control, sort of like a plane taking off staying low and touching down. Up - down. Up down, stop with control. 5-10 second flights. After 30 min I'm doing it and going well upwind and have to surface foil back. Then start doing 20-40 second runs up on foil, adjusting angle to wind to control speed, getting feel for height, and pumping a bit with legs, and then downwind foiling with some high speed headplants. Completely knackered and can barely get back in the boat.
Way, way way over my expectations!! I'm ready to fly solo now.
Highly recommend Jonny and his team.

super_padge
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Isla Holbox, Mexico
Favorite Beaches: Isla Holbox
Vella Island - Sri Lanka
Style: freeride
Gear: 7m Core Nexus
9m Core XR6

Axis freeride foil - 600 wing
Brand Affiliation: I tried a core kite and now can't go back....
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lesson and Progression on Isla de Holbox

Postby super_padge » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 am

Hey Tom! Great to meet you and really pleased you had a great time on Holbox. Thanks very much for the review - Jonny will be super happy to get your feedback!
Also i know Jirka would love a copy of your surfboard/convertible design for his next project...
Hope you get out foiling again soon - i'm sworking on getting some gybes both ways, proving tricky!

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby TomW » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:19 am

Pm me with email and I can send info on my conversion once back home.
I'm not 100% happy with plate on strut connection, it requires a spacer to accommodate the bottom shape of the surfboard. It seemed to work fine but my spacer plate weighs 500 g!
I would prefer a kf box that can be filled with a block when not foiling. It would be lighter and easier to assemble too. My Moses uses a plate.
But I'll stick with this setup for this season while I learn, and probably make a dedicated foil board this coming winter.

Looking like I might be blessed with wind here at Punta Maroma Sunday...kite station 200 m from the hotel.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:38 am

Isla Holbox...I have been there once many years ago when all spots where open, no bans. Just soooo beautiful! What a paradise.

Happy you had a great time and made big progress!

Return to “Hydrofoil”