Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board
Brand Affiliation: None

What is the best alloy mast out there?

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 am

After lots of deliberation, and considering all options, including carbon ones, I'm getting a Stringy foil, pretty much what Greg Drexler from BRM rides. By default it comes with an orange liquid force mast, but it can be mounted onto any extruded alloy mast that can take 2 or more bolts.

So that brings me to the question: What is the best alloy mast out there?
Some options:
1. Just go with the default orange liquid force.
1. New LF mast (happy / rocket foil)
2. Zeeko
3. Manta (the kite foil)
4. Any others?

Ideally:
* Must be strong, not overbuilt, so as light as possible without being flimsy. Preferably available at around 95 - 100cm, which is my preferred length, but might still settle for 90.
* Reasonably narrow and hydrodynamic - that's what puts me off the default orange LF mast in the first place. It's 2cm thick - that's surely going to be noticeable even for a freeride setup. It's nearly as thick as the fuselage, though it looks like it's quite light as the walls are thin. 13 - 15mm is fine.
* Must be available for purchase separately. That pretty much rules out the new liquid force, which appears only to be available in cut down form. I'm not going to buy a complete foil and strip it.
* A compatible base plate must be available - will be mounting it to a low volume board.
* Reasonably cost effective - I don't think the mast + baseplate should be more than around $300.

Any thoughts? Please feel free to post things like:
* actual not claimed weight (mast alone or mast + baseplate)
* mast profile photos - there are plenty of photos of exteriors, but this is probably the thing that matters.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: What is the best alloy mast out there?

Postby juandesooka » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:03 am

Right on....you'll be stoked with the stringy wings I am sure! I bought it largely because I want to foil like GregD, so if it gives me even a small advantage, I am in. I have really enjoyed mine, cuts the water like a knife, very maneuverable.

Anyways, when I got mine, Jim was out of LF masts. I found a slingshot mast online and he drilled another hole in fuselage for it -- approx 5mm over. I haven't compared them side by side, but I think the SS mast is thinner profile. They are relatively cheap....$130 US for full size, less for the shorter ones. Problem is, you need the baseplate too, which costs another $70.

I was looking into the Manta production 2nd's, unbranded at $50....but then you have to add cutting fee, threading, mounting system, shipping ... ended up being way too expensive.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 am

Another Stringyfoil owner here. I run mine with an orange LF mast because that's what I already had. If I was starting from scratch I'd go with the Slingshot mast as the price is very reasonable.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 am

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:03 am
Right on....you'll be stoked with the stringy wings I am sure! I bought it largely because I want to foil like GregD, so if it gives me even a small advantage, I am in. I have really enjoyed mine, cuts the water like a knife, very maneuverable.

Anyways, when I got mine, Jim was out of LF masts. I found a slingshot mast online and he drilled another hole in fuselage for it -- approx 5mm over. I haven't compared them side by side, but I think the SS mast is thinner profile. They are relatively cheap....$130 US for full size, less for the shorter ones. Problem is, you need the baseplate too, which costs another $70.

I was looking into the Manta production 2nd's, unbranded at $50....but then you have to add cutting fee, threading, mounting system, shipping ... ended up being way too expensive.
Yeah thanks, I'd like to foil like Greg too! At least now I won't be able to blame the equipment. :D The slingshot foil itself alleged to be really heavy (5.2kg), but the extra heft may be coming from the fuselage and elsewhere. My current foil weights 2.8kg. I know I'm going to be putting on weight, but hopefully not going too much over 4kg. I don't really think it matters that much while riding, it only matters while carrying on the beach, or if it domes you from behind. :x
Eltreato wrote: Another Stringyfoil owner here. I run mine with an orange LF mast because that's what I already had. If I was starting from scratch I'd go with the Slingshot mast as the price is very reasonable.
I'd definitely do that too if I had started with a LF. Going to look into the SS.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:51 am

Eltreato wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:16 am
Another Stringyfoil owner here. I run mine with an orange LF mast because that's what I already had. If I was starting from scratch I'd go with the Slingshot mast as the price is very reasonable.
Yep. Mast and plate is much more reasonable than LF or Naish...

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 am

stevez wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 am
3. Manta (the kite foil)
MANTASTRUT.jpg
R H

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 pm

stevez wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:12 am
Yeah thanks, I'd like to foil like Greg too! At least now I won't be able to blame the equipment. :D The slingshot foil itself alleged to be really heavy (5.2kg), but the extra heft may be coming from the fuselage and elsewhere. My current foil weights 2.8kg. I know I'm going to be putting on weight, but hopefully not going too much over 4kg. I don't really think it matters that much while riding, it only matters while carrying on the beach, or if it domes you from behind. :x
Everything is heavy so it all adds up :D with a lighter fuse and wing (which is very heavy) SS mast and plate would still be heavier than other by a bit, but not as heavy as the sum of all the parts. The advantage is the mast and plate together are like $170, versus $350 IIRC for the LF and Naish :o

stevez
Frequent Poster
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 am

revhed wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:12 am
stevez wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:22 am
3. Manta (the kite foil)
R H
That's a pretty solid mast profile. Manta 1 - LF 0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ig-thCF1Xs

At this stage I'm looking like going with the Zeeko 96cm mast. Thanks everyone for the input.

blancoh2o
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foils and surfboards
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby blancoh2o » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:12 am

I have used Stringy Wings with the LF orange and the LF newer Happy (blue) mast as well as the Slingshot mast. From my experience, the Blue Happy Mast is the best of the three. In lighter winds, the Stringy Wings are awesome because the amount of lift they provide. Mine are the low aspect ones, I believe the ones that Drexler uses are a bit higher aspect, probably more like medium aspect. When conditions get windier I use the Happy Wings with my blue mast and thats a hard to beat aluminum setup.
When I tried the Slingshot aluminum mast with Stringy Wings, it wasn't a good combination. I do however know quite a few people who like their SS masts with the Hoverglide wings. If I was going to get a SS mast, I would probably ride the SS wings too.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:58 am

stevez wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:12 am
That's a pretty solid mast profile.
And it is MUCH thinner than LF with a MUCH more advanced hydrodynamics!
I have not seen the Zeeko profile, maybe someone can post a pict?
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”