A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Nigel no mates

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:51 am

God,

how many were/are anywhere near Toby's level of tricks? ;)

Sure I'll try the HF, but man, again, how many can do triple 360 with or without board off's? Double front rolls? One front roll? :)

Just to make sure, I ride with DukeSilver and know his level. His is a good kiter tho.

BUT, and there is a but, a lot of fellow kiters are following friends with the HF decision. It is a sensation first, but lets be fair, it's still "mowing the lawn", with a different tool in my eyes.

What makes surfing/TT kiting great is exactly water contact. The HF takes this out from the sensation of water skiing. Or carving with a splash (like we do on snow too). We've seen some spectacular splashes over the years, none with the HF right.

So, for someone who is pushing his/her own style, let's say airstyle/at. at., I do not see any benefits of changing the tool to mow the lawn again. It takes years to master one particular style and be good in it. If is racing, it's that, boosting etc...

Riding HF is not a style in my books. Sorry. It doesn't even look particularly stylish (even if sitting on it, that's so lame)...Again, a huge edging, pushing out huge water which can be seen from a distance is absolutely amassing for me. It's fighting the elements, that is. Foiling is just not that. It's more balancing on a thin rope, as I see it.

Whatever floats your boat tho:) For me it's the fact that I'm 50yo and still can do whatever young guns are not even attempting (yet, or just some do).
Last edited by downunder on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:06 am

OK, whatever
but when a TT is lawn mowning the foil is touring!

The wind angles that you get and the ease to cover long distances transform the lawn mowning to a day trip !
Last edited by Kykeon on Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 am

^
That was possible with the raceboard, remember? ;) And we did have a dude who would out jump anyone on a TT with his race board. And slap a back roll here and there.

Again, the spectacular pics will be always great water/snow carving with a splash. That's not going to change, or you kidding yourself. The HF is removing this sensation. Nothing better than super duper carving fresh powder. If some tool is gliding above powder/water, that's not it.

Don't listen to me, Toby will tell that he has no time to play with a HF when so many tricks are waiting for him. It is nothing special to do foiling, in fact, my Sonic or R1 can go upwind heaps with a TT and can race guys on the foils (tried already;). If I do that with my race board, would be pretty much the same.

The only benefit for HF is light/lighter wind. Sure, use a super small kite in mid wind if that makes you smile. Nothing wrong. It is just a tool.

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:43 am

Hmm
Excuse me but I have a hard time to get your point /problem.

Yes, HF is not a discipline, it's a tool.
Same as TT, and within TT there is unhooked, freestyle, free ride, course race etc.
Same with the much younger HF
Greg doing his maneuvers is one thing, racing is another ...
So what?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am

No problem with me :)

So is mowing the lawn...99% of foilers are doing just that.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:56 am

downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:09 am
No problem with me :)

So is mowing the lawn...99% of foilers are doing just that.
I don't think down under has got to a level yet where he understands the glory of hf. Sure it is not a spectator sport. You have to experience the speed the carving sensation. When charging it is certainly not mowing the lawn.

But each to there own. You don't need to foil, nor do you need to do airstyle tricks.

If you are grinning that's all that matters.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:48 am

downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 am
Nothing better than super duper carving fresh powder. If some tool is gliding above powder/water, that's not it.
You jumped the shark just there.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:18 pm

Each to his own. There are usually a few hydrofoilers out at my usual location. If I had all the time in the world I would probably try it. But in comparison to the TT / surfboard riders I would say hydrofoilers 'mow the lawn' the most. The only person I saw doing crazy jumps on a hydrofoil was Guy Bridge, and he is one of the best riders in the world. Everyone else that I have seen hydrofoiling seems to be doing very little other than going backwards and forwards. Waves are out unless you are really good, shallow water is out, high winds are out unless you're very good, so yes do it if you like but enough pretending that you are the only guys having fun or doing anything cool! I can have fun in less than 10 knots with a foil kite and a twin tip or surfboard anyway.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Dave K wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:41 am
I’ve been living on the Outer Banks for the last 10 years and playing around with this stuff since the prehistoric days of wood boom windsurfers. We’re still pretty much the epicenter of all things kiting on the US east coast. Guys like Dimitri have made this place a part time home for many years. Trip and Matt pioneered the kiteboarding resort concept with Real Watersports and endless stretches of windy shallow water to teach tt kiting. Also the unique combo of waves on one side and flat water on the other.

Ironic that what makes this location idea for traditional tt learning/riding (wind, shallow water) makes it less ideal for novice kite foiling. Regardless people who come here to tt and/or wave kite often bring their foil gear as well. The shops/resorts/instructors generally sell and teach foiling. Places like Real encourage all their instructors to get out and foil on the light wind days. AND mid mast length (60-80 cm) flat water foiling is really evolving into its own here. There’s a lot to be said for skill progression while foiling in 4 ft of flat water with a sandy bottom. Same as tt learning, just a wee bit deeper.

No one wants to admit it but foiling is the most popular with us ole timers who’ve been around these sports for awhile. As the kiteboarding population ages we will get more refugees from the unhooked/big wave strapless/mega loop crowd and their aging joints :D . Definitely not exponential growth due to the learning curve, but a steady supply of newcomers nonetheless.
Excellent post. I have to agree with the shallow water and short mast comment after learning myself and teaching people on long masts and typical sites with gradual depth, waves, sand bars etc. It can be really frustrating for people trying to progress and not being able to even get started due to depth problems etc.

Also agree on the "guys who have been around these sports a long time" moving to foiling. Wildly easier on the body over the long term but still a major thrill with just the right amount of risk and extra skill required to make it addictive.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster

Postby downunder » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:41 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:48 am
downunder wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:10 am
Nothing better than super duper carving fresh powder. If some tool is gliding above powder/water, that's not it.
You jumped the shark just there.
Ummm, can u spray when carving with a HF?

Did u ever carved fresh powder with a snowboard? Im just wondering.

Put it this way, can u spray another kiter with a HF, as we do sometimes to each other? As a bad joke :)

We need to be realistic, if HF will not get mainstream, it will die out. To get it mainstream, it must be:

- easy to learn
- look super easy to learn
- look super attractive for everyone

Thoughts?

Return to “Hydrofoil”