Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

-ing gear for the lightest of the winds

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

-ing gear for the lightest of the winds

Postby grigorib » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 pm

For freeride foiling in chest deep water and in search for ultimate lightwing I'm thinking of following combination -
12m Flysurfer Peak + Lift 150 on 28" mast
My logic behind it - if that kite doesn't fly, there's no wind. If that foil doesn't fly - there's no pull.
Not the most efficient kite, but one of the lightest and sits deep enough for freeride.

Comments? Suggestions?

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Re: -ing gear for the lightest of the winds

Postby abel » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:01 pm

Interesting combo, but I would ask the company why they don't mention that the Peak 3 also suits water:
"Universal Application - The 2017 Flysurfer Peak 3 is as easy to fly as an entry-level school kite but designed for high-adrenaline adventures. Whether it’s on land or snow, with a kite landboard or a buggy, skis or snowboards, for freeride or teaching purposes, adults or children, beginners or advanced, for urban street kiting or as a traveling companion; the 2017 Flysurfer Peak 3 is your ultimate weapon for your daily session."
mmm.... :roll:

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:29 pm

because it is open cell kite. Use it on water only if you good enough :-)

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:34 pm

If you wanted to figure out what's the most fun for super light wind trying that combo out would be a worth a shot.
I bought a Ketos free ride xl that's 880 cm for light wind, but I discovered that it becomes overpowered very quickly once I get up and apparent wind increases. So in real life, I always try to get my 700 cm FR2 wing going even though it's light, because I know that it will be more fun and have way more range. Some day I'll be unable to get going on the 700 cm and switching to the 880 cm will save the day, but it hasn't happened yet. The wind usually finishes dying while I am changing the wing.
For light wind kites I have a Could 17, and Pansh a15 in 12m and 15m. The Cloud will not stay in the air well enough, but the Pansh kites (in ultralight cloth) always fly well below the wind speed necessary to actually kite. So I end up on the 15m Pansh when it's really light. I am not sure the peak's extra ability to stay up is going to help. Enough power to get going will be the limiting factor with a light foil kite.
I bet a super light and super efficient race kite will be the most fun, assuming you have the necessary skills.

sflinux
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: Joe Blair, L41, Meyerhoffer, Rusty, Tom Wegener, & Cloud IX

Postby sflinux » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:37 pm

I would guess that the Peak falls into the same category as Nasa Star3 (NPW). A NPW has good low end pull but if there is a lull in the wind, I would think that the session would be game over, and same goes for the Peak. A heavier relaunchable kite will survive a wind lull.
For the lightest of winds, I would explore a hydrofoil like Kai Lenny rides, one that you can pump, or even consider a SUP with a hydrofoil attached that you can ride open ocean swell. A SUP with hydrofoil attached would be cool in that you'd have floatation for an easy paddle back if the wind totally shuts down.

Pedro Marcos
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Pedro Marcos » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:40 pm

grigorib wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 pm
For freeride foiling in chest deep water and in search for ultimate lightwing I'm thinking of following combination -
My logic behind it - if that kite doesn't fly, there's no wind. If that foil doesn't fly - there's no pull.
Not the most efficient kite, but one of the lightest and sits deep enough for freeride.

Comments? Suggestions?
My Ozone Chrono UL 15m arrived today, as soon as i have some lightwinds ill test it and post here how it was.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:56 am

Cloud D 13.4 - so far the lightest for me. Down to 7 mph wind with a big 150 Lift wing and a 28" mast and a 40L carbon Temavento board.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:27 am

grigorib wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Comments? Suggestions?

Noone has really tried the Peak as a light wind kite on hydrofoils - I remember we have had several threads about this very kite as I were really interested some years ago too.

Now our light and marginal wind gear is much more refined, better kites lighter kites from most brands - thus the need for a kite like this is maybe not evident anymore ?
Earlier only (light) foil kites could hang in low wind, nowadays the LEI kites can hang just as good as foil kites, some even better.

Being wiser now, I will say you wont get the ultimate marginal wind kite at all, as we all know now that the strutless and onestrut and other light LEI kites can hang in way less wind than you can ride.

Thus I would expect the Peak to have an even bigger gap from being able to fly, to being able to ride :roll:

Which is good if that is your goal solely, but many seek to be able to ride in less wind instead, which requires a more effective and peak power kite.

8) PF

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 am

I bought a 12m Peak 3 and I'll tell you know it's Not the answers to your light wind prayers .

Sure it'll sit at the side of the window in next to no wind , but it's just not powerful or fast enough for light wind foiling .

So much so that I've now sold it ( at a big loss ) after three months

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:08 am

Flag53 wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:34 am
I bought a 12m Peak 3 and I'll tell you know it's Not the answers to your light wind prayers .

Sure it'll sit at the side of the window in next to no wind , but it's just not powerful or fast enough for light wind foiling .

So much so that I've now sold it ( at a big loss ) after three months

Uuuh, thanks Flag53, and sorry you had to be the Guinea Pig, but a big thanks from all others in here who had the thought :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”