Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Looking for a good kite for Foiling, any tips?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Looking for a good kite for Foiling, any tips?

Postby phlow » Tue May 09, 2017 9:38 pm

Pedro -

My experience. I'm fanatic North Loyalist, only brand of LEI I've ever owned since 2002. I've been on Rebels since they were introduced in 2007, now on my 4th set (2015 Rebel 10 and 14). I'm 100kg and use the Rebel 14 in 7 to 10 knots, Rebel 10 in 10 to 16 knots, Fuse 7 above that. Rebels are good kites, my observations:
  • I can dive both Rebels with a good single dive surge that pops me straight up on foil, even in water which is shallower than the mast length
  • build quality is based more around durability than lightweight. you can foil once you get going in much lighter wind than the Rebel 14 needs to stay in the air. Prepare for the hindenburg.
  • 5th line is a good safety system, but I have had more self rescues in the 18 months I've been foiling than in the 13 years before that combined. As starsky said, rolling through the lines in light and flaky winds is a very real possibility. Trust Me. I am totally done with 5 line systems for foiling and will go to North 4 line kite (probably Neo).

I love Rebels, great kite, but it would not be my first choice for light wind foiling. Steady wind foiling on the 10m Rebel is beautiful.

Greenturtle
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Presque Isle, Erie PA
Gear: Turbine 19, Flite 14.5, 12, 10, Rally 7
Tons of boards for water, land, and snow

Postby Greenturtle » Mon May 15, 2017 2:56 pm

Just want to reiterate that single strut kites are not always lighter:

Solo v2 12m is 7.5 lbs

Flite v4 12m is 6.75 lbs

Difference of .75 lb is pretty huge considering the Flite has 3 struts

Actual size of these two kites is identical, laid out flat on the ground one on top of the other (Slightly different shapes of course) so that is not the difference in weight here.

Not sure on weights for other kites, these are two that I own and can compare.

Point is, there are some multi strut kites that are not only comparable in weight, but in fact are (a lot) lighter!

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Mon May 15, 2017 3:20 pm

If you want a kite that will hang in the air when the wind drops then I would consider a Foil kite for foiling and less swimming. I just picked up a Pulsion Light 12 m (72 kg).

For your weight check out the Pulsion Light 15 m www.conceptair.com Reviews on other threads on KF.

hshim007
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Yas Island
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: Mhl foil, Paipo boardriding Maui, cloud D kites
Brand Affiliation: Love the BRM Clouds!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby hshim007 » Mon May 15, 2017 4:02 pm

If you want to go Mach 10 then get a race foil and a foil kite. That will get your adrenalin going.

If you want to do carving, freestyle, waves and generally just have fun on your foil I would strongly recommend Boardriding Maui Cloud kites. So simple, so light and really fun to ride. They have amazing depower so you don't have to scare yourself going too fast on your foil. If you wanna scare yourself then by all means get a big foil kite and a race board and foil.

You can pretty much guess that I'm a freestyle rider ;-)

Alan
Medium Poster
Gear: Ozone

Postby Alan » Mon May 15, 2017 5:14 pm

For me the choice is coming down to the new Cloud vs. the new Airush Ultra. I have some 5 strut kites and some 3 strut wave kites and have found some annoyances using my old favorites on foil. I am interested more in freestyle carving / cruising. I think the characteristics I want are:

1. Ability to turn while depowered.

2. Floats in the air when lines go slack. (Not nose-heavy).

3. Standing on the beach with kite at 2:00, both hands off the bar, kite stays put.

I assume that total depower and other characteristics would be similar.

Can anyone speak to these traits? Thanks!

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon May 15, 2017 5:40 pm

When will manufacturers start publishing kite weights? (If you are wondering if they are listening this forum, they do -- apparently LF fixed their mast length spec).

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Pedro Marcos wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:11 am
this said, i dont think the weight of the kite matters that much in 12+ knots, im not looking for a lightwind machine
When I started I had rebels and fuses (2011-2012 models). Back then I wanted to use the 7m rebel for foiling in 14-15 kts, but it just wasnt any good. In lulls it would nose dive out of the sky. I always loved that kite in 22-35 knots on a twin tip, but in <15 kts it was just way too heavy. Not sure if the new ones are any better at staying up in "light" wind.

I switched to Ozone Edges (also 5 strut, but much lighter) and I was much happier.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Mon May 15, 2017 6:12 pm

Alan wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:14 pm
For me the choice is coming down to the new Cloud vs. the new Airush Ultra. I have some 5 strut kites and some 3 strut wave kites and have found some annoyances using my old favorites on foil. I am interested more in freestyle carving / cruising. I think the characteristics I want are:

3. Standing on the beach with kite at 2:00, both hands off the bar, kite stays put.

I can only speak for the Cloud C2, which is a couple generations old now:
1.) turning while depowered isn't very good.it is ok, but definitely one of the weaker points. I heard the newer ones are better in this regard but haven't tried them.
2.) drift is unreal. Noticeably better than my 3-strut wave kites.
3.) I've never actually tried taking my hands off the bar while standing on the beach, but they are quite stable in the air without input. They do want to head towards the water when you get going fast (i.e. require a lot of back-hand pressure), but mostly this is when you are over-powered on a foil.

The only specific caution I'd have about clouds is relaunch in waves. Relaunch is excellent in flat water, but terrible in even small waves. They do seem to hang in the air better than most kites.

For foiling, I've been using 3 strut wave kites above about 15 knots, and clouds (9 and 12 c2) below that.

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD
Has thanked: 0

Postby herbert » Tue May 16, 2017 12:58 am

Alan wrote:
Mon May 15, 2017 5:14 pm

You are describing the just released "D" model Boardriding Maui Clouds. Amazing drift...thus fantastic for surfing and hydrofoiling....and what I like them for: hydroiling in the surf. Floats when lines slacken. Turns with minimal input and when very depowered (a notable change from the prior Cloud models)....and turns so fast, if needed. I cannot speak to the Airush.

tswierkocki
Frequent Poster
Style: Hydrofoil, Surf, Freeriding
Gear: 3.7m to 10.4m Cloud kites
Cloud 9 S24 surf foil
107cm Kanaha pocket board for kite foiling
4’8” Stretch Trow surfboard

Postby tswierkocki » Tue May 16, 2017 1:54 am

I was hydrofoiling on my 3.7 Cloud D in gusts to 35mph today. Definitely turns very well fully depowered with slack rear lines. Drift is also improved with the new delta shape. It just hangs there while you ride straight at it.

Return to “Hydrofoil”