Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

toeside 180 tack ... anyone got advice

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
max
Very Frequent Poster

toeside 180 tack ... anyone got advice

Postby max » Sat Aug 26, 2017 1:01 pm

the toeside 180 tack looks a cool move when done by a few of the free ride masters . . . does anyone who can do it or is trying it have any advice for someone who is building up to giving it a go . . . something more than just give it a go?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: toeside 180 tack . . . anyone got advice

Postby Starsky » Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:08 pm

The smaller the kite the quicker you have to do it. A med to large kite is easier to learn on. Foil kites make it look almost slo mo.

You need decent speed. I generally accelerate a little in prep so I have good speed and am feathering the power with the bar out a bit.

Drift the kite high as you begin to point further upwind.

As it approaches zenith and before you lose speed, carve upwind with the express intent on going right through straight upwind quickly (I was stalling dead upwind for the first little while).

Keep your head up and looking over your lead shoulder past upwind toward the direction you want to go. Keep your body and the foil relatively vertical. There is a point where you have to go from heel side across the board to toe side and its much easier to do this with everything vertical. It helps to drive the 180 as more of a rotation driven by your hips and lower body as apposed to a hard carve initiated by banking the foil over. Sheet in as the board passes through upwind and the kite crosses the zenith. This will take a lot of your weight and let the foil keep flying as the speed drops. As your weight shifts across the centre line of the board from heel to toe, dive the kite onto the new tack while continuing to drive the board through the rotation with your feet. With smaller kites it will often loop. Nice because you exit without twisted lines.

Pitfalls:

Not having enough speed.

Leaning back too hard and canting the foil over to initiating the carve...... usually leads to falling off the tail.

Stalling the rotation with the board dead upwind. Like a lot of moves, I started learning this one with my head really only planning the first half. Most moves you kinda start that way, until you get some confidence as to how the move will feel.

I began to get it more consistently whey I started to really lead with my head. Keeping eyes up and looking over my shoulder onto the new tack while driving the rotation with my feet past the halfway mark.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Starsky wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:08 pm
things
any advice for what i might be doing wrong if i am getting pulled off in the direction i was originally travelling, even if my kite is at 12:00 or moving toward the new direction? i've landed a few roll tacks with a foot change but i still fall like this most of the time and can't figure out exactly what's wrong

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:39 pm

dylan* wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:56 pm
Starsky wrote:
things
any advice for what i might be doing wrong if i am getting pulled off in the direction i was originally travelling, even if my kite is at 12:00 or moving toward the new direction? i've landed a few roll tacks with a foot change but i still fall like this most of the time and can't figure out exactly what's wrong

Dylan, for both 180s and roll tacks, what you experience is what we all do wrong at first - so we ride "on" in our original direction and crash :roll:

The trick is simply to move the kite a lot further in the new direction, before tacking, that is all there is to it, believe me, it makes a HUGE difference :thumb:

With a bigger foil kite it is much easier, as they give you much more hangtime thus time, with balloons you have less time, but the principle is still the same - move the kite FAR over before going around (same thing with 360s btw), and you wont continue in your original path anymore - try it !

8) PF

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:52 pm

For me it helped to approach it as just a weak backroll.. where you don't put in enough energy (jump) to leave the water or to rotate all the way around.

:wink: CG
Last edited by cglazier on Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:53 pm

this is a move I hope to conquer before end of summer wind season, but have been unable to get my head around it, seems so foreign, "where do the lines go?"

I rigged up my 2m trainer kite last week and walked through it on land. So weird! I crashed the kite several times before figuring out the rotation. Kind of like backrolls in its mechanics. Key for me was to keep both hands on the bar and focus on not turning the bar at all as I duck around the lines, as I inevitably pulled the wrong way. Heel to toe was a lot easier than toe to heel.

I think I am ready to try it on the water, though I am sure the first few times will be a s**t show. I am probably overthinking it, but my fear is falling backwards and towards foil, with kite looping.....seems like potential for carnage.

Anyhoo.....point being that the land training seemed to help, if you have a mental block like me. Rig up a small kite and practice your dance moves.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 pm

Starsky wrote:

You need decent speed. I generally accelerate a little in prep so I have good speed and am feathering the power with the bar out a bit.

Drift the kite high as you begin to point further upwind.

As it approaches zenith and before you lose speed, carve upwind with the express intent on going right through straight upwind quickly (I was stalling dead upwind for the first little while).

Keep your head up and looking over your lead shoulder past upwind toward the direction you want to go. Keep your body and the foil relatively vertical. There is a point where you have to go from heel side across the board to toe side and its much easier to do this with everything vertical. It helps to drive the 180 as more of a rotation driven by your hips and lower body as apposed to a hard carve initiated by banking the foil over. Sheet in as the board passes through upwind and the kite crosses the zenith. This will take a lot of your weight and let the foil keep flying as the speed drops. As your weight shifts across the centre line of the board from heel to toe, dive the kite onto the new tack while continuing to drive the board through the rotation with your feet. With smaller kites it will often loop. Nice because you exit without twisted lines.

hi Starsky . . . awesome description but are you referring to the heel to toe-side 180 tack?

I was after the toe-side to heel-side 180 tack where you go into the move from toe-side. Maybe your description still applies if we swap …. across the centre line of the board from heel to toe … to across the centre line of the board from toe to heel?

Hope I have not misunderstood.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:18 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:53 pm
this is a move I hope to conquer before end of summer wind season, but have been unable to get my head around it, seems so foreign, "where do the lines go?"

I rigged up my 2m trainer kite last week and walked through it on land. So weird! I crashed the kite several times before figuring out the rotation. Kind of like backrolls in its mechanics. Key for me was to keep both hands on the bar and focus on not turning the bar at all as I duck around the lines, as I inevitably pulled the wrong way. Heel to toe was a lot easier than toe to heel.

I think I am ready to try it on the water, though I am sure the first few times will be a s**t show. I am probably overthinking it, but my fear is falling backwards and towards foil, with kite looping.....seems like potential for carnage.

Anyhoo.....point being that the land training seemed to help, if you have a mental block like me. Rig up a small kite and practice your dance moves.
What you described is what is going through my mind also.

Almost gave it a go yesterday but the wind was quite strong and my mind was more focused on the potential carnage as you describe than on the task at hand.

I think I also need to go through the dance move process either on land or on a surface riding board for the first few attempts.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 pm

max wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:13 pm

hi Starsky . . . awesome description but are you referring to the heel to toe-side 180 tack?

I was after the toe-side to heel-side 180 tack where you go into the move from toe-side. Maybe your description still applies if we swap …. across the centre line of the board from heel to toe … to across the centre line of the board from toe to heel?

Hope I have not misunderstood.
Oops!

Your totally right.

Haven't even tried a toe to heel 180 yet.

Sorry for the mislead.

ulx
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter-Ording, Germany
Favorite Beaches: Klitmøller (Denmark) and South Africa
Style: Strapless Surf- and Foilboard
Gear: Slingshot SST 8,7,6,5
Firewire Vader
Ketos Foil with Kakoo board 108x44

Postby ulx » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:16 pm

Basically, as always, just try again and again and again. It feels completely weird in the beginning but that changes with experience.

Speed is helping. During the move I fly the kite only with the back hand. Then I fly the kite to the zenith and lean far into the wind. Kind of pushing the bar into the new direction in front of my head. Meanwhile pulling the kite down in the new direction. Before I start the tack I always grab the bar only on one side of the lines. That makes it much easier to pull the kite down while leaning into the curve.

Look at the BRM videos. Greg does them so nicely.

Return to “Hydrofoil”