Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: JNJ 1st chinese KB Hydrofoil : 325 USD + shipment

Postby Starsky » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:45 pm

Bletti wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:16 pm

It could be built really well and tested and refined so no one knows till someone buys one. So who's going to be the test pilot?? :D
What are the odds of that when one of the photos has wingnuts with an excess 2cm of bolt holding it together.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Re: JNJ 1st chinese Hydrofoil : 325 USD + shipment

Postby alexrider » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:57 pm

airsurfer wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:46 pm
BWD wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:11 pm
Autoclaved high modulus carbon?
Papier mache?
Cast pot metal?
What is the secret?
"secret" most likely slave labor
... "most likely slave labor" typed he on his sweatshop manufactured smartphone.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:07 pm

The bicycle industry was in a similar situation a few years ago. Carbon frames and rims were extremely expensive from name brand manufacturers (most still are). But then some less expensive frames and rims from China popped up on the market. Few years later and they're now very competitive and in some cases just as good. Most of this stuff's already made there. Too bad most wings/fuselages/masts aren't cross compatible. We could see $50 carbon wings in all shapes and sizes popping up.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:23 pm

norcom wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:07 pm
The bicycle industry was in a similar situation a few years ago. Carbon frames and rims were extremely expensive from name brand manufacturers (most still are). But then some less expensive frames and rims from China popped up on the market. Few years later and they're now very competitive and in some cases just as good. Most of this stuff's already made there. Too bad most wings/fuselages/masts aren't cross compatible. We could see $50 carbon wings in all shapes and sizes popping up.
I'd consider something like just to get the carbon mast and fuselage. I can make my own wings to fit the screw pattern. However, it either has to be cheap enough to take a chance OR need some positive reviews about strength/quality. Mast takes all the forces here, is the weakest link. It snaps and you lose those fancy wings!

I think we'll see more along these lines. There's been a bunch on alibaba for a while and they appear to be the unbranded versions of the ones currently for sale. The usual story being the factory just makes some extra, since they have the mold and are tooled up. But the other story is that quality control means tossing out half of them ... then someone plucks them out of the dumpster and puts them on alibaba. I believe AliExpress is next level though, more buyer friendly, with guarantees on quality, no-questions-asked refunds, kinda like Amazon in China.
Last edited by juandesooka on Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 pm

OK, let's remove the mystery here: that lonely order is from myself. I thought that in the worst case I can combine the parts with the LF rocket that I own. Therefore, it can be considered as lazy man DIY project. To put it further into DIY perspective: somebody sells wood HF parts on ebay for half of that, and buyer is supposed to do the most laborous part, glassing, sanding, polishing.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:14 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:45 pm
OK, let's remove the mystery here: that lonely order is from myself. I thought that in the worst case I can combine the parts with the LF rocket that I own. Therefore, it can be considered as lazy man DIY project. To put it further into DIY perspective: somebody sells wood HF parts on ebay for half of that, and buyer is supposed to do the most laborous part, glassing, sanding, polishing.
:thumb:

A gambling man, that's awesome. Really look forward to your report, when you get it a month or two from now -- takes a long time for those ships to sail. It's a shame the shipping is that high. I've bought stuff from AliExpress before, most smaller things (eg fins) seem to be free shipping ... it's slow, as it comes by boat, but at least it's cheap. Having a quick look through the JNJ site, the shipping gets pretty wonky on big stuff. A sup for $300 had $700 shipping (or something like that).

If it looks like poorly made junk when it arrives, you should pursue returning it. I have read that aliexpress is pretty on top of returns, to legitimize it as an online retail shopping site, as opposed to the free wheeling alibaba pirate site.

PS when I click on the link for this, I get a popup "new to ali express? collect your $100 coupon". I haven't clicked on it, but if legit, that could cover most of the shipping cost!

PPS because I was curious, I tried signing up with a different email address, no coupon. Asked them why, because "available only on first come first serve basis", meaning they are all given away but the popup still there to suggest it.....that's lame and scammy, doesn't reflect well on them unfortunately.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:02 am

Its about time someone came up with something affordable...some of these companies charge over a grand for an alum foil with G10 wings that costs a maximum of $150 in materials is rather ridiculous...
Last edited by NYKiter on Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:32 am

Shipping is $70 to here, but my Axis foil just arrived.

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:59 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:32 am
Shipping is $70 to here, but my Axis foil just arrived.
Nice. Look forward to a report after your first test flight. :naughty:

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:26 am

Awesome tegirinenashi! Yes I'm sure worst case you can use the wings but hopefully it's great! When do you expect it to arrive?

Return to “Hydrofoil”